Former UT President, Bill Powers, passed away.

Guest Lobo

There was a longer letter about Pres. Powers from Fenves here:  president.utexas.edu 

It's not up for some reason, but check it out later today or tomorrow and read the full note.  It's very moving.  

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Damn... Always appreciated the fact that he told Perry where to stick it. Hook'em

His stand against Perry was admirable at the time. Despite all of the political pressure coming down he stood up to the governor and defended the University. It also showed the rest of the world who the 500 pound gorilla is and no one fucks with Texas.

• Like 2

RIP,   Bill 

Steven Goode, a law professor at UT, said, “In a university that is filled with extremely smart people, Bill may have been the smartest person I knew. But he had the gift of being able to talk to anyone, without coming off as a show-off intellectual. He could be extraordinarily down to earth and extremely funny.”

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190310/bill-powers-uts-president-for-nearly-decade-dies-at-72

AR-190319962.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torre said:

Steven Goode, a law professor at UT, said, “In a university that is filled with extremely smart people, Bill may have been the smartest person I knew. But he had the gift of being able to talk to anyone, without coming off as a show-off intellectual. He could be extraordinarily down to earth and extremely funny.”

This is the Professor Powers I remember. Wicked smart, but was so approachable and funny during his office hours.

I also had Steven Goode, who like Powers was a great teacher. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have gone to a law school with the caliber of professors like the University of Texas.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, F250 said:

His stand against Perry was admirable at the time. Despite all of the political pressure coming down he stood up to the governor and defended the University. It also showed the rest of the world who the 500 pound gorilla is and no one fucks with Texas.

Much less a gottdam aggy. Big huevos on President Powers. 

Met him 7 or 8 years ago.  My father in law is a professor and was being honored along with another 2 professors for some sort of big honor each had earned.  It was essentially a drinks reception in his office and out on the deck which sits on top of the base of the tower.  It was attended by a bunch of university bigwigs and local politicians.  he office was incredibly cool and the view from up there is amazing.  They lit the tower orange for them and we got pics of us with the tower directly over head.  He was so personable and took the time to introduce himself.   He took my daughter, who was no more than 6 months old, and held her for a bit.  He was so engaging and warm during the brief interaction and really mad us feel welcome.  One of my coolest Longhorn memories. He'll be missed.

I have no idea if they ever  allow tours of the office, but I would recommend it to every Longhorn if given the chance.  I can't imagine too many universities have a cooler president's office than ours.

• Like 2

Had dinner with him, Joe Jamail, and Mack and Sally Brown when I was a senior at Texas.

When I asked him if he thought we would beat OU this weekend (it was OU week), he said “by how much?” I repeated my question. He said “ i know what you said, and we’re definitely gonna beat em, but by how much?”

RIP

• 1 month later...

That was so neat to see leaving the baseball game last night.  

Will start another thread about the planes flying overhead throughout the tribute on the South mall Friday afternoon