Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

24 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You had me up until here.  Ummm...no.  Literally the opposite.  LA and California in general are a fucking cesspool economically 

its really not though. this place seems to be immune to fucking everything its maddening, I would have bought a place here for the appreciation alone, but nothing affects housing here. 

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Then take in the view. Arizona State and USC have an on campus product that almost no school I've ever seen rivals. Sure there is mad quality at places like Tech and Southwest Texas (TSU). But per capita and average, not to mention insane outliers beyond the norm... Spank bank material for decades. ASU amazes, USC brings it like no other. Yeah, I'm including UT and I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's the truth.

So, hark, my amigo, there is always a silver lining.

And if it so happens your daughter actually wants to get into film in any aspect, really the best place to go.

Dude?  It's TxSt bro... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Let me give you some upsides. Take these for what it's worth.

You now have a great reason to visit CA. I would never live there personally, but I sure don't mind spending time there as the bar scene and weather are well... Legit.

You also get to visit your (step? You might not consider yourself a step dad and I accept that sentiment)daughter on USC campus. Now, say what you will about the quality of USC education. I attended the last game USC played in Austin, have attended watch parties as I already noted, when to the national championship game against them and have spent a lot of time in LA. I say all that to lend weight to my next statement. The time you spend on USC campus will be a magical if not equitable payback for the pain your wife is suffering. Be 100% certain to get out and attend a Sept game under the premise of visiting her. Attend a football game with or without the wife and daughter. Make sure to schedule some alone time to "Get a good feel for the campus and it's amenities.". Boring stuff.. libraries or whatever gets you alone.

Then take in the view. Arizona State and USC have an on campus product that almost no school I've ever seen rivals. Sure there is mad quality at places like Tech and Southwest Texas (TSU). But per capita and average, not to mention insane outliers beyond the norm... Spank bank material for decades. ASU amazes, USC brings it like no other. Yeah, I'm including UT and I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's the truth.

So, hark, my amigo, there is always a silver lining.

And if it so happens your daughter actually wants to get into film in any aspect, really the best place to go.

Yeah that’s all well and good.  I’ve been to LA plenty.  Hell, one of my best childhood friends is a fucking movie star and I hang out with him when I go there.  Best restaurants, best clubs, best parties...pretty much red carpet treatment.  And it’s still a fucking cesspool.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

That is a breathtakingly dumb statement.

Sorry I responded to your post, good luck.

Yeah, I didn't get his reply either.  A state with a GDP of $3.1 trln doesn't sound like it's an economic cesspool.  Fifth largest GDP in the world if it was its own country.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah, I didn't get his reply either.  A state with a GDP of $3.1 trln doesn't sound like it's an economic cesspool.  Fifth largest GDP in the world if it was its own country.

Hahaha you sound like someone from California.  Meanwhile, they are BEGGING the federal government to bail them out of their shit.  No CR here, but if you don’t know how bad the economic situation in California is, you’re just not paying attention.  It’s like a fucking 3rd world country in most parts.  They don’t know the term “government funded” is a made up term.  It’s “tax payer funded” you dumb fucks.  But hey, good weather and stuff

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Hahaha you sound like someone from California.  Meanwhile, they are BEGGING the federal government to bail them out of their shit.  No CR here, but if you don’t know how bad the economic situation in California is, you’re just not paying attention.  It’s like a fucking 3rd world country in most parts.  They don’t know the term “government funded” is a made up term.  It’s “tax payer funded” you dumb fucks.  But hey, good weather and stuff

You're right, most parts are like a 3rd world country... those usually have reps like Devin Nunez but as you say, no CR here (rigggghttt).  But the small geographic parts that most people live in that generate a lot of that $3+ tr are decidedly NOT shit holes.

Los Angeles County was the largest county by output, with its $710.9 billion GDP — equivalent to Saudi Arabia — accounting for 3.8% of the U.S. total. L.A. County added $395.2 billion to total U.S. GDP from 2001 to 2018. New York County, home to Manhattan, added $340 billion.

FYI, LA County would be the 7th largest state economy in the USA if it was its own state.

And finally, no I am not from California, never lived in California but have had some very nice (yet expensive) visits to California.  Overall I have found it to be a great place, but I could never afford to live there on the lifestyle I am accustomed to.

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You're right, most parts are like a 3rd world country... those usually have reps like Devin Nunez but as you say, no CR here (rigggghttt).  But the small geographic parts that most people live in that generate a lot of that $3+ tr are decidedly NOT shit holes.

FYI, LA County would be the 7th largest state economy in the USA if it was its own state.

And finally, no I am not from California, never lived in California but have had some very nice (yet expensive) visits to California.  Overall I have found it to be a great place, but I could never afford to live there on the lifestyle I am accustomed to.

Okay that’s all good.  And trust me...if this were as simple as “la sounds fun and it’s a great place to visit’ I’d be all in.

I’ve visited. I’ve done it at (not quite but almost) thee highest level.  I can definitely afford to live there.

The place sucks.

If you have any fucking semblance of self-respect, you’ll at least be able to acknowledge that?!

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I think you are confusing “economic” situation from complete bassackward fucking state government.  Our economy is (at least pre-Covid) absolutely cranking.  Jobs are plentiful, incomes are high (generally), but the state feels they need to guarantee everyone the right to live here.  That’s where it all breaks down.  But the economy is a fucking machine out here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I’ve visited. I’ve done it at (not quite but almost) thee highest level.  I can definitely afford to live there.

The place sucks.

If you have any fucking semblance of self-respect, you’ll at least be able to acknowledge that?!

I don't know, you tell me. 

If you can afford to live there in a 4,000 sq ft house in a great school district then tell me what is wrong with it.  Why does it suck?  Do you miss Whataburger that much?

Like I said, I can afford to live there but not at my same lifestyle.

27 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don't know, you tell me. 

If you can afford to live there in a 4,000 sq ft house in a great school district then tell me what is wrong with it.  Why does it suck?  Do you miss Whataburger that much?

Like I said, I can afford to live there but not at my same lifestyle.

Yeah, I was just thinking anyone can "afford" to live there, but you might just make due with a tent with the other city dwellers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I think you are confusing “economic” situation from complete bassackward fucking state government.  Our economy is (at least pre-Covid) absolutely cranking.  Jobs are plentiful, incomes are high (generally), but the state feels they need to guarantee everyone the right to live here.  That’s where it all breaks down.  But the economy is a fucking machine out here.

Yeah maybe.  And thanks for the clarification.  I certainly respect your POV on all of this.

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

giphy.gif

you sound like my dad.  you've been instructed on who your enemies are so well that it ends up pavlovian.

Haha well, you know what they say.  If you’re young and not a liberal then you have no heart.  If you’re old and not a conservative then you have no brain.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Richter said:

The big winners here are the lawyers who somehow managed to get them to fight this for as long as they did. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Long, not necessarily.  There is a "trial penalty" that is well known, which means you will usually get a longer sentence than that offered in the plea in return for exercising your right to trial.  So, longER, yes.

The DOJ has a policy of a) charging the worst offense the evidence will arguably support and b) plea bargaining only on that worst offense (as opposed to some of the less-bad offenses charged, or lesser-included offenses).

After guilt is established, by plea or trial, the sentencing guidelines kick in.  They establish a range with about a 10-15% variance that the judge can sentence in.  They are advisory only, meaning the judge can ignore them if s/he wants.  But they rarely do.

The trial judge has the option of "stacking" convictions of multiple crimes, especially if they are not of the same criminal episode.  Meaning the sentences can run consecutively instead of concurrently.  That's usually reserved for the worst offenders, but that is the worst-case outcome.

The frequent quotations of the statutory maximums in reporting is misleading.  One needs to do at least a cursory guideline calculation to determine what the real sentence may be.  I haven't seen anyone attempt to do a guideline calculation on these, but I'm guessing the months not years represents the lower end of a guideline calculation.

For crimes of a financial nature, as these might be considered (certainly how they're charged), the "loss number," that is how much money did victims lose, is a key to how high the sentence goes.  I have seen that the government has tried to argue that the money paid is the loss, mostly without success.  In other words, they argue that the loss is $500k, which might provoke a sentence of years, and the judges have discounted that substantially to arrive at sentences of months.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Bet she and her husband wish they'd pled last year like Huffman did.  Now they're looking at spending time in some federal facility, presumably on a staggered basis (I assume the judge won't require them to be incarcerated simultaneously).  Even the minimum-security facilities are going to involve substantially escalated COVID risks compared to their current home environment.

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Bet she and her husband wish they'd pled last year like Huffman did.  Now they're looking at spending time in some federal facility, presumably on a staggered basis (I assume the judge won't require them to be incarcerated simultaneously).  Even the minimum-security facilities are going to involve substantially escalated COVID risks compared to their current home environment.

DabdMVDVQAMxng_.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don't know.  Huffman got less, but also did/paid less. The 500k defendants were getting 6-9 months.  I have to think that the threat of exposing some details about the investigation may have softened up the government.  

Reports to federal prisons are being substantially delayed.  It appears, as has been medically reported, that the women's prisons are less susceptible than the mens.  https://www.bop.gov/coronavirus/

That is, if you believe BOP isn't lying.  There's some evidence that they're lying about Brooklyn MDC, where Epstein died.  But it's a detention facility, with more people going in and out.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:05 AM, Sbbruin said:

Mrs. Brat was born in Culver City, so California has that going for itself.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Is this really a thing? Do they have younger kids?  

I'm speculating, but I've read about it happening in other cases.  Don't think they have real young kids -- just the two spoiled college-age ones they were trying to sneak into USC.  

54 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat was born in Culver City, so California has that going for itself.

This is completely off topic, but what the hell.  Culver City has an interesting history.  Look at this map.

unnamed.jpg.02fa331cea7b5f44cc3390954656df2c.jpg

That far left appendage is now a Costco.  It used to be a dog racing park.  Back during Prohibition LA started cracking down on booze and gambling; Culver City did not, in fact they were rumored to have encouraged it.  So they started buying up property to get to the dog tract, and slowly incorporated the gerrymandered piece into their city.   When the booze and gambling at the dog track led to the untimely death of some patrons, the CC cops would simple drag the body over the city line at let the LA cops deal with it.

Good times.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Maybe that's what they're counting on - government letting out every other fucking criminal. Why not them?

15 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Maybe that's what they're counting on - government letting out every other fucking criminal. Why not them?

I doubt that they'll end up serving full sentences just because full sentences are almost never served out.  If they behave themselves, they'll get out early.  But that also would have been the case if they had pled out last year. 

23 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I doubt that they'll end up serving full sentences just because full sentences are almost never served out.  If they behave themselves, they'll get out early.  But that also would have been the case if they had pled out last year. 

Federal sentences less than a year are 100% served.  They have a different deal than states do.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 3:52 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Federal sentences less than a year are 100% served.  They have a different deal than states do.

Yep.  Sentences of 12 months and a day, or 13 months are common to trigger the availability of good time.

The statute providing good time says you get 54 days per year of good time if you behave.

Astonishingly, BOP interpreted that to mean per year of time actually served, so it wound up being substantially less than 54 days per year until the First Step Act fixed that.

BOP strikes me as terribly strange that way.  They should do what Congress and the courts tell them to do, not be actively involved in determining sentences.  Yet, any time they are instructed by Congress, the courts, or the AG to do something lenient, they do the absolute least possible.  It's like they're trying to get elected on lawnorder or tough on crime.

8 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/us/lori-loughlin-giannulli-college-admissions/index.html

Supposed to be formally charged on Friday.  I can't imagine the money they spent on attys fees.

Not charged, sentenced.  For the tl;dr crowd, five months for him, two for her is the government recommendation.  They have the old curmudgeon judge, so I suspect he'll take the reco or go even a little higher in keeping with what he's done with other $500k defendants.