Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

IT camp notes:

By: Joe Cook

The first day of spring drills was a little chilly and a little overcast, but Texas began its march toward the 2019 season in a helmets only practice.

I was the only one out there from IT, so I tried to get a grasp on the opening day depth chart (that will assuredly change as the spring goes on).

Keondre Coburn, D’Andre Christmas-Giles, and Devin Duvernay weren’t out there for the open session of this morning’s practice. We have a press conference with Tom Herman right after this is getting posted, so I’ll try to get an update then.

Three players had on green “no-touch” jerseys despite the team being in just helmets; Caleb Johnson, De’Gabriel Floyd, and Marqez Bimage.

First offense:
QB: Sam Ehlinger
RB: Keaontay Ingram was first, but in the 11-on-air drill I saw, Daniel Young, Kirk Johnson, and Jordan Whittington all rotated.
XWR: Malcolm Epps (Collin is out)
ZWR: Brennan Eagles (Duvernay was out, Burt still traveling home from NCAA indoor track)
HWR: Josh Moore
TE: Cade Brewer
OL: Sam Cosmi – Tope Imade – Zach Shackelford – Derek Kerstetter – Denzel Okafor

This will all change.

Second offense:
QB: Casey Thompson
RB: Young/K. Johnson/Whittington
XWR: Bru McCoy
ZWR: Al'vonte Woodard
HWR: Jordan Pouncey
TE: Leitao with Wiley rotating some
Reese Moore – Junior Angilau – Rafiti Ghirmai – JP Urquidez – Christian Jones

First defense: 
DL: Malcolm Roach – Gerald Wilbon –Ta'Quon Graham
BLB: Joseph Osssai
Rover: Jeffrey McCulloch
Mac: Ayodele Adeoye
Nickel: Josh Thompson
Field S: Caden Sterns
Boundary S: Chris Brown
Corners: Anthony Cook and Kobe Boyce

Second defense: 
DL: Moro Ojomo-Jamari Chisholm-Marqez Bimage
BLB: Byron Vaughns
Rover: Caleb Johnson
Mac: De'Gabriel Floyd
Nickel: BJ Foster
Field S: Montrell Estell
Boundary S: De'Marvion Overshown
Corners: Jalen Green, Don. Duvernay

When positions go into their individual drills, it’s slightly easier to tell the pecking order. A couple of positions I saw included CB and DL.

CB:
1: Cook and Boyce
2: Don. Duvernay and Green
3: Jamison and Symonds (w-o)

DL:
Graham-Wilbon-Chisholm were the lead trio in DL position drills. Next was Cummins-Ojomo-Roach, then J.Jones-walk-on-Bimage, then Mpagi and Carson as the only two scholarship players in the final grouping.

We have another open session on Friday, where the players will have some additional protective equipment like shoulder pads.

This week is for everyone getting on the same page and acclimating the new players. They aren't going to get too much down with next week being spring break.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Some weird fucking injuries in there.

Some of these ^^^^ activities can be hazardous to your health.....

• a “stress reaction” in his “pubic bone.”
  • second set of kidney problems in 7 months. Said there have been blood tests and biopsies.
Edited by LTtxfan

Bobby Burton: Monday

With spring football beginning today for the Longhorns, Texas officials released the spring football roster yesterday afternoon. Below are the scholarship newcomers, their jersey numbers and their heights and weights. For perspective, I added their listed heights and weights from the recruiting database upon arriving at Texas.

Jersey//Name/Pos./Ht./Wt.

1 - De'Gabriel Floyd, LB, 6-2, 240 (6-1.5, 231) 
2 - Roschon Johnson, QB, 6-2, 215 (6-1, 192) 
5 - Bru McCoy, WR, 6-3, 215 (6-2, 205) 
13 - Marcus Tillman Jr., LB, 6-1, 235 (6-1, 220) 
18 - Jared Wiley, TE, 6-6, 245 (6-6, 225) 
21 - Jordan Whittington, RB-ATH, 6-1, 215 (6-0, 198) 
30 - Caleb Johnson, LB, 6-0, 235 (6-1, 215) 
36 - Jacoby Jones, DL, 6-3, 265 (6-4, 250) 
45 - Peter Mpagi, DL, 6-4, 245 (6-4.5, 224) 
72 - Tyler Johnson, OL, 6-6, 315 (6-5, 308)

Perhaps most interesting to me is the fact that both junior college prospects shrunk from a height perspective by one inch (Johnson from 6-1 to 6-0 and Jones from 6-4 to 6-3). We used to see these types of fluctuations in reported height and weight on high school prospects but the proliferation of camps/combines has slowed that somewhat. But obviously junior college prospects don't have as many (or any), so analysts rely on self-reported heights and weights which tend to be inflated.

With spring football starting today, there are several key battles up for grabs and several key questions.

- Back-up QB

- Second RB (behind Keaontay Ingram)

- Starting TE/HB

- On the OL: RT, RG and LG (or what sort of mix-and-match does Herb Hand attempt?)

- NT (although I think there is going to be more of a rotation this season on the DL now that the Horns have hopefully created more depth)

- MLB

- Both CB spots and NB

- Where does DeMarvion Overhown eventually fit in for this defense?

We should know the answer to several of these questions over the next few weeks.

I've found a new personal favorite recruit for the class of 2020. It's wide receiver Quentin Johnston of Temple. Johnson is listed at 6-4, 180 pounds. Over the weekend, he high jumped 6-foot-10-inches. That's high enough to win the state title in the largest classification most years. And I like recruits who can produce on the football field and in track and field. But Johnston also plays basketball, making him a rare three-sport star.

So, for those who have the time, I've got two sets of highlights for you. First, his football highlights from a year ago. They are impressive.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B2KCQ

But the next set of highlights actually comes from the basketball court where I think you can really see the type of explosiveness he has for such a bigger player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cNwS8Bmr54&app=desktop#menu

The 247Sports Industry Composite currently ranks him the No. 53 receiver in the country. Based on my 25+ years of doing this sort of stuff, I'd say the industry will catch up to him much in the same way they did for future Horn Tyler Owens, whose ran a 10.41-second 100-meter two weekends ago.

• Like 4

(Chip Brown) Spring practice report: First glimpse at first-team offense

AUSTIN, Texas — The first day of the Texas Longhorns' spring football practice provided an interesting initial glimpse of what coaches are thinking in terms of the first-team offense. There were the obvious first-teamers, such as quarterback Sam Ehlinger, running back Keaontay Ingram, left tackle Samuel Cosmi and center Zach Shackelford. But the first-team offensive line on the first day of spring football saw redshirt junior Denzel Okafor at right tackle (with Christian Jones working second-team right tackle), junior Derek Kerstetter at right guard (with J.P. Urquidez working second-team right guard) and junior Tope Imade at left guard (with redshirt freshman Junior Angilau working second-team left guard).

As expected, redshirt freshman Rafiti Ghirmai worked as the backup center behind Shackelford. Redshirt freshman Reese Moore worked as the second-team backup to Cosmi at left tackle with early enrollee freshman Tyler Johnson working third-team left tackle. Kerstetter also worked some at right tackle. At one point, Okafor was serving as a defensive lineman in a drill against Jones, and the size difference between the two was very evident. Okafor is pushing a healthy 320, while Jones is listed at 305. The way offensive line coach Herb Hand was talking to Okafor, it's clear coaches feel like it's time for Okafor to win the right tackle job. "You're the veteran," Hand said to Okafor. The other guy whose size jumped out on Monday was Imade, who is listed at 340 and looks great at 6-foot-5 carrying that weight.

At tight end, Cade Brewer worked with the first team, while Reese Leitaoworked with the second-team and early enrollee freshman Jared Wiley, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 245 pounds, worked with the third-team. With Collin Johnson still recovering from off-season knee surgery, Brennan Eagles lined up as the first-team X receiver with early enrollee freshman Bru McCoy working as the second-team X receiver. Josh Moore lined up as the first-team slot with Jordan Pouncey working behind Moore. At the Z receiver, where Devin Duvernay is the starter and John Burt is the likely backup, coaches on Monday took a look at Alvonte Woodard and Malcolm Epps at Z.

For the limited time the media was allowed to watch practice (six periods), all eyes were on No. 5 on offense — McCoy, who definitely passes the eyeball test and looked crisp running routes and snatching the football with ease. Whittington also looked good catching the football in a running back receiving drill.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/3/11/18259923/texas-longhorns-spring-practice-notes

With practice open to the media for three periods, there was an opportunity for a few takeaways, though the team was limited in the type of work it could get in due to NCAA rules mandating that the first two practices are without pads. The goal for the coaches is basically to use the time as productively as possible without actually being able to real football things.

— The first several periods were spent on special teams work, with senior running back Kirk Johnson, sophomore wide receiver Joshua Moore, and sophomore running back Keaontay Ingram working with one set of returners, likely kickoff return, while freshman running back Jordan Whittington and sophomore cornerback D’Shawn Jamison worked with another group on returns, likely punt returns.

— The starting offensive line for went, from left to right, redshirt sophomore Sam Cosmi, redshirt junior Tope Imade, senior Zach Shackelford, junior Derek Kerstetter, and redshirt junior Denzel Okafor. Freshman Tyler Johnson worked with the second team at center, while redshirt freshman Christian Jones worked at right tackle with the second team. As a group, the linemen looked lean, as none of the players are carrying excessive extra weight. Even Imade, who is listed at 345 pounds. Seeing Jones at right tackle was especially heartening, as the biggest question facing him this spring is whether he can play outside and hold up in pass protection.

— Freshman Roschon Johnson looks like he has already put on about 10 pounds of muscle since arriving, as he’s noticeably thicker in his upper body.

— The quarterbacks spent some time in what looked like it was basically a run-pass option drill. The quarterback would first hand off to a running back, then a snap from a coach and fire the ball out quickly.

— Freshman wide receiver Bru McCoy primarily took reps at the Z receiver position during the open portion of practice, as seniors John Burt and Devin Duvernay, the two most experienced players at the position, were not in attendance. In the wide receiver group, McCoy already stands out physically.

— Sophomore DeMarvion Overshown was working with the safeties and is listed as a defensive back on the roster after spending some time at linebacker last season.

— The defensive backs worked in drills focused on staying low in their backpedal, then flipping their hips and running, while the defensive line worked on the shooting their hands on the sleds.

— Several players were wearing no-contact jerseys, including freshman linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd (unknown), sophomore linebacker Caleb Johnson (shoulder), and junior defensive lineman Marqez Bimage (shoulder).

(Moving this from the other thread)

Since spring practice started today, here's a way-too-early bold predictions for next year: 

1. All three of Jones, Foster, and Sterns are All-Big 12 safeties
  2. One of them wins Big 12 Defensive POY
  3. Whittington has 1200 all-purpose yards
  4. Christian Jones makes FR All-American
  5. We don't have a 1000 yard rusher

Record prediction: 10-3 (not including a potential CCG)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

To me this seems like the boldest prediction.  I know he has all the physical tools, but I don't believe he's as refined at this point as Caden Sterns was coming out of high school.

That one is absolutely the wildcard. I needed one to be at least super bold. We saw it happen with Cosmi last year so it's possible, but obviously winning the starting job is the first step.

10 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

We are not going to lose a regular season game.  

I don't think this board is prepared for the game when our all-new defensive line, linebackers and corners have their worst, most rock-stupid headless-chicken game. It's going to happen and it's going to suuuuuuck.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't think this board is prepared for the game when our all-new defensive line, linebackers and corners have their worst, most rock-stupid headless-chicken game. It's going to happen and it's going to suuuuuuck.

Nah, don't think so. Doesn't mean we aren't going to lose a game or two, but it won't be total failure - more likely to be one or two stupid things coupled with XII Ref fuckery.