Cobra Kai

Red Five

On 9/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, Helobious said:

The main point of the Mohawk kid storyline was how self-confidence can change the way you view yourself and how others view you. Pretty damn good message that’s missing from a lot of media today imo.

not into season 2 yet, are you?

11 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

and why the hell hasn't the son been tossed into a pool with all his devices, THAT's the dude who needs some bullying in this bully genre.

Was he in one single second of Season 2? Dude got the same treatment as the son in The Americans.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Was he in one single second of Season 2? Dude got the same treatment as the son in The Americans.

Dunno. I guess I'll look it up on IMDB later.

OK, it says he made it to 3 of the season 2 episodes.. I was kinda numb to his presence by then.

Edited by RDCanecutter
went and got my learn on.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Dunno. I guess I'll look it up on IMDB later.

OK, it says he made it to 3 of the season 2 episodes.. I was kinda numb to his presence by then.

Daniel asked him to join his dojo and he was like naw I'm good.  Then I'm pretty sure I saw him eating breakfast or food at some point. 

On 9/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Glad I watched the whole thing, first season definitely superior.

Can barely tolerate anyone in the LaRusso household. Smarmy dad, glaring high-strung mom, fat slow daughter, and why the hell hasn't the son been tossed into a pool with all his devices, THAT's the dude who needs some bullying in this bully genre.

Not particularly interested in seeing Ali come back, she'd be more of the LaRusso-style blah. If Johnnie can't get it going with Carmen, I wish he'd go for slump-buster action with pot-smoking pregnancy-joke-making understanding-the-violence-of-men Yaya. Then there could be a scene where she cuts a new girlfriend and torches his car herself.

The mom is pretty hot though.  I agree that it's hard to suspend belief with respect to the chubby daughter being able to do anything athletically.  

Overall, this show is some good, dumb fun.  Looking forward to season three.

• Fuck You 1

Can barely tolerate anyone in the LaRusso household. Smarmy dad, glaring high-strung mom, fat slow daughter, and why the hell hasn't the son been tossed into a pool with all his devices, THAT's the dude who needs some bullying in this bully genre.

Not particularly interested in seeing Ali come back, she'd be more of the LaRusso-style blah. If Johnnie can't get it going with Carmen, I wish he'd go for slump-buster action with pot-smoking pregnancy-joke-making understanding-the-violence-of-men Yaya. Then there could be a scene where she cuts a new girlfriend and torches his car herself.

You think the daughter is FAT?

giphy.gif

"And change that ring tone. Get some Guns N' Roses or something."
"[What's Guns N' Roses?"
"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that."

“I like muscle cars, martial arts, and Iron Eagle ... and Iron Eagle II.”

The whole family loved the series. Just the right amount of nostalgia and cheese. Yeah the karate stuff is super dorky, but I'm just glad we can watch without a character going on a soliloquy about "cultural appropriation," and nice to have some anti-snowflake tv. I'm optimistic Shue shows up for season three. Hopefully they got a greenlight before the callout. I hope next season is more Johnny and less Robbie - that kid sucks. 

Not to get to serious, but I enjoyed seeing Johnny's perspective on high school Daniel and pulling the curtain back on his teen years: good lesson in Daniel's Karate Kid POV and Johnny's Cobra Kai POV ... and the seen with Johnny's crew was fantastic - if that didn't make you dusty and you don't like the series, you need a heart. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:
"And change that ring tone. Get some Guns N' Roses or something."
"[What's Guns N' Roses?"
"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that."

“I like muscle cars, martial arts, and Iron Eagle ... and Iron Eagle II.”

The whole family loved the series. Just the right amount of nostalgia and cheese. Yeah the karate stuff is super dorky, but I'm just glad we can watch without a character going on a soliloquy about "cultural appropriation," and nice to have some anti-snowflake tv. I'm optimistic Shue shows up for season three. Hopefully they got a greenlight before the callout. I hope next season is more Johnny and less Robbie - that kid sucks. 

Not to get to serious, but I enjoyed seeing Johnny's perspective on high school Daniel and pulling the curtain back on his teen years: good lesson in Daniel's Karate Kid POV and Johnny's Cobra Kai POV ... and the seen with Johnny's crew was fantastic - if that didn't make you dusty and you don't like the series, you need a heart. :)

I didn't realize that Johnny's buddy was really sick in real life and died shortly after that late last year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Have to give props to shows producers, whoever, for not just going all in on the cheese, but taking it to 11. I swear when I started this show there was no way I was going to make it past one or two eps, almost finished. The dorkiness of it all, the bad acting, the predictable storyline, its so good.

I could "tolerate" the mom in certain situations.

If ya know what I mean.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, Wade said:

They got me in the last episode of season 1 when I groaned,  sure that Daniel was going to pull that mysterious Myagi healing thing on Robbie.  He put his hands together just like Myagi, then called for a medic.  Terrific

Got a legit LOL from me on that scene.  

On 9/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, Not a cat said:

Speaking of the finale of season 1...

I've never done karate but basic physics tells me that a double kick from a one armed handstand would have no power. It's like the writers said hey we need a new unattainable, never been done crane kick for this generation.

And then they never mentioned it again. Maybe they realized how stupid it was.

Finished Season 2, was generally satisfied, the last episode was so stupid, and silly, and over the top, but it was also kinda badass. They're teenagers, they're not gonna be martial arts experts, but damn they had these kids throwing each other around like it was bloodsport. Overall, season 2 definitely felt weird, I looked up if they changed writers but apparently not. There was too many moments where it felt like a Netflix sitcom reboot, like Fuller House. After school special life lessons until they finally sprinkle in some Johnny humor or 80s nostalgia (the good shit).

On 9/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, Not a cat said:

Speaking of the finale of season 1...

I've never done karate but basic physics tells me that a double kick from a one armed handstand would have no power. It's like the writers said hey we need a new unattainable, never been done crane kick for this generation.

Power doesn't matter. 

If do right. No can defend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, BurdineBandit said:

And then they never mentioned it again. Maybe they realized how stupid it was.

Finished Season 2, was generally satisfied, the last episode was so stupid, and silly, and over the top, but it was also kinda badass. They're teenagers, they're not gonna be martial arts experts, but damn they had these kids throwing each other around like it was bloodsport. Overall, season 2 definitely felt weird, I looked up if they changed writers but apparently not. There was too many moments where it felt like a Netflix sitcom reboot, like Fuller House. After school special life lessons until they finally sprinkle in some Johnny humor or 80s nostalgia (the good shit).

it was enjoyable, but because it's designed for Gen X, they have to fucking hit you over the head with the fan service member berries nostalgia stuff. which is fine, that's what we like

the writers--- they can write men, they can write women, they write teenaged girls like they haven't met one in their entire lives. that or they've just fallen into the modern writing pit of "what if girls were exactly like boys in every single way, except they're girls????"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gone through about 1.5 seasons in the last week or two. Generally enjoying the portrayals of 40 year old Lawrence and larussa. The character building of Johnny in particular.

and i actually thought John kreese was the name of the actor, not the character, that’s how much he is “that guy” for me. So I had to unlearn that. 

Wife and I finished season 2 last night. I'll echo what others have said, it's written for gen x. As long as the focus remains on Johnny's character we will keep watching. Thought the jokes were even better in season 2 but so was the cheese factor. All of the fight scenes were so bad they were good. Every character arc but Johnny's and  Miguel's are terrible or terribly written but my wife and I dont really care. We like the show for what it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I'd love to see Johnny in a Die Hard situation where he saves the town from terrorists with karate and his bitching trans am.

With an interlude where he is in the mountains of Laos learning an ancient hang-glider fighting technique so he can come back and knock out all-seeing Amazon drones.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, Moby Ric said:

Just started this show yesterday and got through 2 episodes.  Liking it so far.  Told the wife that it looks like Barney Stinson was right about who the real Karate Kid was in the movie.

Just started season 1, and I thought the same thing. Would be funny if they could somehow do a Doogie Howser reference in season 3. 

On 9/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Season 1 is amazing and season 2 is amazing. 

That is fact.  

I was born in 77. 

I love this show. 

This although I was born in 75. 

Wife and I finished last week and both loved it. Perfect amount of cheese. Just solid entertainment. 

Side note- We watched the original with our twin 10 year old boys over the weekend and they loved it. Seeing them realize that Daniel had been training the whole time and not just being Miyagi's slave was awesome. And they both had huge grins on their faces at the end when Daniel takes the title.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoffaJimmy said:

This although I was born in 75. 

Wife and I finished last week and both loved it. Perfect amount of cheese. Just solid entertainment. 

Side note- We watched the original with our twin 10 year old boys over the weekend and they loved it. Seeing them realize that Daniel had been training the whole time and not just being Miyagi's slave was awesome. And they both had huge grins on their faces at the end when Daniel takes the title.  

Smiled reading this. My dad made it a point to show me the movie when I was a kid (I’m a millennial snowflake) and I had the exact same reaction watching that scene.