Mass Effect Series

Viper

I'm currently playing the Mass Effect series. Just beat ME2 on pc but my copy of ME3 is xbox. I think I can import my character from pc to xbox but I need a ME2 xbox save folder first. Does anyone have a copy lying around?

• 9 months later...

The options were rhetorical, @The Earl of Texas. One was clearly supposed to select "Investigate."

And put me in the "Also Liked Andromeda" camp. Thought it was a solid continuation of the series, even if parts of the story and most of the characters seemed recycled. Of course, I played it 2.5 years after launch, when it was much cheaper and far less buggy than at release.

• Haha 1

buy it for the PC on Origin for $10-15 for all three games, the DLC is free now. Then add the ALOT and MEITUM mods along with any others at https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect. That's how I played them all. Also use the Xbox controller mod to play with a controller instead of the mouse and keyboard.

Edited by Viper

I didn't hate Andromeda. I definitely liked the combat upgrades from the earlier games. However, it felt somewhat directionless. Whereas with previous ME games, I didn't want them to end and kept hoping to find one more side mission, Andromeda occasionally felt like a chore and I was somewhat relieved when I reached the end. 

@Storm the Field That's fair and I felt the same way toward the end of Andromeda. Still, the combat system is dope and the game itself seems far better than advertised.

ME2 was my favorite, with ME3 a close second. I'd rate Andromeda even with ME1 but that's just me.

There's a YouTube review of Andromeda in which the host complains over and over how it's not a very good game, yet admits to having invested three playthroughs and more than 300 hours into it....

It boggles the mind.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Somebody tell me about Mass Effect since I've never played any of the series before, and with the Remaster coming out in the spring, I think I'll jump into it.  It should give me plenty of time to finish up with Mario Odyssey and start/finish BOTW. 

So tell me about the game, please tell me it's not super bloated like some of the Assassin's Creed games have been lately.  How many hours to progress through the story of the trilogy?  I heard Andromeda wasn't really that good, so is it skippable?

l'm a sucker for good video game music and Interstellar is one of my favorite movies, and the ME series from what I've seen definitely gives off that kind of vibe.  Can't wait.

30 minutes ago, iodeac said:

Somebody tell me about Mass Effect since I've never played any of the series before, and with the Remaster coming out in the spring, I think I'll jump into it.  It should give me plenty of time to finish up with Mario Odyssey and start/finish BOTW. 

So tell me about the game, please tell me it's not super bloated like some of the Assassin's Creed games have been lately.  How many hours to progress through the story of the trilogy?  I heard Andromeda wasn't really that good, so is it skippable?

l'm a sucker for good video game music and Interstellar is one of my favorite movies, and the ME series from what I've seen definitely gives off that kind of vibe.  Can't wait.

So it's a sci fi third person shooter rpg. Play time can be shortened by not doing all the side missions and planets. You build/gather a team of fellow humans and aliens and all the characters are well written and likeable (for the most part). It was pretty revolutionary for it's paragon/renegade system which dialog and action choices you make give you "good" or "bad" points and have actual consequences in the game, and even the sequels. Playing as either side is completely viable too, so many people play through at least twice to try each side. You can also customize your character as either male or female and it affects a lot of the dialog and romance choices. Again a lot of this stuff is part of modern rpg like Witcher and Cyberpunk to where it's expected, but you have to understand that it's the Mass Effect series that set the standard and made this stuff an expected part of any great modern rpg. 

Basically a lot of the love comes from the deep characters, immersive world and story, and consequently the emotional connection you make with everyone in the story, and also the replayability (play as a different class with different weapon, different moral choices, different sex, different romantic partners) and I guess the hot alien sex.

You can totally skip andromeda, it was an attempt at a spinoff that failed, 

• 1 month later...

really curious about the ME1 changes regarding weapons and such.  I guess I could see them keeping the overheating weapon aspect for just ME1.  Whatever they do to the Mako, I know it will piss off a bunch of fans since it seems to be so divisive. 

Love that they are using ME3 femshep for all the games. I assume they'll do the same with Liara, though I wasn't as much of a fan of supermodel Ashley.

8 hours ago, Viper said:

really curious about the ME1 changes regarding weapons and such.  I guess I could see them keeping the overheating weapon aspect for just ME1.  Whatever they do to the Mako, I know it will piss off a bunch of fans since it seems to be so divisive. 

Love that they are using ME3 femshep for all the games. I assume they'll do the same with Liara, though I wasn't as much of a fan of supermodel Ashley.

I really, REALLY, hope they don't add thermal clips to ME1.  IMHO, the ability to spec your weapons to your style in ME1 was one of the game's best features.  Want your weapon to fire endlessly without overheating? You can do that.  Want a massively-powered shot that may mean you may need to wait two seconds or so before a your weapon is cooled down enough for another one? You can do that, too.  Mass Effect took place in the future, in a vastly more advanced society.  It made sense that they developed weapons systems that didn't require ammunition.  Now the console "Simon Says" decryption minigame in ME1? Yeah, they can get rid of that bullshit and I doubt anyone would complain.  Apparently my reflexes have declined just enough in 13 years that it takes me multiple attempts to do that damn thing (at least until I can scrap enough stuff to just Omni gel everything).

I have heard all classes will be able to use all weapons.  Unifying FemShep and the character creation options across all three is a nice touch. 

Edited by Dutch

I only played it about 2 years ago so I had all the dlc and have only had that ending, plus I installed a mod to skip all the minigames. I'm not sure there will be a lot of, or any story changes though I did see that they shot down the indoctrination theory.

33 minutes ago, Viper said:

I only played it about 2 years ago so I had all the dlc and have only had that ending, plus I installed a mod to skip all the minigames. I'm not sure there will be a lot of, or any story changes though I did see that they shot down the indoctrination theory.

it just felt like kind of a ripoff after i spent all that time making all those choices. i really loved the game, so i guess that is why the ending turned me off so strongly.

16 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I'm down. I know it's ME1-3, but will they be throwing in all the DLCs too? I really liked some of the Shadow Broker ones in ME2.

Yes, every DLC will be included, except Pinnacle Station from ME1 (original files were corrupted).  I actually enjoyed Pinnacle Station and, more importantly, the ability to purchase X-level Spectre weapons for WAAAAY less than the merchants on The Citadel.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02/02/bioware-explains-pinnacle-station-dlc-exclusion-from-mass-effect-legendary-edition

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yes, every DLC will be included, except Pinnacle Station from ME1 (original files were corrupted).  I actually enjoyed Pinnacle Station and, more importantly, the option to purchase X-level Spectre weapons for WAAAAY less than the merchants on The Citadel.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02/02/bioware-explains-pinnacle-station-dlc-exclusion-from-mass-effect-legendary-edition

Kinda crazy that they just can't find the files for it. I bet someone in the modding community could help them find it.

it will also be missing multiplayer from ME3 (just no time to add it in)

Edited by Viper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...