Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

Las Vegas Review Journal:

One of the nearly 50 people named Tuesday in the national college bribery scandal was a San Diego media executive who recently relocated to Las Vegas.

Elisabeth Meyer Kimmel, 54, is accused of buying two of her children into elite schools on either side of the country: her daughter, Katharine, into Georgetown University in 2013 and her son Thomas into University of Southern California last fall.

Court records allege she paid $275,000 for the Georgetown arrangements through a family foundation and $200,000 for the USC arrangements. She faces charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Nothing in the records indicated that Kimmel’s children knew about her alleged actions.

Kimmel is the owner and president of Midwest Television Inc., based out of Champaign, Illinois, records show. The company previously owned KFMB-TV, a CBS-affiliated station in San Diego, as well as two San Diego radio stations. But in 2017, she sold them for $325 million to TEGNA Inc., a publicly traded broadcast company and spinoff of Gannet.

The TV station’s current news director declined to comment Tuesday. A story about the scandal on the station’s CBS 8 website noted that Kimmel “owned KFMB Stations for decades.”

Katharine and Thomas Kimmel both attended The Bishop’s School, a private, Episcopal college preparatory school in La Jolla, California, where the family previously lived.

Katharine Kimmel was a decorated field hockey player. Thomas Kimmel in 2016 traveled with his mother to Washington, D.C., where they met with San Diego’s congressional representatives and lobbied on behalf of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, according to a news post from the high school.

Late last year, Kimmel and her husband, Gregory, moved into a penthouse in Turnberry Towers Las Vegas, located just east of the Strip, records show. A call to the residence by a gate attendant Tuesday was not answered.

The family does not appear to have any immediate ties to Jimmy Kimmel, the late-night television host who was raised in Las Vegas and attended Clark High School.

An affidavit in support of a criminal complaint, unsealed Tuesday, alleges that Elisabeth Kimmel “participated in the college recruitment scheme by conspiring to use bribery to facilitate her daughter’s admission to Georgetown as a purported tennis recruit, and her son’s admission to USC as a purported track recruit,”

Her daughter graduated from Georgetown in 2017 but was never a member of the tennis team, according to the document.

Her son — who is not on the USC track team — received an email from an adviser ahead of the fall 2018 semester, asking about scheduling times for USC track practice. He assumed it was a mistake and was generally “unaware of the circumstances surrounding his admission to USC,” according to the affidavit.

Officials at USC did not respond to a request for comment as to whether the son’s enrollment status would change as a result of his mother’s charges.

But a general statement issued Tuesday afternoon said USC is aware of the “wide-ranging criminal investigation” and noted that the university “is reviewing its admissions processes broadly to ensure that such actions do not occur going forward.”

The daughter currently works as an associate at Armory Capital LLC, a private equity firm based in Illinois, according to her LinkedIn profile. She did not immediately respond to a LinkedIn message about the case.

Gordon Ernst, the former Georgetown tennis coach accused of helping facilitate her admission to the university, was indicted Tuesday.

Elisabeth Kimmel is an alumna of Stanford University and Harvard University, where she earned her bachelor’s degree and law degree, respectively, according to a Bloomberg executive profile.

She currently serves as a director for First Busey Corp., an Illinois company that operates Busey Bank. Her father, August C. Meyer, Jr., is a board member at the same company. He previously owned Midwest Television.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Rachel Crosby at rcrosby@reviewjournal.com or 702-477-3801. Follow @rachelacrosby on Twitter.

56 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

FBI is all about optics. They've taken their share of Ls in the public eye recently so this a nice story we can all enjoy about them busting rich assholes.

Rather this than burning down buildings full of children

I thought that was ATF.

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No one says we should tolerate it, but is it really necessary to apply 300 federal agents and how many dollars to pursue it?  And don't forget eight feebs to arrest the fucking tennis coach at 6 AM.

the FBI needed a win.  this was their McNeese State.  

• Like 3

Didn't all of this start because the feds we're already listening to the medical CEO for fraud with CMS. This came up in a call about his son getting into Penn so they followed it. I think it involved the now Celtics assistant coach.

I also heard there are a lot more kids that used these services - maybe around 800

This will be interesting to see what schools do with kids currently enrolled.

This is what I don't get. 325 million in the bank... You scratch a check for 10 million for the new wing of the children's hospital or whatever and the next 4 generations of your family get into USC without anyone batting an eye. But you have to go through some track bullshit that your kid doesn't even know about? 
And she went to Stanford and Harvard. She's moneyed. She's blue blood. She should know how this works.
But this isn't how it works. This isn't how any of this works. 
I'm with you, makes no sense for some of these people.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The entire thing began when the FBI was tipped off that this guy made all-Pac-12 pole vaulting team:

giphy.gif

This has got to be the best fucking thread in a few months.  I've been giving out likes like USC has been dishing out athletic admissions to amputees.
Got damn best birthday present since my wife rented me that 80 year old one-eyed hooker a few years back!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Is it still the case that you can write a check and get your kid into an elite school? I heard that it’s not like it used to be. I also don’t have 350 million, so that do I know?

According to The Atlantic and data released in Harvard's discrimination case, as much as 14% of Harvard's enrollment is "legacy admissions."  https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2019/03/college-admissions-scandal-fbi-targets-wealthy-parents/584695/

Today, legacy students account for an estimated 14 percent of Harvard’s undergraduate population, and applicants who enjoy such alumni connections are accepted at five times the rate of their nonlegacy peers (a nearly 34 percent acceptance rate, versus just under 6 percent for those lacking connections). Surely not all of those legacies’ families made huge donations to the school, but students with a family history at an elite institution are likely to come from wealthy backgrounds that confer various other advantages.

It’s unclear how Harvard’s legacy numbers stack up against those at other elite colleges—the Harvard data were publicized because of the affirmative-action lawsuit—but a separate national survey in 2018 found that nearly half of private higher-education institutions consider legacy status in acceptance decisions. While colleges err on the side of keeping mum about their practices, they tend to acknowledge that such applicants have at least a slight advantage.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

What does it mean “economic merit?”  Certainly not that she’s poor.  Are they saying she got in, in part because she’s rich?

also if she so academically qualified why was mom trying so desperately to have her NOT end up at ASU?

This thread just keeps delivering.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Deej said:

It takes eight agents to arrest a tennis coach?

(Associated Press) Leaked photos show federal agents preparing for the early morning arrest of University of Texas Tennis Coach Michael Center:

ball-boys-and-girls-lining-up-with-line-

and then the carrying out, without incident, of the accused coach's detainment:

badminton-bilinge-16-728.jpg?cb=12593150

Edited by TexLonghorn
Yes, I know that one's badminton... Just go with it...
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, msbesq said:

Elisabeth Kimmel of Las Vegas, possibly a relative of Jimmy by blood or marriage, since he grew up there. Also Gordon Caplan, the Co-chair of one of the biggest lawfirms in the country. This is fantastic schadenfreude.

Fuck Jimmy Kimmel and his relatives.  The CEO of the largest bond mutual fund company in America, who helped ouster the founder/Chairman/CEO and subsequent CEO is implicated.  Jimmy Kimmel’s possible family is puppynuts here 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For once, I'm not bitching about their jurisdiction.  I agree that only the FBI could/should handle this.  But you have 36 parental defendants, most of whom are couples, so you're looking at something like 18-20 kids that benefited from this fraud.  Out of how many college applicants/freshmen?

Maybe we should be grateful that they aren't entrapping terrorists or helping local cops make HUMAN TRAFFICKING!!!11!!! arrests.

meh, after manafort got 47 months and all the stories of years for illegal voting or just weed came out, if some rich people get fucked like us normal folk, then so be it. equal justice for all.

Just received this email

088a0307-6190-4ba2-954b-53d8c8f15d89.jpg

To the Campus Community:

Earlier today, I was shocked and angered to learn that dozens of individuals have been charged by the U.S. Department of Justice with paying or accepting bribes in exchange for admission to several top American universities, including UCLA.

UCLA’s men’s soccer head coach, Jorge Salcedo, was named in the indictment and immediately placed on leave pending a review by the university. An employee of Geffen Academy was also named in the indictment, but not in connection with her duties at UCLA, and similarly placed on leave.

Today’s indictment makes clear that UCLA, like the other universities, was the victim of an alleged crime. The indictment also asserts that the individuals accused of these crimes worked to conceal their actions from UCLA and the other universities. We will fully cooperate with federal authorities as this case moves forward. We will also perform a detailed internal review to ensure proper controls are in place to prevent any repeat of these actions in the future.

As a public university, UCLA is absolutely committed to ensuring that every applicant is considered purely on their merits without any consideration of financial, political or other benefits to the university, in keeping with policy set by the University of California Board of Regents. UCLA cannot and will not tolerate anything less.

Honesty, integrity and fairness are core values at UCLA and admission to UCLA is a notable accomplishment that cannot be bought by any individual, no matter how wealthy, prominent or powerful. Once here, our students work extraordinarily hard to fulfill the highest standards of academic and athletic excellence.

We remain absolutely committed to an institution that values inclusion, diversity, merit and accomplishment, without exception. We owe that to everyone who shares our dedication to producing the world-class research, teaching and service that have brought this community so much pride.

Sincerely,
Gene D. Block
Chancellor

This email was sent to jack@ass.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 
UCLA Athletics - Wooden Athletic Fund · PO Box 24044 · Los Angeles, CA 90024-0044 · USA 

open.php?u=263adf140ec2a325c9ac329d4&id=c2c4f32ff9&e=cf47c40deb

Got the victim card down pat.

5 hours ago, Deej said:

It takes eight agents to arrest a tennis coach?

I wish this happened back in my day as one of the rec staff that checked IDs at the courts. Would be glorious to see this in person. 8 guys pull up for an early morning doubles match. Sweatpants on, tennis bags on shoulders, just milling around trying to look inconspicuous in the lobby. Idle chit-chat like a bad ideas jeans skit until Centers strolls in and then all hell breaks loose. Flipping over logos on their jackets that say FBI, yanking shotguns out of the bags and slamming coach on the ground. Then probably Tommy Lee Jones walks in with an egg mc muffin and explains how they tracked him down. And then I would kick everyone out because courts are reserved for students and faculty only.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If the current students aren't indicted, do they get kicked out of school?  I bet at the private schools at least the answer is yes.

what if they've made the grades since admittance?