The Case Against Adnan Syed - HBO

Seasick Sailor

Yeah he's released to home detention until they decide. The state won't retry him though. They dismantled their own case in the motion, notably Jay's tall tales and the cell phone evidence. Since that was basically their whole case, there's nothing left tying Adnan to the crime.

It would be great if a new arrest is made but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:43 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Holy shit. Didn't see this coming:

Adnan Syed Murder Conviction Should Be Vacated, Prosecutors Say

The State's Attorney filed a motion to vacate his conviction.

Brady violations covered up for 20 years, despite multiple appeals and national attention on the conviction. Likely no consequences for the prosecutors or cops originally involved.

That’s so fucked up. You know this kind of shit happens more often in non-famous cases and people just sit in jail forever 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Crazy that 1/3 of his sentence occurred AFTER the Serial podcast was released.

From what I can tell, the police and DA did such a poor job that we will most likely never know who killed Hae Lee. If it was Syed, then at least society got 23 years out of him. If it wasn't him, 

SIAP, but today's Serial episode on this mentioned that this all stemmed from a new MD law that those who have served 20+ years and were sentenced as a juvenile can petition to have their sentence reduced. When the authorities started reviewing Syed under that law, they discovered too much evidence that had never been turned over to the defense.

• Like 1

I lived in Baltimore for 8 years. This is all bullshit. The only reason Syed was cut loose was because Mosby's trial starts soon and she wants good PR. The Brady evidence was not exculpatory and Brian Frosh has already made a statement that that material was disclosed to the defense on multiple occasions. 

I have no comment on Syed's innocence or guilt and haven't followed it closely, but this is all typical Smalltimore horseshit to help Mosby beat her own legal issues. 

What a fucking dump. Fuck Baltimore.

• Fuck You 1

My understanding of Baltimore is that if anything shady was going on it is never in favor of a defendant- especially in light of the facts in this case where the Brady information wasn’t included in discovery disclosures. That’s a pretty black and white fact to dispute- here the State Attorneys office is the one disclosing the fuck up in the first place, as opposed to accusations from Defense. Brian Frosh can make any statements he wants to the press but he hasn’t said the same thing under oath or provided a declaration to the court (where there are consequences for lying). And if you haven’t figured out that prosecutors lie then you live in a pretty naive world. 

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

I lived in Baltimore for 8 years. This is all bullshit. The only reason Syed was cut loose was because Mosby's trial starts soon and she wants good PR. The Brady evidence was not exculpatory and Brian Frosh has already made a statement that that material was disclosed to the defense on multiple occasions. 

I have no comment on Syed's innocence or guilt and haven't followed it closely, but this is all typical Smalltimore horseshit to help Mosby beat her own legal issues. 

What a fucking dump. Fuck Baltimore.

The state DA is denying that his office screwed up or broke the law?

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

My understanding of Baltimore is that if anything shady was going on it is never in favor of a defendant- especially in light of the facts in this case where the Brady information wasn’t included in discovery disclosures. That’s a pretty black and white fact to dispute- here the State Attorneys office is the one disclosing the fuck up in the first place, as opposed to accusations from Defense. Brian Frosh can make any statements he wants to the press but he hasn’t said the same thing under oath or provided a declaration to the court (where there are consequences for lying). And if you haven’t figured out that prosecutors lie then you live in a pretty naive world. 

That's usually correct, except where Marilyn Mosby needs cover. Then it's time to make a big statement about how unreliable the prosecution is. 

Frosh hasn't had the opportunity to say anything under oath that I know of. Maybe he is lying (though I can't think of a good reason for him to do that given his current position as AG). 

I just read the Motion to Vacate. If that evidence was suppressed, I agree it's problematic. Did anybody from Syed's legal team testify that they had not seen it? 

Anyway, like I said, I have no idea whether Syed did this or not. I just know that it is not possible to trust the motives of any law enforcement entity in Baltimore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The state DA is denying that his office screwed up or broke the law?

Yeah, so weird. If their office really screwed up and are facing an eight figure lawsuit, surely they'd nonetheless release an honest, transparent statement saying, "Yeah, our bad. Sorry about that."

No way Frosh is protecting his own ass and his buddies, right?

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Since DA's are elected, I'm not sure the DA who was in office when the murder and trial happened is the same one that's in office now.

He's been in office since 2015, so he's overseen the state opposition to Syed's appeals since 2016, which included Thiru's unprecedented "pro-bono state attorney" chicanery. And it's safe to say he was in communication with Urick (original prosecutor) while his office fought the appeals.

He went above and beyond to deny Syed a new trial, so it's a very bad look for him if it turns out Brady material was sitting in a file in his office for 6+ years.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Yeah, so weird. If their office really screwed up and are facing an eight figure lawsuit, surely they'd nonetheless release an honest, transparent statement saying, "Yeah, our bad. Sorry about that."

No way Frosh is protecting his own ass and his buddies, right?

Frosh would never do that

• 3 weeks later...

Vindication for those of us who knew the state's narrative for how Hae's murder happened was completely wrong.

The idea that a 17 year old kid murdered his girlfriend in a Best Buy parking lot in the middle of the day, called up a friendly acquaintance to help, then drove around with a body in the trunk visting friends and smoking weed like they were in a Tarantino movie, has always been completely fucking ludicrous. 

Now I suppose all that's left is to wait and see if the DNA testing yielded anything usable. I'll be shocked if an arrest is made, but it would be great to see actual justice for Hae.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Craziest shit ever. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/28/us/adnan-syed-conviction-reinstated-maryland/index.html

CNN — 

A Maryland appellate court has reinstated the conviction of Adnan Syed, the man who spent over two decades behind bars for the 1999 killing of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee and whose murder case was featured in the landmark podcast “Serial.”

The appellate court said the lower court had violated the rights of the victim’s brother, Young Lee, to attend a key hearing.

“Because the circuit court violated Mr. Lee’s right to notice of, and his right to attend, the hearing on the State’s motion to vacate… this Court has the power and obligation to remedy those violations, as long we can do so without violating Mr. Syed’s right to be free from double jeopardy,” the court’s opinion said.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

A new hearing on the motion to vacate the conviction where the victim’s family gets notice and a chance to testify. The conviction will still be vacated and Syed doesn’t need to go back to jail in the interim 

Yeah, this seems like weird procedural shit.  Not sure why her family wanted to do this.  But I am not a lawyer.

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

A new hearing on the motion to vacate the conviction where the victim’s family gets notice and a chance to testify. The conviction will still be vacated and Syed doesn’t need to go back to jail in the interim 

Yeah seems pretty damned petty by the Lee Family.

If I read the article correctly, Mr. Lee watched the hearing on Zoom. 

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, this seems like weird procedural shit.  Not sure why her family wanted to do this.  But I am not a lawyer.

Also from a practical perspective wasn’t the hearing national news? Maybe some procedural official notice didn’t get mailed but let’s not pretend they were prevented from participating the first time around if they wanted to 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Craziest shit ever. 
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/28/us/adnan-syed-conviction-reinstated-maryland/index.html
CNN — 

A Maryland appellate court has reinstated the conviction of Adnan Syed, the man who spent over two decades behind bars for the 1999 killing of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee and whose murder case was featured in the landmark podcast “Serial.”

The appellate court said the lower court had violated the rights of the victim’s brother, Young Lee, to attend a key hearing.

“Because the circuit court violated Mr. Lee’s right to notice of, and his right to attend, the hearing on the State’s motion to vacate… this Court has the power and obligation to remedy those violations, as long we can do so without violating Mr. Syed’s right to be free from double jeopardy,” the court’s opinion said.

Smells like bullshit and a waste of everyone’s time.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also from a practical perspective wasn’t the hearing national news? Maybe some procedural official notice didn’t get mailed but let’s not pretend they were prevented from participating the first time around if they wanted to 

Victim’s families rights are fine but they seem to be interfering with Adnan’s rights. And it seems like another unnecessary burden and expense to our criminal justice system. I’d think the burden would be on the DA or appeals lawyers to organize all that. This is a WTF for me.

What the court system has to certified invites to all family members, even estranged ones? Seems ridiculous.