Songs with “blues” in the title

Pato del Muerto

1996. Randy California and Ed Cassidy put a new Spirit band together. It included founding member Mark Andes’ brother Matt and Matt’s daughter Rachel. They were going to go on tour. I was finally going to see them live.

Before the tour, Randy went to visit his mom in Hawaii. One day on the beach, Randy’s 12-year-old son got caught in a riptide. Randy rushed to his aid and managed to toss him to safety. But Randy was sucked out to see and his body was never recovered. The tour was canceled and I never got to see Spirit live.

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

1996. Randy California and Ed Cassidy put a new Spirit band together. It included founding member Mark Andes’ brother Matt and Matt’s daughter Rachel. They were going to go on tour. I was finally going to see them live.

Before the tour, Randy went to visit his mom in Hawaii. One day on the beach, Randy’s 12-year-old son got caught in a riptide. Randy rushed to his aid and managed to toss him to safety. But Randy was sucked out to see and his body was never recovered. The tour was canceled and I never got to see Spirit live.

It looks like California fell into the sea.

csi miami GIF

1 hour ago, Deej said:

It looks like California fell into the sea.

You probably think that’s funny. Actually, Randy was born Randy Wolfe. He was given the name California by a guy who called himself Jimmy James when Randy joined his NYC band the Blue Flames. Randy was just 16 years old at the time and James gave him the name “California” because there was already another Randy in the band. That Jimmy was actually named Johnny by his parents. Last name Hendrix.

That band leader got the opportunity to go to London and form a band. He invited Randy to go with him but Randy’s mom refused, saying he was too young. Jimmy James became Jimi Hendrix and his new band was called The Experience. Perhaps you’ve heard of them.

But Jimi didn’t forget his friend. Later on Randy California’s band Spirit was offered the spot before Hendrix at Woodstock. Unfortunately, Spirit’s manager declined that opportunity because he thought it would be better for the band to go on a radio tour promoting their latest single, “I Got A Line On You.” That stupid festival in upstate New York probably wouldn’t amount to much.

The story of Spirit is a great rock ‘n’ roll tragedy. They were more popular among other musicians than they were with the general public. If you don’t know their music then you’re missing out.

My best sounding bootleg is from their performance at the Texas International Pop Festival in 1969. And yes, Zeppelin totally ripped off Taurus for the intro to Stairway to Heaven. They ripped off everybody. They also used to “jam” (for lack of a better word because improvisation wasn’t their strong suit) on the Spirit song Fresh Garbage. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The jurors in the trial didn’t even get to listen to some douchebag guitarist with no connection to either band make the case for Zeppelin. They certainly were forbidden to even listen to a recording of the song Taurus by Spirit. They were only allowed to look at sheet music. It’s not like Zeppelin isn’t known for being huge rip-off artists with a long history of claiming other artists’ music as their own. They were also monumental assholes who exemplified the self-indulgent decadence of rock music at the time and used their wealth and a team of lawyers to buy their way out of every criminal prosecution against them. You should read Bill Graham’s autobiography.

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The jurors in the trial didn’t even get to listen to some douchebag guitarist with no connection to either band make the case for Zeppelin. They certainly were forbidden to even listen to a recording of the song Taurus by Spirit. They were only allowed to look at sheet music. It’s not like Zeppelin isn’t known for being huge rip-off artists with a long history of claiming other artists’ music as their own. They were also monumental assholes who exemplified the self-indulgent decadence of rock music at the time and used their wealth and a team of lawyers to buy their way out of every criminal prosecution against them. You should read autobiography.

You should actually listen to his explanation. Following your reasoning Spirit should be sued by those that played that shit before them. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, Deej said:

You should actually listen to his explanation. Following your reasoning Spirit should be sued by those that played that shit before them. 

I did. It’s bullshit. Zep fans are the worst. At least admit they were monumental song-stealing assholes and a bunch of decrepit douchebags.

And pedophiles.

guitarist-jimmy-page-of-the-rock-band-le