Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The coxswain is the one person on the boat that doesn’t actually row, right?

My guess is the USC guy asked for a Cocksman portfolio that involved her daughter and she misunderstood.   My guess is that portfolio...while private, already exists.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The coxswain is the one person on the boat that doesn’t actually row, right?

Yup.  I think a coxswain is chosen in one of two ways, either the weakest rower on the "team," or as a tiny person that doesn't take up much space or weight.  Sometimes, I guess they're the same person.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yup.  I think a coxswain is chosen in one of two ways, either the weakest rower on the "team," or as a tiny person that doesn't take up much space or weight.  Sometimes, I guess they're the same person.

Just finished "Boys in the Boat", great book about the 1936 Olympics U.S. men's 8 man rowing team from Univ. of Washington that took gold.  Highly recommend.

The  8 rowers averaged 6'2" in height, about 200 pounds.  Coxswain was about 5'7", 120 #.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Those that have pled and been sentenced with similar "amounts in controversy" have been getting 6-8 months.

If they do go to trial, it will be interesting to see what is the "trial penalty."

Probably severe, IF the prosecution prevails.  But they may not.

Just finished "Boys in the Boat", great book about the 1936 Olympics U.S. men's 8 man rowing team from Univ. of Washington that took gold.  Highly recommend.
The  8 rowers averaged 6'2" in height, about 200 pounds.  Coxswain was about 5'7", 120 #.  

Seems like this is where a midget could get an Olympic gold medal.

7 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I don't understand why any of these parents paid for additional children. After the first one, they could have easily blackmailed the coaches to let in the rest of their kids. In for a penny in for a pound.

Believe it or not,  but some celebrities are not overly bright 

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Ugh looking more and more like my kid wants to go to USC.  I’m shocked, I’m pissed, I didn’t really see it going down like this.  Her mom and I  couldn’t be more out.

stand up for your rights!!!

31 minutes ago, Iceman said:

stand up for your rights!!!

Trying but basically done everything we can do including cut her off if she makes that choice.  It’s a quite a bit more complex than it seems on the surface and I won’t get into all that here.  But we’re pretty disappointed.  Doesn’t help that she didn’t get into UT which was her strong lean before USC said yes.  She seems pretty dug in.  Normally I’d say let her learn for herself a little more than we are, but this is way too big a deal

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Are you paying for it? Or is that part of the complexity?

That’s part of the complexity.  Unfortunately, we can’t just tell her we won’t pay a penny otherwise we would without even blinking.  But we have told her we are only paying the minimum that we are legally obligated to pay if she picks USC.  Which is a far cry from the financial support she would have from us if she picks somewhere else.  There’s a biological father who’s a dumbfuck involved.

Edited by Landomatic

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Ugh looking more and more like my kid wants to go to USC.  I’m shocked, I’m pissed, I didn’t really see it going down like this.  Her mom and I  couldn’t be more out.

Get him one of these and tell him he has to wear it:

8001000129663_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

That’s part of the complexity.  Unfortunately, we can’t just tell her we won’t pay a penny otherwise we would without even blinking.  But we have told her we are only paying the minimum that we are legally obligated to pay if she picks USC.  Which is a far cry from the financial support she would have from us if she picks somewhere else.  There’s a biological father who’s a dumbfuck involved.

I'm confused. If you've already pissed away the cash to get her into her safety school USC, why would you balk at tuition and room and board? Or is that not included in the "athletic scholarship"?

Also, should have staged fake tennis pictures instead of rowing if you wanted to get her into UT.

Edited by Grade of D as in David

11 hours ago, Landomatic said:

What do you mean by “legally obligated”?

14 hours ago, Landomatic said:

all this other stuff be damned, USC is a good school.  you should be proud she got accepted and feel fine about her getting a good education there.  all this other shit doesn’t mean she isn’t going to come out of there well-educated and well-prepared in four years. 

• Like 1

I don’t have kids but I feel for parents and the students have to make these financial decisions that greatly impact their future. And there are a ridiculous number of unknowns that you don’t have with other decisions.

but I don’t think it’s just a matter of education and costs. The contacts/friends you make in college can also be a major component of the students future: career and social wise.  Absolutely someone shouldn’t go to a school just for the social scene but not considering the social aspect is putting blinders on. 

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t have kids but I feel for parents and the students have to make these financial decisions that greatly impact their future. And there are a ridiculous number of unknowns that you don’t have with other decisions.

but I don’t think it’s just a matter of education and costs. The contacts/friends you make in college can also be a major component of the students future: career and social wise.  Absolutely someone shouldn’t go to a school just for the social scene but not considering the social aspect is putting blinders on. 

What do you mean by this?a  Whether you're gonna fit in with a culture on a particular campus?

Edited by Iceman

1 hour ago, futureman said:

all this other stuff be damned, USC is a good school.  you should be proud she got accepted and feel fine about her getting a good education there.  all this other shit doesn’t mean she isn’t going to come out of there well-educated and well-prepared in four years. 

Yeah, I would agree with this under normal circumstances, but there are a ton of other factors at play here.  Honestly, the least of them is probably this whole "varsity blues" piece (so, in retrospect, I probably picked the wrong thread for this).

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

What do you mean by this?a  Whether you're gonna fit in with a culture on a particular campus?

I meant that choosing what school to go to should be more than an economic decision. If that is the case, then each student should live at home and commute to the best nearby school they can get into. 

but I get that everyone is different when it comes to life decisions and money. Some believe that the best car to buy is the 15 year old used car that you can drive for 10 years.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

18 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We told our kids that they could go to a more expensive OOS or private school, but all we’d pay for was the amount it costs to go to an in-state public. We aren’t poor, but our kids are all getting advanced degrees with no student debt.

This is usually the correct answer.  Many states have great, world class universities.  Why go out of state unless there's some very compelling reason, and "because I want to go there", isn't compelling.

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I get that and hope others do as well.

That said, biodad sounds like a glorious POS. 

For reason I too will not disclose here I've had a lot of exposure to USC "grads" in Austin, or which there are way, way too many. They aren't aggy level moronic, but man... They are pretty fucking stupid and uninformed.

with all the people ive ever interacted with in my life,  i cant confidently say the product of one school is consistently better than the other for intelligence

and as much as we hold "our" UT in high esteem, for goddamn sure there is an incredibly high count of dumbasses coming out of that place.  and some people probably lump me in that no doubt

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Counter point..

Know how I know you don't know very many Aggies?

Also, sure there's a goodly amount of stupid graduating from Texas and any school really, but go hit a USC football watch party someday and just listen to the conversations.  You'll see exactly what I'm getting at.

shocked kristen wiig GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, BurntEyes said:

Counter point..

Know how I know you don't know very many Aggies?

Also, sure there's a goodly amount of stupid graduating from Texas and any school really, but go hit a USC football watch party someday and just listen to the conversations.  You'll see exactly what I'm getting at.

Well fuck...she did it...she picked usc.  Huge part of me can't help but wonder where/how we fucked this up.  I mean, I know I should be able to sleep well at night knowing we did everything we could do, but this still sucks.

Biofather has done nothing but fuck up her life (not just my opinion, literally therapists and shit) and he was pushing usc hard.  And that's the route she chose to go.  And it's not like he's from there...dumb fuck lives in Kansas.  No doubt it was all to pry her away from her mother.

Anyway, shocked...pissed..etc.  I've done about all I can do.  Now I probably just need to do my best to console mom.  It is what it is, I guess.

There really needs to be a stepdad thread.

43 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well fuck...she did it...she picked usc.  Huge part of me can't help but wonder where/how we fucked this up.  I mean, I know I should be able to sleep well at night knowing we did everything we could do, but this still sucks.

Biofather has done nothing but fuck up her life (not just my opinion, literally therapists and shit) and he was pushing usc hard.  And that's the route she chose to go.  And it's not like he's from there...dumb fuck lives in Kansas.  No doubt it was all to pry her away from her mother.

Anyway, shocked...pissed..etc.  I've done about all I can do.  Now I probably just need to do my best to console mom.  It is what it is, I guess.

You have failed as a parent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This reminds me of when I told my mom I decided to go to grad school.   She started crying because she thought it would be a financial burden on her.  Took me awhile to get over the resentment I felt over that move.  I never took another dime from her, and made a point to pay her back for my high school car with my first pay check.

I say that not to shine a light on me, but to say be careful. There could be some long term relationship ramifications here. Having to 'console' your wife over this decision is ... not ideal.  Try to be supportive of her life decision; finances can be figured out one way or another.

I have some family connections to USC.  The school has spent a shitload of money and effort in an attempt to bring it to an elite level of education.  Their alumni are diverse, wealthy and supportive. LA is (at least prior to Covid) on fire economically - FANG companies are investing heavily in the area. Shit Google just leased an entire shopping mall in west LA for new office space.

For every dumbshit like Louglin's kid there are probably a dozen more that apply themselves and come away from there ready for success.

Good luck.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You had me up until here.  Ummm...no.  Literally the opposite.  LA and California in general are a fucking cesspool economically 

That is a breathtakingly dumb statement.

Sorry I responded to your post, good luck.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

i understand the feeling and pain, but putting myself in your kids shoes,  SoCal, LA hollywood, the beaches, this place is a goddamn utopia.  If it wasnt overpopulated, ran by the dumbest fucks in the world it could be heaven on earth.  I love it here, I don't even bat an eye at the no place to park anymore and never ending traffic, although covid has opened that up.  The costs to live i guess is the price you pay for the amenities,  Like i said state leadership here can drown on a thousand cocks for all i care.   But i'm also an outdoors surfer hippie type that would be ok for ditching my family living in a vw bus in malibu and surf and eat tacos all day  so your mileage may vary.  Teens and young adults clamor for this shit. 

• Like 1