Cobra Kai

Red Five

Watched the first two episodes last night. It was actually good. Many funny parts, but not many jokes like I thought there would be. It actually seems very realistic and not exaggerated. Like Daniel-san's daughter does the stereotypical "throw a party while the parents are away" but it's actually just a bunch of kids playing in the pool and doesn't involve any sex/drugs/alcohol. Daniel-san is also kind of a jerk to Johnny, but not really mean, and you can tell her really cares. Like 

Johnny is really awesome in the show too. His Rocky 3-esque driving montage was spot on and occupying this really interesting space between serious and a spoof.

• Hook 'Em 1

woke up in the middle of the night and got 7 episodes in before work, the series is way better than I expected.

as said the rockyesque driving montage was great, and how that scene ended was unexpected/hilarious.  felt really sad for johnny.  the golf n' stuff scene made me super nostalgic for the 80s.

I have a trip this weekend and it's going to be difficult resisting the urge to finish when I get home instead of saving the episodes offline to watch during the plane ride.

the last two episodes were a letdown honestly.  old tropes and character decisions that didn't match with the rest of the series. thought there could have been a better ending. but, the way it ended was to set up for a second season. wonder how long till that will drop?

overall i really, really liked it.  solid B+

I met the sensei at a film festival party in Queens.  CSB.

Ha. I saw him at a film fest at MSG. Cool dude. Totally embraces the whole thing; laughed when we yelled out “sweep the leg” as I’m pretty sure we were the first to make that joke with him.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Hide contents

I loved the scene with Johnny and Daniel bonding over Speedwagon. And I thought the part in the bar would end with an Elizabeth Shue cameo via facetime or something.

I was praying for that cameo too! 

4 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

just watched all 10 episodes on a flight. it was really good. lots of fun, the right amount of cheese and nostalgia, but also really good. 

I enjoyed it a lot, the daniel parts were the parts that were overly cheese but that might be because macchio is a pretty bad actor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

just watched all 10 episodes on a flight. it was really good. lots of fun, the right amount of cheese and nostalgia, but also really good. 

Had time to kill so I ended up watching it anyway. It’s reminicent of a 1990’s-esq WB network teenage drama production written by adults to be a composite of what they think today’s teens are like. Zabka is the only good actor. (The daughter is not bad either) I like that it doesn’t take itself seriously, but it ventured too far the other way and ended up in corny territory. Seriously, Johnny doesn’t know about social media because he’s SOOOOOO 80’s man? 

Did the “actor” that played Daniel’s son win some sort of contest to be cast? He’d come in 2nd in a bulldog lookalike pageant. 

I finished it a couple of nights ago.  It was awesome.  The fighting scenes in the tournament sucked tho.  That tournament really went downhill.  The dudes in the original were bad-ass; now we have HAWK making the semis?  Ha.

You can leave your asthma and peanut allergies and all that other made-up bullshit outside. Is that understood?

Watching Johnny Lawrence deal with 2018 is good stuff.

It was a great series and I'm bummed that I have to wait for Season 2.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, Viper said:

does it come with a free google play music subscription, or is it only a google play music subscription that comes with free youtube red?

Will it eventually be free on Youtube? Because I really AM cheap, and don't want to pay for another subscription.

Oh, and Ralph Macchio was a dick in the first 2 episodes.

Chopping prices?    [/eye roll]

Edited by Superhero

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Will it eventually be free on Youtube? Because I really AM cheap, and don't want to pay for another subscription.

Oh, and Ralph Macchio was a dick in the first 2 episodes.

Chopping prices?    [/eye roll]

Go back and watch the original films. You'll be surprised how much Daniel-san is a whiny little butt hole. 

This show is officially the favorite show in my household, and my kids have no nostalgia for the movie. Its really well done. I can understand why Youtube wants to make it their tentpole but they have absolutely nothing else to entice me to pay good money to subscribe. 

I was hooked. I don't mind Miguel going full heel but it really messed up with him accidentally hitting Sam. Don't think you can come back from that fully and I can't buy a reconciliation between the two after that altercation.  Kind of preferred the romeo and Juliet complications they were going to run into.

• 2 weeks later...