Beto 2020

bad_teammate

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Read the first part of the sentence.  No, I would rather he had an honest position that structured some parameters around the second amendment.  In terms of just winning the election, of course misrepresentation is often a method of winning an election.  Doesn't mean that's a solution -- except to the idea of how he wins.

Agreed.

Beto's organization and strategy for the D primary was a mess from the start. Looking back on it now, it's almost like the Senate race just (understandably) gassed him. He put so much energy into that and was almost in a no-win situation when he decided to run for President. Americans just weren't ready to jump in on a guy that lost a very public race to Ted Cruz, even if it was a historic and generally successful campaign for Texas Dems. 

Beto post-El Paso really seemed to find a sense of purpose. If he truly doesn't run for elected office again, I hope he keeps up the activism and stays in the public spotlight. He's a good man that can create positive change. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t agree with the middle paragraph. Obama effectively won and governed without access media coordination. Shit, Trump’s digital operation is built on lessons learned from Obama’s campaigns. You can tell the media fuck you if you can generate your own news, because covering news is something they are required to do. Obama and Trump generated their own news.  

Beto couldn’t. He tried, but his many appeals seemed desperate and grasping or in the case of the apology tour, boring and self-indulgent. He got exactly the coverage he earned.

He seems to have not learned anything from the Senate campaign. After the loss to Ted Cruz He needed to either get his old seat in Congress back or run for Senate or Gov or (better yet) Land Commissioner.

He had so much promise. I have no idea why he did this. It’s a shame.

the media was not kind to him and he was their darling at the time he announced.  what do you make of that?

Trump was never going to get the media.

Obama was the underdog to Hillary.

Beto was oddly an upstart favorite of the media and he refused to sit with them and talk.  They wanted that.  He refused.  They turned on him.

I agree he got the coverage he deserved, but that's because he refused to take what they were offering.  at least that's my view.

I think Beto's big mistake was thinking that in a field with Bernie he could somehow radlib his way to the kind of grassroots and small donor support needed to have a shot.  A better strategy would have been to try to out-mayonnaise Mayor Pete in pursuit of the favor of big/wealthy donors and cable news coverage.  He never really had a shot to be the populist contender for the nomination but I think he could have assumed the role of emergency Biden replacement that Mayor Pete has now taken.

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Ok cool hookem.
I went in your moms backdoor anoche.
Spanish for beto

Dupe = Duplicate.

My mom has been dead for 29 years, so I am imagine you were getting a little dusty in there. 

Cheers!

Edited by washparkhorn
stay stabby, slag

• 7 months later...

My daughter is double majoring in Political Science and Computer Engineering and I sent her the announcement about Beto.

Her reply?

“Auburn could never. We’d get Roy Moore or some shit.”

Sometimes your kids make you so proud you could cry.

PS - What’s a Demi thread?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

My daughter is double majoring in Political Science and Computer Engineering and I sent her the announcement about Beto.

Her reply?

He’s suggesting you’re about to be all over Instagram in high heels and skimpy dresses trying to be fabulous and get Beto’s attention. It’s a 20 something girl thing. 

Her reply?

I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you.

He’s suggesting you’re about to be all over Instagram in high heels and skimpy dresses trying to be fabulous and get Beto’s attention. It’s a 20 something girl thing. 

Oh lol.

And, nah, I ain’t got that kind of time. Or energy. My pharma rep days are long gone.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We changing this to Beto 2022? Sure seems like he’s been attacking Hot Wheels a lot this week.

There was a quote on NPR yesterday where he didn't deny that he might run for Governor. So he's running for Governor. 

Don Quixote had a better shot against his windmills. 

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There was a quote on NPR yesterday where he didn't deny that he might run for Governor. So he's running for Governor. 

Sigh.  I don't know what Beto should do.  I think the gun comments, as much as I agreed with them, will fuck him forever in Texas now.  

• Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Agreed he's unlikely to win, but I like forcing hot wheels to earn it. Plus it will help further build the Texas Democratic party. 

Edited by Orale
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

yeah, as shitty as abbott is there's no way he's less popular than cruz.

Would really and truly enjoy Allen West and Ken Paxton trying to primary Abbott from the farrrrrrrrrrrrr right. 

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Beto should go after Danny Goeb’s spot. 

Collier is running again, I think.

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Blacks, Mexicans, and women don't care about guns.

We'll be fine.

Yeah.....no.

You're missing the huge swath of Texas hispanics, especially in S. Texas, who are gun owners, user, hunters, etc.  Don't forget rural black folks (often referred to as "country") who are similar.  And shit, my wife -- who is pretty damned liberal - just today was pushing back against the hardcore "anti-gun" narrative that is popping up in Austin after the horrific murder of the doctor this week.

This is still Texas.  There are a shitload of "liberals" who are on the pro side of gun ownership.*  Mistaking Texas liberals, or gettable Texas liberal/dem voters, for urban northeast liberals, is a huge fucking mistake the Texas Dem party is making.  Stop listening to Colbert (don't get me wrong, I love him, and we are pretty simpatico on such things).  Texas Dems are not NYC Dems.  And if we keep appealing to them like NYC Dems, we will keep losing.

* Shit, I use this as a counterpoint to the moronic Trumpkins who keep talking about "yeah, the storm is comin', and we'll shoot all them libs!"  They have the same idiotic misconception - that "liberal" voters in Texas are all the Obama pajama boy, and we don't know the bang end of a gun from the stock.  Fuck around and find out.  Some of the most hardcore Dem voters and supporters I know own an arsenal and are skilled with every boomstick in it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

* Shit, I use this as a counterpoint to the moronic Trumpkins who keep talking about "yeah, the storm is comin', and we'll shoot all them libs!"  They have the same idiotic misconception - that "liberal" voters in Texas are all the Obama pajama boy, and we don't know the bang end of a gun from the stock.  Fuck around and find out.  Some of the most hardcore Dem voters and supporters I know own an arsenal and are skilled with every boomstick in it.

tenor.gif?itemid=17346017

You guys are arguing that I said "Zero black people or Hispanics care about guns". It's not a big issue with them and they are FAR more in favor of gun control measures than white people.

It's the stats.

Around seven-in-ten Hispanic voters (68%) say gun laws should be stricter than they are today, while 24% say current gun laws are about right. Only 7% say gun laws should be less strict. 

PH-2014-10-latino-voters-2014-midterm-election-02-02.png

ft_2020.02.20_latinovoters_04.png

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You guys are arguing that I said "Zero black people or Hispanics care about guns". It's not a big issue with them and they are FAR more in favor of gun control measures than white people.

It's the stats.

Around seven-in-ten Hispanic voters (68%) say gun laws should be stricter than they are today, while 24% say current gun laws are about right. Only 7% say gun laws should be less strict. 

To Brisket's point...this is a national poll. I'd be interested to see the same poll of "Texas Hispanics south of I-10". If you want to win as a D in Texas, you can't rely on polls of National Hispanics/Latinos. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

To Brisket's point...this is a national poll. I'd be interested to see the same poll of "Texas Hispanics south of I-10". If you want to win as a D in Texas, you can't rely on polls of National Hispanics/Latinos. 

This isn't south of I-10, but Texas Latinos favor stricter gun laws... by a lot.

At 80%, the vast majority of Texas Latinos surveyed agreed that stricter gun laws are necessary, with only 5% saying they felt gun laws should be less restrictive. Additionally, 60% believe the NRA yields too much influence on US gun policy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Beto should go after Danny Goeb’s spot. 

I really like the idea of Beto hammering away at Abbott, and I think he could do some damage, given that Abbott didn't exactly run away from Lupe in the last election, and he would force some Republican money to be spent away from down-ballot races.

But I wouldn't mind him hammering away at Goeb either, or Paxton for that matter.  Paxton is in a world of legal shit, and he really showed his ass with the Presidential election.

I wouldn't want Beto going up against George P. Bush, should Bush unseat one of those three in a primary.  Bush doesn't have enough of a presence in the mind of the Texas public, other than being a Bush, to really dig into.

One problem is that if Beto goes up against Abbot, Goeb, or Paxton, none of those three will set foot upon a debate stage with him.  None of them want to be Perdue to Beto's Ossoff.

But would like to see Beto going for a top state spot, since he would really help down ballot races.

19 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I like Greg Abbott more than most people like Greg Abbott, and certainly more than I like Ted Cruz.

And I hate Greg Abbott.

Beto got beat by the biggest asshole in the history of Texas.  He's not going to win statewide against your run of the mill asshole.

Goeb's an even bigger asshole than Rafael.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's the stats.

I also think gun laws should be more strict. We need to take a serious look at how simple they are to acquire. 

Now show me that part where they’re cool with someone coming and removing particular guns from them. Because I’m pretty fucking sure that’s going to be an issue with lots, and lots of folks of all colors. 

Women by and large don’t give a shit about protecting gun laws when their babies continue to get shot in schools. 
Hispanics aren’t tripping over themselves to identify with NRA gun nuts though they hunt just as much in south Texas. Those in the metros by and large don’t give a shit. Black people aren’t allowed to open carry without shutting down half the city. Why Republicans are the only people to attack perceived strengths is stupid. Texas is nowhere near the free range gun factory this board makes it out to be because some Democrats on this board shoot guns. So the fuck what.

He can campaign with it as a part of his message, doesn’t need to make it THE message. Attacking him as if it’s an all or nothing door to door roundup is Republican scare lingering.

He will have to defend himself much more eloquently about running for 3 positions in 4 years.

Edited by StassneyHorn

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Now show me that part where they’re cool with someone coming and removing particular guns from them. Because I’m pretty fucking sure that’s going to be an issue with lots, and lots of folks of all colors. 

Are you a gun owner? Do you own ARs or AKs? Do you know people who do?

I am someone who owns many AR-15s who would be just fine with selling them back. I know others. I know many who would talk a lot and then give them up. I know very few I believe would truly go rogue. Obviously this isn't data, but you don't have any either (a fact that you are attempting to paper over with heightened emotional language).

14 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Texas is nowhere near the free range gun factory this board makes it out to be because some Democrats on this board shoot guns.

I think many make it out to be a free range gun factory because they themselves aren't part of Texas's gun culture and are operating off of impressions rather than experiences.

Gun folks understand how much they are outnumbered, even in Texas.

The best thing Beto could do would be to get a Trumper to primary Abbott for being a RINO or run as a Patriot Party candidate. Only chance he has to win. Abbott is a dick but he's nowhere as hated as Cruz and Cruz beat Beto before the hell yeah imma take your guns comment. Beto will lose by 10+.

• Hook 'Em 1