The Black Crowes Thread

Al_4_ISU

So basically, it's an overt money grab where the thing that your dedicated fan base wants to see won't be there.  That is, chemistry between guys who have spent so much time together playing they know when the guy next to them is going to take his next breath, but maybe surprise everyone with the next note.  So that hard core fan base won't be terribly inspired to come see you play because what they want won't be there, but The Brothers Robinson are banking that another group of people (unknown youngsters with a sense of nostalgia for what they've never seen, perhaps?) wants to see you play your 30 year old debut album and disregard everyone else?

Man, I'm not buying it.  This doesn't bode well.  

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So basically, it's an overt money grab where the thing that your dedicated fan base wants to see won't be there.  That is, chemistry between guys who have spent so much time together playing they know when the guy next to them is going to take his next breath, but maybe surprise everyone with the next note.  So that hard core fan base won't be terribly inspired to come see you play because what they want won't be there, but The Brothers Robinson are banking that another group of people (unknown youngsters with a sense of nostalgia for what they've never seen, perhaps?) wants to see you play your 30 year old debut album and disregard everyone else?

Man, I'm not buying it.  This doesn't bode well.  

Literally. Literally.

The reason behind the tour was pretty simple, according to Chris. "We want to celebrate the most commercial part of our life," he said.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8543215/black-crowes-confirm-reunion-tour

• Like 1

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

Literally. Literally.

The reason behind the tour was pretty simple, according to Chris. "We want to celebrate the most commercial part of our life," he said.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8543215/black-crowes-confirm-reunion-tour

Well hell, didn't see that.  Thanks for the correction.

That just doesn't seem to be how you roll out a tour - "Hey, we hate each other and fuck all our old bandmates.  Come see us.  We're not here to entertain you, just dancing bears who want to take your money."

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Well hell, didn't see that.  Thanks for the correction.

That just doesn't seem to be how you roll out a tour - "Hey, we hate each other and fuck all our old bandmates.  Come see us.  We're not here to entertain you, just dancing bears who want to take your money."

Oh I didn't mean it as a correction, I meant it as a corroboration. You're spot on, and I agree, I am somehow still surprised they'd exacerbate the dissatisfaction the diehard fans have with the new lineup by taking the "fuck our old bandmates" attitude. I mean I'm not surprised the Robinson brothers would be assholes. They're assholes. I just mean of all the ways to respond to it, they've picked the most obnoxious one. 

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

JamBase via Rolling Stone says

Chris and Rich will be backed by guitarist Isaiah Mitchell of Earthless and former Tedeschi Trucks Band bassist Tim Lefebvre as well as Once & Future Band members Joel Robinow on keyboards and drummer Raj Ojha

How can they not at least get Marc Ford and Sven Pipien?  Those guys have been playing in The Magpie Salute.  Chris probably blackballed them just to spite Rich.  Those four could at least get away with calling themselves the Black Crowes.

This wasn't Led Zeppelin

spacer.png

• Like 3

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-black-crowes-play-first-reunion-concert-in-new-york-city-video-setlist/

THE BLACK CROWES played their first reunion show last night (Monday, November 11) at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City. The concert took place just hours after brothers Chris and Rich Robinson announced a 46-date 2020 tour to celebrate the 30th anniversary of THE BLACK CROWES' classic debut album, 1990's "Shake Your Money Maker".

Joining Chris and Rich in the new BLACK CROWES lineup are EARTHLESS guitarist Isaiah Mitchell, former TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND bassist Tim Lefebvre along with ONCE AND FUTURE BAND members Joel Robinow on keyboards and Raj Ojha on drums.

The 60-minute Bowery Ballroom concert in front of a 600-strong crowd saw THE BLACK CROWES perform only the songs from the band's debut, along with the encore cover version of THE ROLLING STONES' "It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)".

The setlist was as follows:

01. Twice As Hard
02. Jealous Again
03. Sister Luck
04. Could I've Been So Blind
05. Seeing Things
06. Hard To Handle
07. Thick N' Thin
08. She Talks To Angels
09. Struttin' Blues
10. Stare It Cold
11. It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)

Regarding the decision to enlist all-new members for THE BLACK CROWES' reunion, Chris told Rolling Stone: "That was the first thing Rich and I agreed on. We don't want anyone from the solo groups. We don't want anyone from the past." Rich added: "In order to make this work. To give Chris and I the space to…" Chris interjected: "Be here right now."

hey look at that, they've finally busted out the "It's Only Rock N Roll" cover they refused to do 21 years ago

So today a caller called into Howard and asked what being in open E tuning was and Howard explained it. Then he went on to say how he couldn’t hear Chris singing but after the performance said how good they were lol

I wonder if Chris had the same problem. Notice how bothered he is by the headphones

I reread Gorman's book the last couple of days and came up with an example of what bothered me (slightly) about it. It seems like he sets stuff up in places, and then there's no payoff. The whole thing with Rich declining Jimmy Page's offer to collaborate is the best example. He spends multiple pages on how colossally stupid the decision was, how much he wanted to murder him for disrespecting Page and declining his help, etc. He ends the chapter by saying he decided at that point he would never play with Rich again.

And a few years later, he's back in the band. No giant confrontation with Rich, no conversation, discussion, anything. He goes from hating and wanting to murder the guy and swearing he'll never play with him again to "OK, I'm back in the band" without ever addressing in the book what came of those feelings. Did it never get discussed? Did he never ask for an explanation? Did it not really bother him that much, did he just exaggerate for effect? 

There's a disconnect there, and I feel like there are disconnects like that throughout the book. Which is fine, my memoir wouldn't be binary IF THENs for 400 pages either, but I think that's why I felt slightly off reading it. 

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I reread Gorman's book the last couple of days and came up with an example of what bothered me (slightly) about it. It seems like he sets stuff up in places, and then there's no payoff. The whole thing with Rich declining Jimmy Page's offer to collaborate is the best example. He spends multiple pages on how colossally stupid the decision was, how much he wanted to murder him for disrespecting Page and declining his help, etc. He ends the chapter by saying he decided at that point he would never play with Rich again.

And a few years later, he's back in the band. No giant confrontation with Rich, no conversation, discussion, anything. He goes from hating and wanting to murder the guy and swearing he'll never play with him again to "OK, I'm back in the band" without ever addressing in the book what came of those feelings. Did it never get discussed? Did he never ask for an explanation? Did it not really bother him that much, did he just exaggerate for effect? 

There's a disconnect there, and I feel like there are disconnects like that throughout the book. Which is fine, my memoir wouldn't be binary IF THENs for 400 pages either, but I think that's why I felt slightly off reading it. 

It seemed he usually mentioned what lured him back him, but you're right about this example.

That all kind of came at that point where he just started rushing through things and a lot of the details fell by the wayside.  In hindsight, it seems like the story built up to the Jimmy Page incident, and then the aftermath was really, really rushed to the end point.  With (assumedly) a ton of details left out.  There's a decade of Black Crowes existence that was pretty much "yada yada yada'd".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Otis Redding's the best thing to come out of Macon, Ga.

Perhaps not much of an accomplishment (Little Richard probably No.2), but I love that the Black Crowes and Robinson Bros. appreciated him so much.

Listen, I love Otis as much as the next person but goddamnit if Long Tall Sally doesn’t get my dick hard every time I hear it.

I have issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Ann Wilson talking about, and covering, "She Talks To Angels". I got tired of that song about 25 years ago, but this was interesting. I love Ann Wilson's voice, but her treatment of this song... I dunno. It's a little much in places. It's a simple, laid-back song, and it seems like her only idea of what to do with all the space is to fucking blast it. But it's cool. I can't even begin to imagine how cool it would be to have Ann Wilson cover a song you wrote. 

The Black Crowes manager Mark DiDia first leaked news of the reunion on The Howard Stern Show, forcing an early announcement. Nikki Sixx said at a press conference yesterday, “We would have announced it here, the way it should have been. It was announced by The Black Crowes manager, which I heard their tour was just cancelled and he got fired, unfortunately, but that doesn’t affect our stadium tour.”

The Black Crowes mocking Robert Plant was recently revealed. Total13 responded on the MetalSludge.TV forums, appearing to shoot down Sixx’s claim, “Tour is still on….Mark is somewhat of an old school rock legend in the radio promo label world and now managing(which a lot of those type of guys are doing now). The Black Crowes and this Stadium Tour are both Live Nation tours so if there was any pressure to get rid of Mark it would of come from Live Nation from him leaking the stadium tour…personally I think Nikki is talking out of his ass. There is too much money on the table with both tours.”

On 11/22/2019 at 6:40 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Otis Redding's the best thing to come out of Macon, Ga.

Perhaps not much of an accomplishment (Little Richard probably No.2), but I love that the Black Crowes and Robinson Bros. appreciated him so much.

Rich would probably tell Otis to go fuck himself.

• 2 months later...

The Robinson brothers have been mum on Gorman's book for the most part, but... Rich couldn't resist this one (I still believe Gorman's side of things)

https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-black-crowes-rich-robinson-i-didnt-snub-jimmy-page

The Black Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson has denied claims that he snubbed  Jimmy Page.

Ex-Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman recently claimed that Page was “insulted” after Robinson snubbed his offer to write songs with the Crowes after the Led Zeppelin guitarist had played a series of dates with them.

According to Gorman, Robinson told Page: “No thanks... we’ve got enough.” The drummer then alleged that a furious Page informed the Crowes’ then-manager that he was “driving to Connecticut and I’m going to kill Rich in his home’.”

Speaking exclusively in the brand new issue of Classic Rock, Robinson shot down the claim.

“Absolutely not true,” he said. “I remember having conversations with Jimmy, telling him: ‘Hey, if you ever wanted to make a record or do anything, I would love to help in any way I can.’ Jimmy’s a brilliant musician, a brilliant person. I loved playing with him.”

Pointing out that he and Page have subsequently jammed on stage, he added: “Jimmy Page wants to write songs for me, and I’m gonna say: “You know what, Jimmy? Led Zeppelin was alright, but I’m not gonna do it’? It’s the most absurd thing I’ve heard in my life.” 

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I have a hard time believing Page would say he would drive to his home and kill him. We all know he would retire to some haunted mansion and cast a black magick spell on him. 

I would just have a hard time believing he doesn't have a driver.

18 hours ago, Deej said:

I have a hard time believing Page would say he would drive to his home and kill him. We all know he would retire to some haunted mansion and cast a black magick spell on him. 

OK, well, that part of the article doesn't make any sense as written. Gorman told Pete Angelus that he (Gorman) was going to drive to Robinson's and kill him. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

See, this would actually be worthwhile.  I would have been far more into this as a large scale tour than I am about the "Black Crowes" tour.

Yes. I saw them from the 2nd row at the Texas Union Ballroom back in March 06, it was absolutely incredible to be that physically close to two musicians who influenced and inspired me the way they did. I don't really have any interest in what they're doing as the nominal Black Crowes at this point, absent a new record/EP, but as just the two brothers? There's probably not much they could do that this point to turn me off the acoustic duo shows.

• Like 1

will be out of town or i would have tried for sure. also planning on seeing them at COTA this summer. 

it's a strange distinction to be willing to see the brothers as a duo but morally opposed to seeing a black crowes tour. either way they're the same assholes playing the same songs and you're still supporting them regardless of who is or isn't playing with them. 

8 minutes ago, stc said:

will be out of town or i would have tried for sure. also planning on seeing them at COTA this summer. 

it's a strange distinction to be willing to see the brothers as a duo but morally opposed to seeing a black crowes tour. either way they're the same assholes playing the same songs and you're still supporting them regardless of who is or isn't playing with them. 

The Black Crowes were a band.  A great band.  And the Robinson Brothers with a couple hired guns are NOT the Black Crowes.  But they're pretending to be for the cash grab.

The Robinson Brothers by themselves aren't pretending to be anything they aren't.  It's just Rich and Chris, and it's billed as such.  No one's trying to feed you a line of shit.

• Like 1

And the Robinson Brothers with a couple hired guns are NOT the Black Crowes

that's where i disagree. they've rotated members in and out of the band since the beginning. i personally preferred the marc ford/eddie harsch era...but they didn't cease to be the black crowes when those members left. chris and rich wrote all the songs, they are the band. they get to decide who the other members are. it sucks for steve gorman but tough shit, sorry these assholes fucked you over. 

20 minutes ago, stc said:

they didn't cease to be the black crowes when those members left.

eh, it kind of felt like it-- 1998-2001 didn't authentically feel like the Black Crowes anymore

I did think that the Warpaint era band at least represented a genuine evolution (all the way through Before the Frost, although I didn't care for that as much). It wasn't the same but it was its own authentic thing. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

eh, it kind of felt like it-- 1998-2001 didn't authentically feel like the Black Crowes anymore

I did think that the Warpaint era band at least represented a genuine evolution (all the way through Before the Frost, although I didn't care for that as much). It wasn't the same but it was its own authentic thing. 

Pretty much where I'm at.

The Warpaint era was pretty authentic.  You had Gorman and Sven as the rhythm section, and that makes 4 guys that go back to the beginning of this whole deal.

Also, I'm looking at this just like they are. spin the hits with the original vocalist and main songwriters.  I'll probably go because I really ike the songs(I bought the original CD adn the 3 after that) but I only got to see them once at ACL Live on the final tour.  It won't be like that show but I will hear some songs live I haven't heard before. 

I can totally understand people that have seen them multiple times over the years avoiding the cash grab aspect of this.