Cobra Kai

Red Five

Binge watched the entire season 1 yesterday. The best parts of the show are the unexpected cursing and put downs from both Johnny and Daniel. With so many teens on the show, I thought it would be more teen friendly, but the show is clearly aimed at adults and that is fine by me.

Spoiler

I thought the transformation of Miguel from nerdy guy to asshole was a too quick. But Sam is a flirt and I understand why he'd be pissed.  I thought the final fight was perfect, because I really didn't know who to root for.

And yes, Daniel's wife is a MILF. I didn't pay close attention to Johnny's wife, but she won't go down unless you buy her dessert.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This show sucks and only Johnny’s disdain for nerdy shit makes it passable. Man if every nerd can just get a Mohawk have a few practices and “roll their way” to the semis of a karate tournament. Ralph Maccio is so cheesy I can’t take it anymore. 

Yeah, well you know something? You suck. Nerd.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I liked the show, but one thing I thought was out of place is how much time these kids seem to spend in their dojos, how much time has passed overall, and how much Karate they know as the series progresses, yet they're all......still white belts at the end???

It's been a couple of decades since I was in Karate as a kid, but I remember feeling like it only took about 5 minutes and showing you know a small handful of moves before they threw a yellow belt at you.

The show is kind of corny overall, but also feels intentionally that way.  Overall a nice nostalgia trip.

54 minutes ago, Tom said:

It's been a couple of decades since I was in Karate as a kid, but I remember feeling like it only took about 5 minutes and showing you know a small handful of moves before they threw a yellow belt at you.

No shit. My daughter who's been doing TKD for a full 3 years is a brown belt with a black stripe. Next up is red belt and then black.

I can take her down in 2 seconds without even knowing kung fu.

Show is still funny though.

You're all weak. And I know that because I was you. I used to have no friends, I used to be the weird kid. Well, maybe not that weird, I still hooked up with babes 'n all but the point is - I wasn't always the badass Sensei that I am today. Just like a cobra, 

On 8/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, Superhero said:

And yes, Daniel's wife is a MILF. I didn't pay close attention to Johnny's wife, but she won't go down unless you buy her dessert.

Johnny's wife is none other than Diora Baird - starlet of my favorite scene in Wedding Crashers.

diora-baird-wedding-crashers-1031156335.

NSFW pic in the spoiler

Spoiler

6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

No shit. My daughter who's been doing TKD for a full 3 years is a brown belt with a black stripe. Next up is red belt and then black.

I can take her down in 2 seconds without even knowing kung fu.

Show is still funny though.

That’s a low bar for a friggin’ superhero.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This show sucks and only Johnny’s disdain for nerdy shit makes it passable. Man if every nerd can just get a Mohawk have a few practices and “roll their way” to the semis of a karate tournament. Ralph Maccio is so cheesy I can’t take it anymore. 

The main point of the Mohawk kid storyline was how self-confidence can change the way you view yourself and how others view you. Pretty damn good message that’s missing from a lot of media today imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

Halfway through Season One.  I do think the basic idea of the show is really simply clever, but it's so perfectly terribly executed it is goddamn fantastic.
Yeah, the "I don't give a shit" line on the window washing made it all worthwhile.

This is exactly it. Exactly.

Season 2 wasn't as good. Best part is the very end when he throws his phone and a certain person responds which gives me hope for season 3.

I like how in season one Daniel takes robby to the woods and leaves him by himself and verbally tells him how to do this lesson of "balance" and of course robby KILLS it in one try and just like that he's a karate expert. I've never seen so many kids learn karate in 3 lessons and become experts. I like drunk, pissed off johnny calling kids pussies and the fat kid with the tits popping out. I hope he stays that way.

I also feel we are gonna end up getting a Robby switches to Cobra Kai and Miguel becomes a raging vagina for Miyagi-do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished Season 1.  Enjoyed it enough, but not sure I feel the need to continue on.  The old trope of "walking into a room at the wrong time, causing everyone to get mad" wears me out and that was a big go to move.

It seems like Cajun really enjoyed Season 2, but any other opinions?  I may wait to see how 3 is before committing to 2.

21 hours ago, Stringer said:

Just finished Season 1.  Enjoyed it enough, but not sure I feel the need to continue on.  The old trope of "walking into a room at the wrong time, causing everyone to get mad" wears me out and that was a big go to move.

It seems like Cajun really enjoyed Season 2, but any other opinions?  I may wait to see how 3 is before committing to 2.

What?  I was pretty fuckin' clear that Season 2 blows goddamn donkey cock.

This is why we can't have nice things!

I have a couple of episodes left in S2. I generally agree that it's not very good, there is way too much shit going on. 

I don't know if Robbie dies somehow by the end of S2 but I root for it every episode. If he is still not written off by the end of Season 2 maybe they can start S3 with a graphic telling us that he joined the Peace Corps and moved to Tanzania or some shit. Get him the fuck out of here. Robbie is the worst. 

Just finished season 2, enjoyed it but season 1 was better. The ending was pretty dumb. Agree that Johnny is the best character. 

Spoiler

In my high school a brawl broke out between rival gang members during lunch once, probably 9 or 10 kids total involved. It was wild. Those kids all got arrested, criminally charged, and I'm not sure that any of them ever saw the inside of that school again. I can't fucking imagine what would happen in real life if a fight like in the last episode broke out at a school. But it was satisfying to see Hawk kicked into the trophy case. 

On 9/1/2020 at 5:57 PM, Tom said:

I liked the show, but one thing I thought was out of place is how much time these kids seem to spend in their dojos, how much time has passed overall, and how much Karate they know as the series progresses, yet they're all......still white belts at the end???

At least with the Cobra Kai kids, Johnnie took away all their belts and made them white belts again, for whatever reason I forget.

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

Daniel sucks too. Never thought I’d see Zabka almost single handily carry a series but here we are.

I looked up his acting career and it’s bad, but he’s actually half way decent in this, good enough to make you tolerate Ralphie.

S2 is really not good, loses it’s intentional B rated style for an attempt to be something only to fail hard core. Nostalgia like someone said above is what keeps it going.

Glad I watched the whole thing, first season definitely superior.

Can barely tolerate anyone in the LaRusso household. Smarmy dad, glaring high-strung mom, fat slow daughter, and why the hell hasn't the son been tossed into a pool with all his devices, THAT's the dude who needs some bullying in this bully genre.

Not particularly interested in seeing Ali come back, she'd be more of the LaRusso-style blah. If Johnnie can't get it going with Carmen, I wish he'd go for slump-buster action with pot-smoking pregnancy-joke-making understanding-the-violence-of-men Yaya. Then there could be a scene where she cuts a new girlfriend and torches his car herself.

• Hook 'Em 1