Midsommar (from the director of Hereditary)

ajax

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this tonight.  Gut reaction:  The acting wasn't as strong as Hereditary but I thought the story hung together better and there's a constant sense of dread that I don't remember Hereditary having.  Definitely more gore.  Pay attention to everything in the frame.  Take a piss before you go in because it clocks in at 2.5 hours.  I think anyone who thought Hereditary was well done will get something out of Midsommar.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 PM, Continental Op said:

Saw this tonight.  Gut reaction:  The acting wasn't as strong as Hereditary but I thought the story hung together better and there's a constant sense of dread that I don't remember Hereditary having.  Definitely more gore.  Pay attention to everything in the frame.  Take a piss before you go in because it clocks in at 2.5 hours.  I think anyone who thought Hereditary was well done will get something out of Midsommar.  

I enjoyed it quite a bit but I didn’t find it to be a scary at all. It’s a visual feast though and I really enjoyed the humor and the arc of the main character. 

I really liked it but would agree that it doesn't have nearly as much of a terror/dread element as hereditary.  The women acting in unison during the sex scene and then when Dani broke down crying was kind of freaky but also had me want to laugh.

"So we're just going to ignore the bear?"  

"It's a bear."

Stunning visuals. Need to get high and see it again. Acting was adequate which i think worked well for the feel of the movie and I liked how the murals foreshadowed the fucked up shit. 

I love gore and was not disappointed.

No doubt some crossver themes from Hereditary which I enjoyed catching.

Trying figure out what message this film maker is trying send with his fetish of savant kids with special needs.

• 2 weeks later...
Why was I thinking the movie Hereditary was made by the director of The Witch?
This certainly gets in the queue.

I actually was wondering the same thing and looked it up when I got home. However, whereas The Witch was more of a continued slow burn, I though both Hereditary and Midsommar kept ramping up the tension, unease and disorientation to their crazy crescendo endings.

I managed to fit it in today before it left theaters.  I liked it but still liked Hereditary a bit more. 

Spoiler

Why did she suddenly look happy and satisfied at the very end?  Was she supposed to be in on it all along?   Or did she suddenly give in and accept her place in this community? I must have missed something.

Edited by Tom

I am stunned at how many people don't understand the ending. If you've ever paid attention to human psychology at all, you knew what the only possible outcome was. Holy shit, have none of these people ever actually had anything tragic happen in their own lives?  Seriously. This wasn't a "horror" movie, it was a psycho-drama, and it was utterly and completely bad-ass.

• 6 months later...

I liked it.  Kind of freaked me out a bit because the main actress looks exactly like the girlfriend I had while in college.

The movie reminded me of an adult version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Five folks find a cool place and meet a cruel fate as a result of some selfish act... except for the last one who also slipped up in the movie, but got the "reward" at the end.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

It was visually entertaining, but I pretty rapidly figured out that it was Wicker Man redux.

Spoiler

What did the couple do to get "sacrificed"?  I was distracted when they were introduced, but they didn't seem to do anything to warrant their deaths?  

Also, were some of the sacrifices delimbed before being placed "on the altar"?  A couple of them seemed rather mat-like.

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was visually entertaining, but I pretty rapidly figured out that it was Wicker Man redux.

Hide contents

What did the couple do to get "sacrificed"?  I was distracted when they were introduced, but they didn't seem to do anything to warrant their deaths?  

Also, were some of the sacrifices delimbed before being placed "on the altar"?  A couple of them seemed rather mat-like.

Spoiler

Not sure about the Brit couple.  The couple from America has:

• selfish boyfriend
  • the black dude that broke the rule about going into the sacred temple place
  • the dorky guy that messed around with the wrong girl

•  

I liked it, but not as much as Hereditary.  I know Wicker Man was a notoriously awful movie, so I never saw it.  If this ripped it off that's a shame. 

I got the sense that the sacrifices were going to happen regardless, so to me you didn't have to necessarily screw up in order for it to happen.  None of the outside people except the guy who snuck in to the temple did anything that was expressly forbidden.  As no one really explained any rules to them.  I think the plan was always to sacrifice the new comers and two of the tribe, maybe not the main character because she was a late addition to the trip, and with her winning the dance off she actually got to pick the last to go in.

The scene with the sister in her room with a duct tape mask tethered to the car exhaust disturbed me a bit.  That was a nice way to kick off the movie.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I liked it, but not as much as Hereditary.  I know Wicker Man was a notoriously awful movie, so I never saw it.  If this ripped it off that's a shame. 

I got the sense that the sacrifices were going to happen regardless, so to me you didn't have to necessarily screw up in order for it to happen.  None of the outside people except the guy who snuck in to the temple did anything that was expressly forbidden.  As no one really explained any rules to them.  I think the plan was always to sacrifice the new comers and two of the tribe, maybe not the main character because she was a late addition to the trip, and with her winning the dance off she actually got to pick the last to go in.

The scene with the sister in her room with a duct tape mask tethered to the car exhaust disturbed me a bit.  That was a nice way to kick off the movie.

Noooooo. There are two Wicker Men.  The 1973 British version is fantastic.  The 2006 remake with Cage is meh by comparison, but not an horrible movie on its own.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not sure about the Brit couple.  The couple from America has:

• selfish boyfriend
  • the black dude that broke the rule about going into the sacred temple place
  • the dorky guy that messed around with the wrong girl

•  
Spoiler

The dorky guy pissed on the sacred tree.  The "wrong girl" simply lured him to his demise.

Agree that the sacrifices were a foregone conclusion, but the filmmaker had to add some moral failing, it seemed.

Did I miss what about this movie was even remotely scary?  You knew what was happening from the “We are going to a festival at a small village in Sweden” scene.   The only creeps were for her smile, the cliff thing and the opening scenes - otherwise it was just watching it play out. I guess there was a prolonged sense of dread but it played out so slowly that it kind of dissipated.   

The cinematography was pretty and the costumes and sets were interesting but it just didn’t seem like it was trying to be scary. Just miserable.  

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Did I miss what about this movie was even remotely scary?  You knew what was happening from the “We are going to a festival at a small village in Sweden” scene.   The only creeps were for her smile, the cliff thing and the opening scenes - otherwise it was just watching it play out. I guess there was a prolonged sense of dread but it played out so slowly that it kind of dissipated.   

The cinematography was pretty and the costumes and sets were interesting but it just didn’t seem like it was trying to be scary. Just miserable.  

It's not a horror movie.  If you are cataloging for Prime or Netflix or something and your choices are family/comedy/drama/horror/sci-fi it's going to get stuck in the horror section because of a few creepy elements, and you'll be disappointed if you click on it thinking you found a horror gem.  Prolonged sense of dread describes it pretty much what they were shooting for imo.  Dread is the main characters only emotion until the end of the movie.

What a bad thread. There are no surprises or shocks in Midsommar, by design. The director literally shows you throughout what’s going to happen.

This movie is not a horror movie or a thriller, and it has nothing in common with the Wicker Man other than the framing device of ritualistic seasonal killing.

It’s a pre-Christian-style fairy tale about an orphan girl being made into a queen, placed in the context of modern times. The story begins with her orphaned in tragedy, and ends with her being adopted into a new family, cleansed her of grief and freed of fraught old attachments.

Ever read some of the weirder Grimm Brothers stories in their original form, like Hans the Hedgehog or The Juniper Tree? That’s more or less what Ari Aster is doing here. It’s fantastic.

• Like 7