Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

1 minute ago, gecko said:

Maracaibo isn't in Ecuador.  Where did you go to school?  Or more importantly, what celebrity bought your way into school?

It's all Gran Colombia to me

but yeah that was point I don't think she's hanging out in Venezuela. Oh and I went to Baylor so yeah...let's just say you don't have to pay extra to go to church camp other than the ridiculous tuition.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

At what point does Louie Anderson make an appearance in the middle of all of these FBI investigations spiraling out at the college level? I honestly thought the Lori Laughlin/Felicity Huffman stuff was made-up when I heard it on the radio this morning. It's entering Theater of the Absurd level shit here, man. If it turns out that Lori Laughlin actually fled the country, I'll lose it completely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

That sucks. Centers are family friends and good people. Hope nothing comes of it. 

If true, he ain't good people. Maybe he seems like a cool guy and is willing to help you out in a pinch, but he took bribes to let non-tennis players on the tennis team. And it wasn't just helping out a friend to get their kid into UT. He was meeting people in parking lots to accept $60K in cash.

Seems a bit harmless until you realize that someone else was almost assuredly not admitted to UT because of him. I don't think much of people that have zero integrity.

And while the stories seem to focus on the people accepting bribes, the story about Michael Center indicates the college student was somewhat aware of the arrangement. They should have their UT academic record frozen and expelled. Potential ignorance of your parents bribes doesn't magically validate your school acceptance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If true, he ain't good people. Maybe he seems like a cool guy and is willing to help you out in a pinch, but he took bribes to let non-tennis players on the tennis team. And it wasn't just helping out a friend to get their kid into UT. He was meeting people in parking lots to accept $60K in cash.

Seems a bit harmless until you realize that someone else was almost assuredly not admitted to UT because of him. I don't think much of people that have zero integrity.

And while the stories seem to focus on the people accepting bribes, the story about Michael Center indicates the college student was somewhat aware of the arrangement. They should have their UT academic record frozen and expelled. Potential ignorance of your parents bribes doesn't magically validate your school acceptance.

Well, yeah, he may or may not be depending on the outcome. Probably should have qualified with "always seemed like". 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Some of the colleges are private schools. Where’s the crime? Perhaps they broke an admissions policy but how is that criminal?

This might apply, it might not, I'm no attorney, but disregarding the tax issues, this summary of "commercial" bribery seems relevant.  I'm sure I will be duly scolded by our attorneys, though:

Commercial bribery is the giving or offering to give, directly or indirectly, anything of value to any private agent, employee, or fiduciary, without the knowledge and consent of the principal or employer, with the intent to influence such agent’s, employee’s, or fiduciary’s action in relation to the principal’s or employer’s affairs.

Edited by jimmyjazz

http://www.thekeyworldwide.com/the_key_foundation/

Mission
The Key Foundation’s mission is to provide guidance, encouragement, and opportunity to disadvantaged students around the world.

Since its founding in 2014, the Key Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, has touched the lives of hundreds of students that would never have been exposed to what higher education could do for them. Many of these students have only known life on the streets, surrounded by the gang violence of the inner-city. The Key Foundation, directly or partnered with other organizations, have met these students where they live, to encourage them, and open doors for enriching opportunities beyond their wildest imaginations. More than just donating funds, the Key Foundation often donates the time of the very experts that coach and train some of the most affluent students in the world, to give the same opportunity to those that have none. Each year, the Key Foundation provides 30 disadvantaged students with a full scholarship to the Key’s Premium College Coaching program

Some of the Key Foundation’s partners include:
Ladylike
Generation Wow
Oakland Soldiers
Atlanta Express
Houston Hoops
USTA
Bizworld
Smile On U - Cambodia

ruh-roh, partners!

3 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Once again, Deadspin delivers.

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

Lori Laughlin may have committed fraud, and your mind goes to the Cloak room?

That's kinda weird.

Kinky.

1 hour ago, happyfunball said:

Lulz USD

Definitely out of rep. UCSD is where the nerds go, anyway. If you're gonna bribe... why USD?

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not enough money to bribe people to go there.

Blew it all on Jimbo's contract, because SEC SEC SEC. :) 

6 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

What do you mean, assistant AD?

I can't believe that this stopped at the tennis coach. It's not like someone at Belmont wouldn't realize that it's a possibility that a coach could fake a recruit to get them by admissions. Or wonder why an applicants "quit" the team on Day 1.

Perhaps someone at Belmont found a few thousand in their desk, or they didn't care enough to investigate but I don't believe this type of scam wasn't on someone's radar.

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Don't forget the extra warm bodies from A&M Persian Gulf.  

At least when you see an aggy grad you know one thing, the man behind that mop got into a&m the honest way....he was on a list of Texas  high school graduates or GED recipients.

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't believe that this stopped at the tennis coach. It's not like someone at Belmont wouldn't realize that it's a possibility that a coach could fake a recruit to get them by admissions. Or wonder why an applicants "quit" the team on Day 1.

Perhaps someone at Belmont found a few thousand in their desk, or they didn't care enough to investigate but I don't believe this type of scam wasn't on someone's radar.

Can we blame this on Plonsky?

Somehow?

Yes?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

oh, i think this is just getting started. people are going to start singing like birdies.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I would conjugate every verb known to man with her  

Beg: I beg, I will beg, I would beg, I begged

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

They may have only snared our tennis coach, but there will probably be some pretty funny signs at football games if we flounder.

if we played @ A&M this year the signs would say 'I WENT TO TEXAS "FORE" MY EDUCATION!!!!!!'

• Like 2