Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

agreed.  was thinking the writing has dropped off, but hopefully they're just building the foundation with some mundane details.  

I think it was just a typical episode 1 setting up the storylines for the season. HBO sent out screeners of the first 6 episodes and the reviews have been glowing.

Thought last night's episode was kind of weak, although I found the final scene with Barry and Gene, along with the ending credits, inexplicably gripping.  Getting tired of Sally's narcissism, and her whole story line.  Hopeful that Noho Hank will soon get back to being the completely amoral, ruthless Hank we all know, instead of the happy, content Hank we've seen so far this season.  I think the show would be better served if each episode was one hour instead of 30 minutes as it would be easier to develop characters and story lines.

I don't think "ruthless" would be in the top 50 adjectives I think of when it comes to NoHo Hank.

I love this show and the first two seasons bought a lot of trust and patience with me, but the start of the season has really fallen flat to me.  It feels like the show has been written into a corner with nowhere to go.  The main characters aren't really interacting.  Fuchs is in the middle of nowhere.  Barry and Sally have rarely been in the same place.  Cousineau has spent the bulk of the time in the trunk of the car.  The acting class - where so much humor was mined in the first two seasons - has dissolved.  There just is not a whole lot of interaction happening with the main characters.  There is only so far you can take the Barry holding Cousineau hostage subplot.  Something is going to have to resolve, but it is hard seeing that happen and still having the show able to move forward.  I appreciate the overarching theme of exploring forgiveness has been introduced, and I'm very much hoping the show can pull it all off.

I watched the first two episodes and have no desire to watch the third episode. It's about as entertaining as watching paint dry. The drama is unappealing, the humor falls flat which makes the characters unlikable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1