Golden Age of TV Mount Rushmore

DCA_HORN

mad men - breaking bad - the wire - the west wing

(lost, sopranos were hurt by weak seasons/endings, and i need game of thrones to conclude before eligible)

simpsons - seinfeld - larry sanders - 30 rock

(i was too young to properly appreciate cheers in real time, parks and rec was close, the office went too long, veep could still sneak in)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

mad men - breaking bad - the wire - the west wing

(lost, sopranos were hurt by weak seasons/endings, and i need game of thrones to conclude before eligible)

simpsons - seinfeld - larry sanders - 30 rock

(i was too young to properly appreciate cheers in real time, parks and rec was close, the office went too long, veep could still sneak in)

Larry Sanders. Great call. Shandling was genius.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

For comedies in MY lifetime:

Seinfeld

Cheers

Night Court

Newhart (if nothing else for the finale as mentioned above)

Honorable mention to Threes Company because of Crissy

None of those hold up, except Seinfeld.  

In fact, most sitcoms don’t hold up years later.  One exception I can think of is “Green Acres.”  That shit is hilarious, to this day.  

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

In fact, most sitcoms don’t hold up years later.  One exception I can think of is “Green Acres.”  That shit is hilarious, to this day.  

Green Acres is the greatest exercise in absurdism, ever.

Cheers holds up. 

Edited by Deej

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Good sitcoms do hold up over time. Funny is funny.  MASH, WKRP,  Barney Miller, Cheers, All In the Family, The Jeffersons, Andy Griffith, and Green Acres (for damn sure), just to name a few. They all hold up.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Good sitcoms do hold up over time. Funny is funny.  MASH, WKRP,  Barney Miller, Cheers, All In the Family, The Jeffersons, Andy Griffith, and Green Acres (for damn sure), just to name a few. They all hold up.

Cheers, MASH and Seinfeld are all timers for a reason. Their timeless.

3 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Cheers, MASH and Seinfeld are all timers for a reason. Their timeless.

The others are funny as shit as well, your results may vary of course.  I don't buy the premise about sitcoms not aging well.  That's like saying movies or plays don't age well IMO.

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The others are funny as shit as well, your results may vary of course.  I don't buy the premise about sitcoms not aging well.  That's like saying movies or plays don't age well IMO.

a lot of comedy movies don't age well, because comedy changes through generations, and almost all comedies are set in "present day" (whereas dramas are often period pieces, like the godfather - shot in the 70's but set in the 40's - which makes them a little more likely to be timeless).

i've run through some old cheers episodes recently and it holds up just fine.  surprisingly well actually.

• Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

a lot of comedy movies don't age well, because comedy changes through generations, and almost all comedies are set in "present day" (whereas dramas are often period pieces, like the godfather - shot in the 70's but set in the 40's - which makes them a little more likely to be timeless).

i've run through some old cheers episodes recently and it holds up just fine.  surprisingly well actually.

True, but good, well written comedy is always funny. Barney Miller, All In The Family are early to mid 70's all the way and are still damned funny (great writing). 

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, but I always thought Niles was the funny one.  He was Barney to Kelseys Andy Griffith straight man.

Amazing they found someone like DHP that could nail the role of his brother. Perfect casting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Amazing they found someone like DHP that could nail the role of his brother. Perfect casting.

i read this story a long long time ago, so i'm sure i'm confusing it, but one of the creators (peter casey maybe) said they walked into their meeting with nbc and basically demanded the show be david hyde-pierce, john mahoney, jane leeves, and peri gilpin, or they weren't interested in even doing it.

when he said it, he assumed he would get one, maybe two of the actors he wanted, but somehow they got them all and he was shocked, because that never, ever happens.

My top 5 comedies:

Seinfeld - gold standard of comedy. A timeless comedy

Community- this show is like crack to me, I can watch it any time. Even the later seasons that got panned were pretty good, but 1-3 and 5 are phenomenal.

Simpsons - the first ~10 seasons are glorious. There are a few good episodes here and there after that though, it's not as horrible as people make it out

Curb Your Enthusiasm - some of the most original comedy in history. I love the themes and that persist through seasons and how they work the jokes into the story. As I get older, I definitely empathize with Larry more and more.

South Park - like the simpsons, this show has hit on so many important issues while staying funny and relevant. The 7 day production schedule they use for every show is amazing

Next ones kind of in order:
Rick and Morty - will likely crack the top 5 in a few seasons
Futurama - fucking great show, probably deserves top 5 anyways
Sunny in Philadelphia
Newsradio
Chapelle Show - too short :(
Frasier
Arrested Development
The office
Parks and Rec
Archer
Better Off Ted (not really, it needed more than 2 seasons, but was great while it lasted and I wanted to mention it in case anyone hasn't seen it)
Nathan for You - not really, but I love that show