Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

just downloaded the document to read later. . .

From page 13

Okay, so, who we are-- what we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school …. Every year there are-- is a group of families, especially where I am right now in the Bay Area, Palo Alto, I just flew in. That they want guarantees, they want this thing done. They don’t want to be messing around with this thing. And so they want in at certain schools. So I did 761 what I would call, “side doors.” There is a front door which means you get in on your own. The back door is through institutional advancement, which is ten times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in. Because the back door, when you go through institutional advancement, as you know, everybody’s got a friend of a friend, who knows somebody who knows somebody but there’s no guarantee, they’re just gonna give you a second look. My families want a guarantee. So, if you said to me ‘here’s our grades, here’s our scores, here’s our ability, and we want to go to X school’ and you give me one or two schools, and then I’ll go after those schools and try to get a guarantee done. So that, by the time, the summer of her senior year, before her senior year, hopefully we can have this thing done, so that in the fall, before December 15th, you already knows she’s in. Done. And you make a financial commitment. It depends on what school you want, may determine how much that actually is. But that’s kind of how the the side and back door work

11 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

just downloaded the document to read later. . .

From page 13

Okay, so, who we are-- what we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school …. Every year there are-- is a group of families, especially where I am right now in the Bay Area, Palo Alto, I just flew in. That they want guarantees, they want this thing done. They don’t want to be messing around with this thing. And so they want in at certain schools. So I did 761 what I would call, “side doors.” There is a front door which means you get in on your own. The back door is through institutional advancement, which is ten times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in. Because the back door, when you go through institutional advancement, as you know, everybody’s got a friend of a friend, who knows somebody who knows somebody but there’s no guarantee, they’re just gonna give you a second look. My families want a guarantee. So, if you said to me ‘here’s our grades, here’s our scores, here’s our ability, and we want to go to X school’ and you give me one or two schools, and then I’ll go after those schools and try to get a guarantee done. So that, by the time, the summer of her senior year, before her senior year, hopefully we can have this thing done, so that in the fall, before December 15th, you already knows she’s in. Done. And you make a financial commitment. It depends on what school you want, may determine how much that actually is. But that’s kind of how the the side and back door work

You have to read it in the Ray Liotta voice from Goodfellas. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

look at the indictment or Hayden's post.  all these entities -- public and private -- get federal funds.  tax isn't really the issue.  it is fraudy fraud fraud of various stripes.  

You don’t think tax evasion will come up? Particularly with these coaches receiving tens of millions and not declaring that income, but also any parents who attempted to write them off as donations (I haven’t seen anything on that, but it was an interesting point someone brought up)? 

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

You don’t think tax evasion will come up? Particularly with these coaches receiving tens of millions and not declaring that income, but also any parents who attempted to write them off as donations (I haven’t seen anything on that, but it was an interesting point someone brought up)? 

Specifically said IRS agents were involved in the operation at the feds press conference. Tax evasion is part of it. 

The best part of the Elisabeth Kimmel bit is that she looks like this:
kimmel_1_t300.jpg?8aff03de2423e912a2467e97388a07f5331c05b6
And created a fake pole vaulting profile for her son, including using this photo of an apparently African-America kid:
kimmelpole19.jpg

Looks like a high school kid at the state meet. Those are the same burnt orange custom color standards as at Mike A Myers.

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

The best part of the Elisabeth Kimmel bit is that she looks like this:

kimmel_1_t300.jpg?8aff03de2423e912a2467e

And created a fake pole vaulting profile for her son, including using this photo of an apparently African-America kid:

kimmelpole19.jpg

She's welcome to vault on my pole for her kid's admission to ACC. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I hope someone is digging into the rest of these shitbag parents because it kind of sucks that Lynette and Aunt Becky are getting all the heat.

But it’s fucking hilarious.

I think the terrible production value makes it even funnier.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If true, he ain't good people. Maybe he seems like a cool guy and is willing to help you out in a pinch, but he took bribes to let non-tennis players on the tennis team. And it wasn't just helping out a friend to get their kid into UT. He was meeting people in parking lots to accept $60K in cash.

Seems a bit harmless until you realize that someone else was almost assuredly not admitted to UT because of him. I don't think much of people that have zero integrity.

abigail-fisher-1250x0-c-default.png

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Seems like the FBI devoted a ton of assets to this, makes me wonder how long it will be before they seize all of the university campuses under asset forfeiture.

As much fun as this is, it does kind of beg for a cost-benefit analysis, and also a "don't they have something better to do"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

Even more so when considering these smaller sports probably don’t max out their scholarship numbers anyway and no other kid is getting screwed out of a spot.

Are you kidding?  If it's a women's sport, they are maxing their scholarships.  Texas basically balances Title IX by giving out something like 40 women's rowing scholarships.  I had a girl in my class one year at UT who was on the rowing team.  She told me she was on a full athletic scholarship, and she had never been on a rowing team in high school.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, freyguy said:

How many other universities are now reviewing all prior athlete admittants to their respective schools?

Will be interesting to see how many other college coaches quietly go away over the next 3-6 months.

And these are all sports where there's very little coaching turnover, so it's going to be really obvious.

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As much fun as this is, it does kind of beg for a cost-benefit analysis, and also a "don't they have something better to do"?

There’s not a lot of other law enforcement mechanisms that could handle this type of investigation.  Additionally, this is the kind of white collarish/system rigging corruption the FBI was originally created to investigate. I bet the FBI guys love these type of cases. 

There’s like 35,000 FBI personnel. They can’t all be tracking terrorists, spies, bank robbers, and the mafia.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s not a lot of other law enforcement mechanisms that could handle this type of investigation.  Additionally, this is the kind of white collarish/system rigging corruption the FBI was originally created to investigate. I bet the FBI guys love these type of cases. 

There’s like 35,000 FBI personnel. They can’t all be tracking terrorists, spies, bank robbers, and the mafia.

For once, I'm not bitching about their jurisdiction.  I agree that only the FBI could/should handle this.  But you have 36 parental defendants, most of whom are couples, so you're looking at something like 18-20 kids that benefited from this fraud.  Out of how many college applicants/freshmen?

Maybe we should be grateful that they aren't entrapping terrorists or helping local cops make HUMAN TRAFFICKING!!!11!!! arrests.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntEyes said:

We largely agree, but my instincts tell me if the FBI got involved we are probably  only  seeing the tip of the iceberg. Which is scary since a Longhorn coach was involved.

This is a grave possibility, yes.  And, it does kind of turn a spotlight on "legacy admissions" and similar practices that have a much larger effect than a couple dozen kids every couple of years.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/usc-insists-lori-loughlin-s-daughter-was-admitted-solel-1833246244

LOS ANGELES—Following revelations about the actress’s alleged involvement in a college bribery scandal, University of Southern California officials told reporters Tuesday that Lori Loughlin’s daughter was admitted solely based on her socioeconomic background. “We certainly condemn bribery, but we would also like to acknowledge that USC student Olivia Jade earned her way here just like every other freshman: By having lucked into growing up in the right zip code,” said spokesperson Sara McLaren, explaining that the 19-year-old Bel Air native demonstrated that she was Trojan material by listing an elite all-girls private school with a nearly $40,000-per-year tuition on her Common Application. “Since our founding in 1880, applicants have been assessed purely on strength of social class, and Olivia’s name jumped right off the page. From extracurriculars that are exclusive to the top 1 percent, to college prep classes exclusive to the top 1 percent, to recommendation letters from other members of the top 1 percent, Olivia gained entrance to USC on her economic merit and her economic merit alone.” McLaren added that the YouTube personality also appealed to admissions officers by offering a diversity in perspective to her freshman class with her experiences of growing up a celebrity.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Are you kidding?  If it's a women's sport, they are maxing their scholarships.  Texas basically balances Title IX by giving out something like 40 women's rowing scholarships.  I had a girl in my class one year at UT who was on the rowing team.  She told me she was on a full athletic scholarship, and she had never been on a rowing team in high school.  

Not to mention that some of the smaller sports don't even get full schollys for each kid. Wrestling, for example, only gets 9.9 scholarships to divide amongst the whole team. Pretty sure baseball is similar.

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

Seeing a lot of these takes.  I guess this is why we're usually pretty soft on white collar criminals. I mean, after all, who gives a fuck. Doesn't affect me and mine.

Yep.  I give a huge fuck, because this is just an example in our tolerance of the swamp. 

Fuck, people are assholes. 

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Yep.  I give a huge fuck, because this is just an example in our tolerance of the swamp. 

Fuck, people are assholes. 

No one says we should tolerate it, but is it really necessary to apply 300 federal agents and how many dollars to pursue it?  And don't forget eight feebs to arrest the fucking tennis coach at 6 AM.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

https://entertainment.theonion.com/usc-insists-lori-loughlin-s-daughter-was-admitted-solel-1833246244

LOS ANGELES—Following revelations about the actress’s alleged involvement in a college bribery scandal, University of Southern California officials told reporters Tuesday that Lori Loughlin’s daughter was admitted solely based on her socioeconomic background. “We certainly condemn bribery, but we would also like to acknowledge that USC student Olivia Jade earned her way here just like every other freshman: By having lucked into growing up in the right zip code,” said spokesperson Sara McLaren, explaining that the 19-year-old Bel Air native demonstrated that she was Trojan material by listing an elite all-girls private school with a nearly $40,000-per-year tuition on her Common Application. “Since our founding in 1880, applicants have been assessed purely on strength of social class, and Olivia’s name jumped right off the page. From extracurriculars that are exclusive to the top 1 percent, to college prep classes exclusive to the top 1 percent, to recommendation letters from other members of the top 1 percent, Olivia gained entrance to USC on her economic merit and her economic merit alone.” McLaren added that the YouTube personality also appealed to admissions officers by offering a diversity in perspective to her freshman class with her experiences of growing up a celebrity.

What does it mean “economic merit?”  Certainly not that she’s poor.  Are they saying she got in, in part because she’s rich?

also if she so academically qualified why was mom trying so desperately to have her NOT end up at ASU?

Edited by Lhorn

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

What does it mean “economic merit?”  Certainly not that she’s poor.  Are they saying she got in, in part because she’s rich?

also if she so academically qualified why was mom trying so desperately to have her NOT end up at ASU?

But she is an INFLUENCER!!!!11!!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

also if she so academically qualified why was mom trying so desperately to have her NOT go to ASU?

It’s from the Onion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Not sure how I got quoted for that, but yeah... There is no way there are any women's sports leaving scholarships on the table. 

USC Insists Lori Loughlin’s Daughter Was Admitted Solely Based On Socioeconomic Background

hggpioekkeha9oqhju6o.jpg

I know this is an Onion article, but it's pretty damn spot on when it comes to SC
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

apply 300 federal agents 

Mild semantics here but that’s how many agents were deployed for the simultaneous nationwide round up.  The number of agents assigned to the investigation was probably much less.  But even if it was 300 agents, that’s still less than 1% of the FBI.