Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Herman maturing as a head coach will be the biggest contributor to improvement next season. No more unnecessary close games or a breakdown in discipline in the 4th quarter please.

Um, you do know that quite a bit of that was related to being a 1 deep team at many positions?

• Like 1

Chip Brown: What we learned after Day 1 of spring football

AUSTIN, Texas — The start of spring football is the first day to see how coaches are viewing next year’s way-too-early depth chart, how players’ bodies are changing, what the first goals and priorities are, and, quite frankly, who is on the field and who isn’t. We learned Monday receiver Devin Duvernay isn’t likely to start going through spring football until after spring break because these really cool shorts full of sensors worn by Texas' skill guys detected a deficiency in how some of his explosion muscles (glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors) were firing, which led to an MRI that revealed a “stress reaction in his pubic bone.”
Receiver John Burt, the Big 12 60-meter indoor hurdles champion, is focusing on track this spring and is expected back with the football team for fall camp. We learned behemoth offensive guard Patrick Hudson, one of the jewel defections from Baylor after the scandal surrounding the dismissal of Art Briles, has officially retired from football and will now serve as a volunteer in player development and assist UT trainers.
In somewhat alarming news, we learned redshirt freshman nose tackle Keondre Coburn is awaiting test results before being medically cleared for a second “kidney issue” in the past seven months signaled by intense back pain. “There have been blood tests and a piece of muscle has been biopsied,” Herman said of Coburn. “The prognosis is good, because he played for us after the first issue. But it’s a concern to have two of these episodes in the past seven months.” We learned Herman’s top priorities for the spring are:
— Developing leadership, especially on defense
— Settling on the starting five on the offensive line
— Finding ways to get the ball to an explosive group of playmakers
— Settling on a new front seven on defense
We learned Tope Imade, who lined up at first-team left guard on Monday, weighs 340 pounds with only 15 percent body fat and that Denzel Okafor, who lined up at first-team right tackle, is an impressive 320 pounds. Likely starting left tackle Sam Cosmi is up to 295 pounds from 280 at the Sugar Bowl. The first-day, first-team offensive line was: LT Cosmi, LG Imade, C Zach Shackelford, RG Derek Kerstetter and RT Okafor. The second-team OL was: LT Reese Moore, LG Junior Angilau, C Rafiti Ghirmai, RG J.P. Urquidez, RT Christian Jones.
Defensive end Marqez Bimage, the most explosive player on the team (700-pound squat) coming out of summer conditioning last season before a shoulder injury cut his 2018 short, is up to 270 pounds. We learned Herman likes the work ethic of his 10 early enrollee freshmen. When asked specifically about Bru McCoy, Herman said McCoy’s versatility is such he’ll work at the X, H (slot) and Z receiver positions. “Great kid who also happens to be a five-star athlete,” Herman said of McCoy, whose eligibility waiver has yet to be submitted by Texas as UT officials wait for the rulings on a few other high-profile transfer waivers before sending off McCoy’s.
We learned Herman didn’t have any history with former North Carolina coach Larry Fedora before Fedora visited six weeks ago, the two hit it off and Herman hired Fedora as an analyst. Herman is excited for the input of Fedora and new UT analysts Andre Coleman (the former OC at Kansas State) and Paul Williams (a former defensive coach at Houston) during the season when it comes to game-planning and advance scouting.
Former Longhorn defensive back Nathan Vasher is now working as a volunteer coach. Thank heavens, we learned B.J. Foster is “locked into” a position battle at nickel with Josh Thompson, according to Herman when asked if safety Brandon Jones could see time at nickel. (Foster is special, and playing him at nickel is a total game-changer for next year’s defense in my humble opinion).
We learned Herman thinks safety and receiver are going to be the Longhorns' cage match of position battles. “Much like receiver, safety is going to be a battle, because you only have three positions (sometimes four when we’re in a our Lightning stuff),” Herman said. “But there’s some really good players who might merit a rotation of some sort. But usually with defensive players, you like to keep them on the field for most series. The same is going to be true at receiver. There’s going to be some really talented guys duking it out.”
When asked about players who’ve done the best job reshaping their bodies since the end of last season, Herman listed the following players off the top of his head in order: Joseph Ossai, Daniel Carson, Jalen Green, Anthony Cook, Tope Imade, Reese Moore, Junior Angilau, Christian Jones, Sam Cosmi and Derek Kerstetter. We learned Herman isn’t talking about winning the Big 12 as the team’s primary goal at this point. “We’re focused on going 1-0 today and going 1-0 tomorrow,” Herman said.
Perhaps, most importantly, we learned Herman feels good about where his program’s culture is heading into Year 3. “It’s really cool when you have an established culture in your program,” Herman said. “The young guys get immersed in it, and there’s nowhere to hide. You either love football and love to work or you’re going to figure it out real quick. It’s been nice to see the young guys assimilate as quickly as they have.”

That's pretty scary with Coburn. I'm not a doctor so I don't want to speculate but that sounds like it could be a serious issue if it occurs twice in that time period. Hope he is okay in general, but definitely not what you want to hear about a guy who is going to be really important to this team over the next 3-4 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

LSU's OL is worse than Georgia's.  They gave up as many sacks and TFL's as aggy.  Let that sink in.  And their QB play is significantly inferior to UGa's as well.

Their defense OTOH hand is better than Georgia.  But they almost always end up in either man coverage or match quarters so it's easier to ID the correct part of the field to attack.

Yes, but dont expect that qb to have as bad of a game as Fromm did in the Sugar Bowl. Even if we caused the bad qb play with pressure, LSUs qb will be able to escape the pocket much more effectively.

5 minutes ago, Rynohorn said:

Yes, but dont expect that qb to have as bad of a game as Fromm did in the Sugar Bowl. Even if we caused the bad qb play with pressure, LSUs qb will be able to escape the pocket much more effectively.

We've seen better versions of Joe Burrow in conference play.  He's basically a poor man's version of Brock Purdy or Charlie Brewer.  That's how much of a running threat he is.  Burrow is far inferior as a passer though.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Rynohorn said:

Fromm was/is a statue, that played right into our hands. He had some poor drops too that hurt UGA. LSU qb can move, but we’ll be ready 

38 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Fromm was/is a statue, that played right into our hands. He had some poor drops too that hurt UGA. LSU qb can move, but we’ll be ready 

This is what I'm thinking. It's not like we don't already and have been facing those types of QBs. If something is of concern, it'll be that the game will be the first true test of our youngins on D. I wouldn't agree on a talent differential, but maybe an experience level (albeit I know nothing about them than the few games I watched last season.)

I just hope Sam, Ingram and whoever else is carrying the ball gets plenty of opportunities to knock Vincent and Chaisson on their assess and  get a W (duh.)

Edited by BigHorn'13

25 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If Foster beats out Thompson for the Nickle spot, Burrow will have a tough day running in Austin.  I can only imagine how many different run blitzes Orlando will throw out using Foster and Overshown.

DCs everywhere fantasize about the versatility of a defense with guys like Foster and Overshown on their roster.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If Foster beats out Thompson for the Nickle spot, Burrow will have a tough day running in Austin.  I can only imagine how many different run blitzes Orlando will throw out using Foster and Overshown.

Can BJ Foster realistically cover a slot receiver like Sills (from WVU)?  This is the biggest question mark regarding a Nickle.  PJ Locke was absolutely exposed last year against WVU.

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

Can BJ Foster realistically cover a slot receiver like Sills (from WVU)?  This is the biggest question mark regarding a Nickle.  PJ Locke was absolutely exposed last year against WVU.

Locke didn't play nickel against WVU. That was Josh Thompson.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

I think it depends on how much pressure we are getting. I think BJ is totally competent to jam a smaller receiver close to the line and stick with the play through their first move. I'm not sure I trust him to stay with a quick slot receiver for 5 or 6 seconds, though. 

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Also Fromm's bad game in the Sugar Bowl looked pretty much like Burrow's average game as a passer.  He did well against UGa because they have no pass rush.

35 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Looked like the playside to me

The RB lines up to Sam's right and runs right to left; you can see him flash in front of Sam from the camera's perspective.  Inside zone from the spread typically aims at the B-gap opposite the RB as the initial target.  Sam then pulls it down and throws back to his right.

Sam's first pass was to the playside; that was a TE swing pass or bubble screen from the pistol set.

Edited by sushihorn

13 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Um, you do know that quite a bit of that was related to being a 1 deep team at many positions?

This is completely wrong.

When Texas was leading by 14+ points in the fourth quarter last season they were outscored 80-3. When the game was closer or Texas was losing in the 4th quarter Texas was outscored 68-55. Depth explains a very small amount of the situation. Inability to put teams away was a much bigger factor.

The only points Texas scored when up by 14+ in the fourth quarter last season were from a field goal against Kansas to stretch the lead to 24-7.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

When Texas was leading by 14+ points in the fourth quarter last season they were outscored 80-3. When the game was closer or Texas was losing in the 4th quarter Texas was outscored 68-55. Depth explains a very small amount of the situation. Inability to put teams away was a much bigger factor.

The only points Texas scored when up by 14+ in the fourth quarter last season were from a field goal against Kansas to stretch the lead to 24-7.

Damn - watching those 4th quarter collapses was pure torture - Tech and OU games were notable but felt like this happened almost every week. 

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol with the “what we learned after day 1 of spring football”. Umm nothing? I don’t give a fuck until August when it matters, let’s rest any questionable injury and hit the weights hard over the summer and come in fresh for fall camp. 

Then don't comment and let those of us actually interested in Spring Ball discuss

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol with the “what we learned after day 1 of spring football”. Umm nothing? I don’t give a fuck until August when it matters, let’s rest any questionable injury and hit the weights hard over the summer and come in fresh for fall camp. 

Cool.  See you in August.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Some initial reactions from the first practice. Keep in mind, these aren't my words. These are the words from behind the scenes at Texas.

- I'm told that Jordan Whittington "belongs". It may not seem like high praise but it most certainly is. Whittington appears physically and mentally ready for college football. He isn't going to spend long getting acclimated.

- "Our OL is huge." Every single starting and back-up OL, except Sam Cosmi, is over 300 pounds.

- Among all OL, Derek Kerstetter was singled out as perhaps redefining his body the most. Kerstetter has always had a longer, leaner look to him, but he is starting to really fill out his frame.

- I'm told Jacoby Jones is "going to be a factor".

- I'm told Casey Thompson is practicing with a "higher level of confidence." It could be that the absence of Cam Rising, that the back-up job is there for the taking, or simply that this is now Thompson's second spring practice. Whatever the case, the staff liked his approach on day one.

- A surprise contributor you weren't necessarily thinking about? "I'd go with Daniel Carson (the redshirt freshman DL from Missouri). We may have found someone there."

One more note, and this deals with the overall talent level on the field: "This is starting to look like an elite program. You look at the bodies on these linemen, some of these receivers and DBs, we're getting there. It's just who is going to step up."

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm told that Jordan Whittington "belongs"  is absolutely fucking yoked. I mean have you seen this kid? No way he is 19. His arms look like he spends 12 hours a day in the gym. It may not seem like high praise but it most certainly is. Whittington appears physically and mentally ready for college football. He isn't going to spend long getting acclimated.

FIFY, Bobby

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

The RB lines up to Sam's right and runs right to left; you can see him flash in front of Sam from the camera's perspective.  Inside zone from the spread typically aims at the B-gap opposite the RB as the initial target.  Sam then pulls it down and throws back to his right.

Sam's first pass was to the playside; that was a TE swing pass or bubble screen from the pistol set.

Yes but we are aligned trips right with the TE on the line. So the strong side of the formation is where Sam throws the ball. I guess what I’m really saying is, inside zone to the RB is not the option. We are hoping the LB bites in the play action to hit the pass. If not Sam will run, because the LB has likely vacated for coverage. It’s also a possible wrinkle to throw a “backside” screen to the RB because of how many defenders will be on the strong side of the formation. This is more of a misdirection play imo. 

Part of the reason for late collapses is Herman’s game management philosophy, that he partially got from Mack.

The theory is to minimize taking chances in the second half of games when you lead or are close, and wait for the other team to make a mistake. Mack actually had a pretty good record (luck?) in those types of games.

I personally prefer the Jimmy Johnson go for the jugular approach, but you do have to have great talent to do that. I expect Herman to be more aggressive late in games this year because he has more talent now.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I expect Herman to be more aggressive late in games this year because he has more talent now.

And more experience at the QB position.  As much as Sam improved over the course of the 2018 season, I'm sure Herman was thinking about the possibility of seeing true freshman Sam during those second halves. 

The inability to score from distance made the level of difficulty much higher at the end of games too.  We really had no one that could take a quick play to the house, so conservative plays were just that.

I'm told that we learned a lot from day one.  can't wait for day 2.