Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't even know what your point is about all this anymore. The 1st string OL in every report has been Cosmi-Imade/Angilau-Shack-Kerstetter-Okafor.  We lost three starters and we're like three weeks into spring practice. Of course they're lacking cohesion right now. It has nothing to do with Hand's supposed philosophy of moving guys around, which isn't even happening right now.

Excuse me, sir. I reserve to make snap judgements and all around freak the fuck out if I want to based off a handful of practices and notes on thereof made by people who saw only 15 minutes or so of practice. I'm not in this instance, or don't believe I'm not acknowledging a valid concern (especially when 1 starter isn't even on campus, though. 

I say good day. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I’m willing to give Jeff Howe credit.

For what? He's a good dude and does a decent job of translating his thoughts on paper. He's clueless about recruiting and does a poor job of sharing inside info. To be fair, he is an easier listen vs.:

• EJ(I hate UT, life owes me)
  • Nahlin(weird cough every 3 seconds)
  • Baizer(Jump to conclusions(I do love you Will, best producer in the biz))
  • Wells(can't make a statement without some ridiculous hyperbole)
  • Anyone on OB-Rivals

Two podcast someone recently shared with me that I did not know existed and are worth a listen for a fanatic: 

• Burnt Orange Nation
  • Fire Tom Herman

Mike Roach & Joe Cook are the best listens on podcast. Roach's podcast is unfortunately unlistenable because of EJ. The IT guys have the right format for a podcast but the wrongs guys delivering it. They need a different lead and to have Joe Cook on every show, have Wells sit it out and have Nahlin write in his recruiting updates so that another member who can speak clearly with some emotion that displays signs of life can share them.

Anwar Richardson did have great material during the season with his Friday barbershop visits.

Baizer's pretend we're football podcast is very good for basketball once they are done with the "getting to know you" bit. Likely does not get the audience it deserves since our basketball program is unwatchable. 

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

For what? He's a good dude and does a decent job of translating his thoughts on paper. He's clueless about recruiting and does a poor job of sharing inside info. To be fair, he is an easier listen vs.:

• EJ(I hate UT, life owes me)
  • Nahlin(weird cough every 3 seconds)
  • Baizer(Jump to conclusions(I do love you Will, best producer in the biz))
  • Wells(can't make a statement without some ridiculous hyperbole)
  • Anyone on OB-Rivals

Two podcast someone recently shared with me that I did not know existed and are worth a listen for a fanatic: 

• Burnt Orange Nation
  • Fire Tom Herman

Mike Roach & Joe Cook are the best listens on podcast. Roach's podcast is unfortunately unlistenable because of EJ. The IT guys have the right format for a podcast but the wrongs guys delivering it. They need a different lead and to have Joe Cook on every show, have Wells sit it out and have Nahlin write in his recruiting updates so that another member who can speak clearly with so emotion that displays signs of life can share them.

Anwar Richardson did have great material during the season with his Friday barbershop visits.

Baizer's pretend we're football podcast is very good for basketball once they are done with the "getting to know you" bit. Likely does not get the audience it deserves since our basketball program is unwatchable. 

They seriously need to give Nahlin a cough button or something. I cant listen to that podcast because of his weird burp/cough/exhale every minute.

Just now, BayouBill said:

They seriously need to give Nahlin a cough button or something. I cant listen to that podcast because of his weird burp/cough/exhale every minute.

It's a fucking beating. I guess his personality is the "too cool for school" type, he has no emotion or passion in his delivery. I'd rather have my phone read an article to me in that stupid Siri voice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Overall, I feel better about this roster than I have at any time since 2009.  However, when you factor in that anything short of wild praise about a particular position from a $9.95er practice report really means we have an issue, there seem to be a few problem areas. 

Plus, a scrimmage in which our green backup QBs are taking all the snaps on offense, and we have walkons playing with the 1s and 2s at DB and LB on defense, probably doesn't tell us a whole lot, anyway.

We must consider that most of today's 9.95 do not remember what a healthy program looks like. The 3 classes Coach Herman has brought in and their development are on full display, the floor of the program has been greatly raised.

The last 10 years, our teams had glaring weaknesses that made those units look like they did not belong. Sometimes we would have a matching unit on the other side of the ball and this made us not realize how weak they actually were. Now are 2's and 3's are much better and it shows. We might not be back to the top tier but we are not far and in a much better place than we have been in 10 years.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Do you mean Jonny Brashear insteaad of Baizer? 

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

We must consider that most of today's 9.95 do not remember what a healthy program looks like. The 3 classes Coach Herman has brought in and their development are on full display, the floor of the program has been greatly raised.

The last 10 years, our teams had glaring weaknesses that made those units look like they did not belong. Sometimes we would have a matching unit on the other side of the ball and this made us not realize how weak they actually were. Now are 2's and 3's are much better and it shows. We might not be back to the top tier but we are not far and in a much better place than we have been in 10 years.

Yep. Great recruiting (including JUCOs and GTs for need), development of players, and three years of recruiting to a consistent scheme have transformed the roster. We have actual depth at almost every position. There were times in the last ten years where we couldbarely find 5 guys to play OL. Now, we may not start someone who’s been in the program less than three years and we have at least 8 OL capable of being at least replacement level. 

We don’t have a good #2 QB and our RB and LB depth is very suspect, but these problems are minuscule compared to the issues were used to hearing about the last ten years.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

For a very long time I was jealous of the LSU football program's development as athletes. I would read and have LSU friends tell me stories of Tommy Moffitt and why the floor will always be at its peak while he was there. Yancy ended that, he is on the 1st Tier of his profession and just getting started. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

What he said.

On 3/30/2019 at 5:52 PM, victory88 said:

I'm hoping Herman gets this offense clicking and scoring 40 points a game.  No excuse why a team like ou has always had high powered offenses while we hope we can get more than 1 first down the last 8 years.  I remember defenses used to shit their pants playing against us from 04-09.  We've got skill players, we've got a QB that can run and throw, and we're finally getting depth and actual development on the OL.  It's time for Herman to let this offense loose.

Yeah, I gotta agree with this. I've always been jealous that OU has always been a more vertical high-powered offense than UT. Even in the late 2000's when Colt McCoy was under center.

Greg Davis had 40ppg offenses... Everyone hated him.

Let's stick with 27ppg.

When not enjoying a sizable talent advantage, Greg Davis had 20ppg offenses.

Between 1979-2004, Texas was never shut out. Until Greg Davis got schooled by Stoops. UT had two guys named Vince Young and Cedric Benson on that team. Remember how bad Texas was at offense in the 80’s. They never got shut out.

Iowa sucked at offense under Greg Davis because his teams were not loaded.

Texas sucked at offense in 2010. They were exposed and talent-deprived. Davis relied on Colt McCoy’s pinpoint accuracy and off-schedule plays.

Vince Young was the last offensive Texas player drafted in the first round in 2006.

In Greg Davis’ offense, slants, crossing routes, pumpfakes, back-shoulder throws were constraint plays. Too risky. He’d bust them out in the 2nd half and it’d be like “holy fuck. what a genius!”

F Greg Davis. Where’s our banner?
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nope said:

When they mentioned throat swelling I thought mono, which would suck 

According to my UT professors, I had mono in each class, several different semesters during my extended undergraduate career and I had the doctor's note(s) to prove it.

According to my physicals and prescriptions written/filled, I've never had mono.

• Like 1

Greg Davis had 40ppg offenses... Everyone hated him.

Let's stick with 27ppg.

You see 40ppg average over a decade is due to luck and talent advantage and mercury being in retrograde. GD needed to recruit from the stands, light up the good defenses and score less on the bad defenses.
  • Like 1

When not enjoying a sizable talent advantage, Greg Davis had 20ppg offenses.

Between 1979-2004, Texas was never shut out. Until Greg Davis got schooled by Stoops. UT had two guys named Vince Young and Cedric Benson on that team. Remember how bad Texas was at offense in the 80’s. They never got shut out.

Iowa sucked at offense under Greg Davis because his teams were not loaded.

Texas sucked at offense in 2010. They were exposed and talent-deprived. Davis relied on Colt McCoy’s pinpoint accuracy and off-schedule plays.

Vince Young was the last offensive Texas player drafted in the first round in 2006.

In Greg Davis’ offense, slants, crossing routes, pumpfakes, back-shoulder throws were constraint plays. Too risky. He’d bust them out in the 2nd half and it’d be like “holy fuck. what a genius!”

F Greg Davis. Where’s our banner?
In summary, Teams with good players on offense, particularly QBs and RBs, score points. Teams without good players do not.

We are trending upward.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you can't block it, you can't run it.

Let's get an OL rotation where any one of 7 guys can enter the game without Surly cursing before we start tallying up points. A couple of TEs surviving into the season wouldn't suck either.

This will be the first season (I hope) where the development of the OL can be more than a "hey, it could happen!" hope.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

What is our O-line lineup going to be when we get the GT grad transfer?

Based on how things look now, Cosmi-Braun-Shack-Kerstetter-Okafor.

That like would likely be significantly better than last year with the exception of pass blocking at RT. Subbing Braun for Vahe probably makes it equal overall in pass pro and it’s a significantly better run blocking OL.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I'd be shocked if Okafor is our starting RT against Louisiana Tech. I'm hoping someone like Reese Moore or Christian Jones can pull a Cosmi 2018 and come out of nowhere and hump the position into submission.  

Christian Jones would need to not have a sprained ankle to really have a good shot at that.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How sprained is it? We don't play for another five months. 

It's not about whether or not he's healthy come the fall. He was raw as hell out of HS (physically and in his technique) and is only going into his second year. He desperately needed the reps this spring if he was going to be ready to play by the start of next season.

It'll be very surprising if Jones or Moore are better options than Kerstetter/Okafor at RT next year.

Edited by Burt Macklin
What Tex said.

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Angilau was our highest rated OL recruit from the 2018 class (and I think higher rated than anyone on campus except Tyler Johnson), and practice reports have him looking good.  Surely, Kerstetter could move out to RT and he could play RG, right? 

I think Okafor would be a significantly better G than Angilau if Kerstetter moves to RT. He's a very good run blocker and would likely be an above average pass blocker at G. Angilau did almost no pass blocking in HS, and he's extremely raw. Same with Moore, who played TE even in his Senior year of HS. Angilau is likely the closest to being ready, but I doubt he'd be better than a 4th year Okafor at G. 

We don't have some glaring need to plug in a RS FR into the starting OL.  We need to start setting our expectation that most OL will take two full years before they're ready to play. I know that hasn't been our experience the last ten years, but that's how healthy programs operate, and the good news is I'd say we're finally at a point where we can call consider our OL room to be healthy, even if it's not quite yet at an elite talent level.

Edited by Burt Macklin