Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136

A large-scale scheme to cheat on college entrance exams has been busted by the FBI and federal prosecutors in Boston, according to court documents unsealed Tuesday.

The alleged scheme focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment.

The plot involved students who attended or were seeking to attend Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale, according to federal prosecutors.

Say it ain't so, Aunt Becky!

https://abc11.com/actresses-ceos-charged-in-alleged-college-admissions-scam/5186103/

BOSTON -- Actresses and chief executives are among 50 people arrested in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, authorities announced Tuesday.

According to charging documents, actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin are among those involved facing charges.

The suspects allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their kids into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and USC.

Image result for aunt becky gif

They allege that Huffman and her husband "made a purported charitable contribution of $15,000...to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter. Huffman later made arrangements to pursue the scheme a second time, for her younger daughter, before deciding not to do so."

Don't have much opinion on Huffman.  People liked her in Sports Night, I think, but:

William_H_Macy.jpg

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

$6 million bribes for a better name on the college diploma?  That’s assuming the kid actually graduates, and doesn’t take into account that the degree might/probably is in some worthless bullshit anyway.

Just ... why?  Put that same money in a trust fund for the kid and they come out way, way ahead.

I remember when you just donated a wing of the library or a new building to get your kid into college.

Jesus.  I hope whoever was in on it at UT goes to PMITA prison.

Also,

Authorities say parents would pay him a predetermined amount, with full knowledge of what they were doing. He would then steer the money to one of two places: either an SAT or ACT administrator, or a college athletic coach. 

counting-to-three-6985278.jpg

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I expect Del Conte will not find this very amusing and Carter is placed on leave within 24 hours.

leave?  dude hes going to be let go today.   you get indicted by the feds, and its a something redic...... like 97% conviction rate.     let him go, and if he somehow gets declared innocent, pay the rest of his contract as an apology

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

leave?  dude hes going to be let go today.   you get indicted by the feds, and its a something redic...... like 97% conviction rate.     let him go, and if he somehow gets declared innocent, pay the rest of his contract as an apology

Yup.

He will be terminated by the end of the day, I'm sure.

And CDC thought he wasn't going to have a coaching search this year.  Now he has 1, and maybe 2 (Shaka). 

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I smell a Bev Kearney saga in the making . . . Center will still be battling this in court in 2030.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Must be a lot of new money in California if folks are throwing out that kind cash just to let people know they aren’t smart enough for Stanford or Berkeley, or high class enough for USC.

Funny thing is SC was a safety school for a lot of people back in my day (it was for me).  Now it's harder than shit to get into, and pricier than all get out.

Just now, Machinator said:
Charged by Complaint
Defendant Charges Case Status U.S. District Court
Gregory ABBOTT Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud   Southern District of New York
  • Like 1

A very bad racket, I'm all for their asses being busted.  And, everyone has a strong cheater detection circuit thus broad interest in this story.

But, a few dozen people exchanging places within the elite pipeline strikes me as a bit of a diversion.  As bad as this was, solving it will not make a dent on the overall society.  Making a broadly better educated population will have an enormous benefit.

• Like 2