Tell me about "Clear Travel" biometric check-in

Parliament

Dont get it for the 95% of the time where the pre line is 10 deep and 2 mins wait.  Get if for when you show up for a flight and for some reason they have the pre line closed and the regular line is 50 deep or worse and its a 50 min wait.   I show up to the airport 45 mins before my flights leaves.   There is almost no line or blip that will keep me from making my flight.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, midtown said:

Dont get it for the 95% of the time where the pre line is 10 deep and 2 mins wait.  Get if for when you show up for a flight and for some reason they have the pre line closed and the regular line is 50 deep or worse and its a 50 min wait.   I show up to the airport 45 mins before my flights leaves.   There is almost no line or blip that will keep me from making my flight.  

This.  I never worry about making a flight if I am leaving from an airport that has Clear.

Edited by AustinMT

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't fly all that much, but the Precheck line in Denver is never all that bad.  And it moves fast.

Yup, I've flown in the early morning, middle of the afternoon and in the evening out of Denver - never spent more than 10 min waiting at the Pre line. 

Denver lines always look bad entering from the upper level curbside drop off but when you get down to the pre-check entrance you skim right through.

My last 3 trips out of IAH Terminal C pre-check I walked right up to the ID check.

A colleague of mine uses Reagan Airport a lot and she says Clear has really saved her a couple times.  I don't fly  DC enough to know one way or the other.

Edited by gecko

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

they have a new co-op program with united.  if you have  united presidential card you get a pretty good discount, and can add family members to your account for $50 (this may not be discounted), but the regular yearly fee is discounted for sure.  totally worth it IMO. 

Yup. I was planning to let my membership lapse at year end because I primarily fly out of EWR, but will definitely be renewing now that they came to an agreement. 

Clear has been pretty handy most places.  However, flying out of Houston Hobby one time, they had the ticket/ID check points moved waaaaay back by the start so the bulk of their line was between the guys checking ID’s and the metal detectors.  It seemed like bullshit as I’ve never seen it setup that way any other place.  I couldn’t help but think it was some kind of attempt at giving Clear the finger.  It essentially made Clear worthless because Clear only expedites you past the the ticket/ID guy, not through the metal detector part.  They appeared to flip their labor force and had a bunch of ID checkers placed way out by the start of the process with a small area for lines leading up to them, but only a couple metal detectors running with a large area for lines leading up to them.

This is why I have Clear — scene from Friday morning in Austin. The TSA line at the main (East) checkpoint started where you see the older lady in the blue shirt.  The TSA line at the mid checkpoint was even longer.

Arrived at the terminal 1:05 before my flight, checked a bad, and breezed through, knowing from the time I left my house I would have plenty of time to do this, grab a coffee and a taco, and send some e-mails before my flight without having to stress.

spacer.png

• Like 1

The old lady in blue is exactly the kind of person who should not be allowed to have Pre-Check. 

There needs to be a 50 flights in the past 5 years prerequisite so that everyone in that line knows what they're doing and are most likely going to be efficient at it.

Edited by CooterBrown

56 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There needs to be a 50 flights in the past 5 years prerequisite so that everyone in that line knows what they're doing and are most likely going to be efficient at it.

I'll settle for a required online class.  Paid for by the airlines.   This class will cover not only security.  Pre and poors but also boarding procedures, luggage overhead bin storage and how not to clap at landing and other moronic behaviors.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'll settle for a required online class.  Paid for by the airlines.   This class will cover not only security.  Pre and poors but also boarding procedures, luggage overhead bin storage and how not to clap at landing and other moronic behaviors.  

And my personal favorite:  how not to be the jackass that barges his way down the aisle as soon as the plane stops instead of waiting his turn

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The old lady in blue is exactly the kind of person who should not be allowed to have Pre-Check. 

I would pay extra to use an “expert” terminal and not the “beginner” terminal. 

• 11 months later...

My CLEAR just came up for renewal.   Negative on that right now.  So I logged on to cancel the renew and they offered to pause it for 3 months with the option to cancel at the end of that 3.  Seemed like a no brainer with the hopes we are up and flying again but still doubtful.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

My CLEAR just came up for renewal.   Negative on that right now.  So I logged on to cancel the renew and they offered to pause it for 3 months with the option to cancel at the end of that 3.  Seemed like a no brainer with the hopes we are up and flying again but still doubtful.

I had to fly for work last week, Chicago to Seattle. The airports were fairly busy. Obviously nowhere close to before, but not a graveyard either.

8 hours ago, midtown said:

I imagine they'll be lucky if they're not bankrupt in 3 months.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I imagine they'll be lucky if they're not bankrupt in 3 months.

Yep. I don't see the benefit of Clear anytime soon. Global Entry gives you TSA Pre-Check for 5 years for $100. Even non-TSA pre-check security lines will probably be non-existent for six months or until a vaccine,  so what's the usefulness of Clear?

Yep. I don't see the benefit of Clear anytime soon. Global Entry gives you TSA Pre-Check for 5 years for $100. Even non-TSA pre-check security lines will probably be non-existent for six months or until a vaccine,  so what's the usefulness of Clear?
Right now, probably not much benefit from just having pre-check. However, when I was flying more for work it was nice to have as so many people have pre-check now that line was getting longer and longer. I liked having Clear and Pre-Check, which essentially took you to the front of the pre-check line with no wait.