Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

11 minutes ago, d.plainview872 said:

If he stays healthy we will have a 3-headed monster similar to Georgia a couple years ago. + We beat Georgia and have a better passing game. Our offense will be top 5 in the nation next year with Sam slinging it to Collin and the rest of the WR group. We are bringing back elite talent at S and CB. Our DL has some monsters. LB is a little iffy. But this looks like a Big 12 Champion/BCS Playoff Champion team!

Brakes, pump em.

• Like 2

Settle down and think straight You're pushing and you got a bum ticker You ain't saving anyone.

First time I had this much expectations since Vince Youngs sophmore year. First time I've had burnt orange kool-aid in my blood. Do I get a pass one time? We are going to do big things next season! We are making the playoffs and taking the gold hat back from OU sucks. Hook'em!

If he stays healthy we will have a 3-headed monster similar to Georgia a couple years ago. + We beat Georgia and have a better passing game. Our offense will be top 5 in the nation next year with Sam slinging it to Collin and the rest of the WR group. We are bringing back elite talent at S and CB. Our DL has some monsters. LB is a little iffy. But this looks like a Big 12 Champion/BCS Playoff Champion team!

Brakes, pump em.
Do you expect a step backward? We played for the Big 12 Championship and won the sugar bowl... If you expect any improvement as a team, eat the cake, Annie Mae...

34 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Do you expect a step backward? We played for the Big 12 Championship and won the sugar bowl... If you expect any improvement as a team, eat the cake, Annie Mae...

I’m smart enough to realize unexpected things happen and we’re not deep enough at most positions to overcome certain unexpected things.

Could the stars align? Yes, but to predict a top 5 offense, Big 12 Championship, and the National Championship after last year’s overall inconsistent performance is pretty extreme.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I don’t think anyone with sense is predicting a national championship. But we  should win the conference and be in the mix for the playoffs. It’s Herman’s 3rd year and We’re Texas, we still expect to be there. 

Progress isn't linear, though. If you've been paying attention to the roster, it's quite possible we see an even better offense wiped out by a defense breaking in multiple new starters at every level of the defense. 2020 is the year we should return to national relevance for good, with a high floor.

Anything less than a Big 12 CCG appearance this season would be a disappointment, though.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I don’t think anyone with sense is predicting a national championship. But we  should win the conference and be in the mix for the playoffs. It’s Herman’s 3rd year and We’re Texas, we still expect to be there. 

Not sure any of us think that, but for the first time in a long long long fucking time, some of us can actually envision winning every goddamned game we play. Likely? Of course not, but it's damned well POSSIBLE. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

A loss in the Big XII champ game would be a huge disappointment. We absolutely cannot allow ou to win the fucking conference. Again. 

I think Tom knows he must win the conference. 

Lol. Setting expectations regardless of the roster is...one way to go about it I guess.

I'd be satisfied with another 10 win season although I think we match up very well against the teams we will see this year so I'm hoping for 11 wins.  I think we will have a pretty damn good offense this year.  I don't know what to think of the defense.  I actually like the D-line and DB group.  I think Ossai is going to take the next step and Shark can play and has experience.  The absolute biggest glaring hole is who will play nickel and Mac.  Dele is going to get targeted every game.  We have Byron Vaughns who is progressing if Ossai gets hurt but we have no one behind Shark or Dele that has any experience or is ready for such an important position.  One to two key injuries and this defense could be easily picked on.  

I think 2020 is the year we make a title run.  Both the offense and defense should be very well balanced with good depth.  

Edited by victory88

What about playing to the strength of the team for say 10% of the plays:(I wanna see Overshown blowing shit up, and not due to injury to any starter)

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Board/105323/Contents/Chargers-Stop-Ravens-by-deploying-SEVEN-DBs-on-98-of-Snaps-127426780/

Clearly when teams go to overloaded OL packages it would likely not work out well.(Okie State game comes to mind)

Edited by zork

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Progress isn't linear, though. If you've been paying attention to the roster, it's quite possible we see an even better offense wiped out by a defense breaking in multiple new starters at every level of the defense. 2020 is the year we should return to national relevance for good, with a high floor.

Anything less than a Big 12 CCG appearance this season would be a disappointment, though.

I think what most here are saying is we are tired of everything having to be perfect to win the conference as we watch our win with the worse defense ever and playing above expectations. They haven’t won the conference that many times with NFL stars on both sides of the ball, I’m ready to watch Texas win and be in contention a year early because they were coached above expectations and beat teams(Maryland) they are supposed to beat.

i agree about 2020 but for me that’s the year I wanna see us stay in national relevance for awhile like bama and Clemson. 

3 hours ago, zork said:

What about playing to the strength of the team for say 10% of the plays:(I wanna see Overshown blowing shit up, and not due to injury to any starter)

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Board/105323/Contents/Chargers-Stop-Ravens-by-deploying-SEVEN-DBs-on-98-of-Snaps-127426780/

Clearly when teams go to overloaded OL packages it would likely not work out well.(Okie State game comes to mind)

This is pretty much what we already do. Our base defense in most games is likely to be dime, which is 6 DBs.

If Overshown had spun down to Rover, we could essentially do 7, but the fact that neither him or Foster or any other DBs have been taking full reps as an ILB probably won’t allow us to play much 7 DBs.

I also think that while the 7 DB gimmick worked for San Diego for a bit, NE showed it’s prerty flawed and can easily be beaten.

Overall though, I think Orlando already does a pretty damn good job of getting his best 11 on the field.

4 hours ago, zork said:

Patriots killed that Mickey Mouse 7 DB Chargers defense in playoffs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, d.plainview872 said:

Is it happy hour? Cuz that is some strong Koolaid.  I'll take a double.  

Edited by jinx

21 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't know. I'd say the theme for the Spring Game 2019 was "Blown Away".

Lots of songs about wind......

Just recently heard this cool chill song  by Jimi Hendrix:  

Edited by LTtxfan