Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

On 4/9/2018 at 10:07 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

The text messages are cracking me up. "BULLET DELIVERED!!!" with confetti had me rolling.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Thiefery said:

and the "Hang in There " Cat meme

These had me rolling...... Fucking hilarious.  Hank is comic gold the first 3 episodes.  He also plays an assassin in Gotham.  

This is maybe my favorite comedy to come out this year.  Hader is killing it as the straight man and has directed all the episodes too.  Hoping for a quick pickup by HBO, who has a pretty good track record of giving out 2nd seasons.

• Like 2

Bored to Death is on my list to go back and watch again, but (absent any info on how it's doing with ratings) I don't see Barry as having the same problem or really being that similar.  The jokes are mostly jokes and you can explain the premise of the show in a single sentence that conveys what it is.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah this is kind of how I feel.  I reminds me of "Bored to Death" in a way.... I LOVED that show but it had a very specific sense of humor about it that wouldn't play to the masses... and I know HBO isn't all about the ratings and they do let smart shows breath a little... but I just worry Barry will suffer the same fate as Bored to Death... have a really strong cult following that loves it but won't be enough to carry on for multiple seasons... even on HBO.

I hadn't really thought of that, but it's a good comparison. I loved Bored to Death and my wife was indifferent. So far we've both had the same reaction to Barry for whatever that's worth.

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Bored to Death is on my list to go back and watch again, but (absent any info on how it's doing with ratings) I don't see Barry as having the same problem or really being that similar.  The jokes are mostly jokes and you can explain the premise of the show in a single sentence that conveys what it is.

Yeah I think Barry is probably a little bit more palatable to a larger audience than Bored to Death was, but it's still pretty unconventional.  It's really funny but then it can be pretty dark. Barry strangling the guy by the fence was a pretty brutal scene that might turn people off who are looking for a "ha ha" Bill Hader show.   

I (and many of us here) seem to love it, but I wonder (hope) that a wider audience does as well so the show sticks around for a while.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:07 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

The text messages are cracking me up. "BULLET DELIVERED!!!" with confetti had me rolling.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Thiefery said:

and the "Hang in There " Cat meme

I'd watch a show just with this guy and his texts.

• Like 1

Another soild ep. Did anyone believe the girl wasn't going to drop him as soon as someone else with better connections came along? Un-defeated.

Should be interesting with the interloper trying to muscle in on Barry's gig.

The gulp text was hilarious, but this was also a pretty good background chuckle - 

Screen_Shot_2018_04_23_at_8_37_56_PM.png

a) everyone else has acting headshots up and is a barista/works at the gap then there's Barry, the auto parts salesman from Cleveland with the DL photo where he looks like a murderer or at least a peeping tom

"My gut says we're missing something"
"Boss, do you think any of these cupcakes could honestly be a criminal?"

also, the black guy - "ties to drug dealers", and they guy whose picture he's holding "has part in CSI"

This show is so good. I hate that it's only half an hour and I have wait a week to get my fix.

I hope they never kill the bald dude. But I'm really hating the "blonde" chick. Hopefully they start redeeming her or kill her off.

This show is kicking ass. So much to like about it. The drama feels authentic which is a great setup for the comedic moments. Barry playing the straight man works perfectly with all of the absurdity that surrounds him. The Fonz and Root brought their A game.

The dinner "date" with the detective has been my favorite scene so far. Their bizarre flirtation killed me.

Baldy is a good character too but I think he is dead now.

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

This show is kicking ass. So much to like about it. The drama feels authentic which is a great setup for the comedic moments. Barry playing the straight man works perfectly with all of the absurdity that surrounds him. The Fonz and Root brought their A game.

The dinner "date" with the detective has been my favorite scene so far. Their bizarre flirtation killed me.

Baldy is a good character too but I think he is dead now.

Wrong Baldy.

30946612_992250854265952_428909465836716

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 12:36 PM, henrygandorf said:

jesus the first 10 minutes, i had to rewind just to catch my breath and hear everything.

"the scottish king" and winkler saying he's 47 years old.  little details are slaying me.

i thought he was 65-70, but he's 73.  wow.

In that one station scene, I liked the partner/detective in the background expressing concern about a new lot he parked in. 

Edited by CurlyDumps