Beto 2020

bad_teammate

43 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm a big Beto fan, but I don't think he's ready for President.

This is only a legitimate beef if you thought Obama wasn’t ready to be President.  I actually think Beto has more experience as a law maker than Obama had when he first ran. 

I happen to be one of those people that felt Obama wasn’t ready at the time but in retrospect he didn’t do too bad considering the situation he was handed. 

No amount of experience can prepare someone to be POTUS.  It’s the most difficult job in the world but if you can get a good person in it for the right reasons, it can compensate for some shortcomings.  And let’s not forget he can reach out to Obama for any on the job training he might need.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, horncyclist said:

Yeah, he's running for president and has a damn good shot. 

You're going to hear a lot of the historical comparison to Lincoln running for-- and winning -- a presidential race after losing a Senate bid two years earlier. Even more interesting, Lincoln's opponent was the same as in his Senate race, Stephen Douglas. I wouldn't be surprised to see that play out again with Ted Cruz rising to the top when the Dotard has to resign in a few months. One difference, Lincoln was a one-term former congressman, Beto had three. 

You're also going to hear a lot from the left about the fact that he's a spoiled rich kid who married into an even wealthier family and is the embodiment of privilege.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

LOL. You’re probably one of those guys claiming “he’s pretending to be a Mexican to win!” 

of course he is.  he's said as much before.  sack and badmofo are the two leaders of this genius train of thought 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

You're also going to hear a lot from the left about the fact that he's a spoiled rich kid who married into an even wealthier family and is the embodiment of privilege.

You will also hear the same thing from the Right. Well, we are already hearing this from the Right.

I mean, he’s the only candidate a far right PAC is already running add against in Iowa.

He may not win the primaries and get top of the ticket but he’s 100% the candidate the GOP apparatus fears the most.

Be interesting to see how much money he raises in the first 24-48 hours.

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

I mean, he’s the only candidate a far right PAC is already running add against in Iowa.

He may not win the primaries and get top of the ticket but he’s 100% the candidate the GOP apparatus fears the most.

I got $20 on it! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is only a legitimate beef if you thought Obama wasn’t ready to be President.

I didn't. I was behind McCain until he picked Caribou Barbie for Veep. 

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Cruz beat Beto by 220,000ish votes. I bet between Nov 2018 and Nov 2020 there's gonna be a lot of olds die off and a lot of new Texans moving here from other places. In short, I think it could be reeeeeeal close. 

It’s awkward how often I find myself rooting for death. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

They fear Joe Biden the most.

Fortunately for them, he probably won't make it to the general.

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Cruz beat Beto by 220,000ish votes. I bet between Nov 2018 and Nov 2020 there's gonna be a lot of olds die off and a lot of new Texans moving here from other places. In short, I think it could be reeeeeeal close. 

13 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Lol no.  The Dems could run a God/Jesus ticket and Trump is still gonna win Texas.

Pescado is right. 220k will be made up by old white deaths and young hispanics turning voting age. This is pretty much the nightmare scenario for the Republican party. 

Honestly if Beto ran a more strategic campaign (less time on rural towns/more effective tv ad) he probably would have beat Cruz.

Presidential election year is a different animal than a midterm. Dems best shot at winning Texas is trump continuing to trump. Add a Beto type on the ticket somewhere and it gets interesting. 

You would have to be a real sack of shit to vote for trump over anybody, let alone Beto. Unfortunately there are a lot of sacks of shit out there.

• Like 1

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

Presidential election year is a different animal than a midterm. Dems best shot at winning Texas is trump continuing to trump. Add a Beto type on the ticket somewhere and it gets interesting. 

You would have to be a real sack of shit to vote for trump over anybody, let alone Beto. Unfortunately there are a lot of sacks of shit out there.

Got to keep everyone that showed up at midterms and still lost energized.  That’s what I see the key to Texas being. 

Beto needs to change his message for the Presidential race. The "bringing Democrats and Republicans together" horseshit that most of Texans ate up last year will not work at the national level. I know he's strong re: the border, but what will his other ideas/positions be? He looked like a god compared to Ted Cruz, but once the novelty of actually running wears off he'll have to up his game significantly to gain support from national D voters. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Beto needs to change his message for the Presidential race. The "bringing Democrats and Republicans together" horseshit that most of Texans ate up last year will not work at the national level. I know he's strong re: the border, but what will his other ideas/positions be? He looked like a god compared to Ted Cruz, but once the novelty of actually running wears off he'll have to up his game significantly to gain support from national D voters. 

I agree he has no real signature issue.  I bet that is what he spent he vision quest the last few months strategizing on.  I disagree about throwing away bipartisanship.  More people identify as independent now than in a long time.  They’ll eat that up after the present abortion.  It didn’t get the job done in Texas because we have too many straight ticket Rs here.  In more tossup states it’ll work better. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This. I want substance. If I wanted bipartisan ra-ra bullshit, there’s Biden 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They fear Joe Biden the most.

Yeah, I think they want Joe Biden.  He’s a great juxtaposition for Trump.  

Trump be like, “If it wasn’t for career ineffective politicians like Joe Biden, I’d never be president. He’s part of the old guard establishment I was elected to burn down. Do you really want to go back to that?”

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I agree he has no real signature issue.  I bet that is what he spent he vision quest the last few months strategizing on.  I disagree about throwing away bipartisanship.  More people identify as independent now than in a long time.  They’ll eat that up after the present abortion.  It didn’t get the job done in Texas because we have too many straight ticket Rs here.  In more tossup states it’ll work better. 

Texas Ds (including myself) tolerated the bipartisan strategy vs. Cruz.  National Democrats will hate it unless he brings great ideas/policies to the table. Liberals don't want to focus on bipartisanship in this climate. They want big policy changes. 

Texas Ds (including myself) tolerated the bipartisan strategy vs. Cruz.  National Democrats will hate it unless he brings great ideas/policies to the table. Liberals don't want to focus on bipartisanship in this climate. They want big policy changes. 

Anyone who wants bi-partisanship is fucking retarded.

Rs have shown they will not play by normal standards and block any legislation that makes Ds look good even if it is a R policy position.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. I want substance. If I wanted bipartisan ra-ra bullshit, there’s Biden 

Play his flag kneeler speech and swoon.  As long as he can give decisive coherent answers and transcend party politics, he’s golden.

Beto should just copy/paste Hillary’s 2016 platform no one gave a flying fuck about for “substance”.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, I think they want Joe Biden.  He’s a great juxtaposition for Trump.  

Trump be like, “If it wasn’t for career ineffective politicians like Joe Biden, I’d never be president. He’s part of the old guard establishment I was elected to burn down. Do you really want to go back to that?”

I disagree completely. I think they think Joe Biden is the only one who won't take Donald Trump's shit like a little pussy lib.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Play his flag kneeler speech and swoon.  As long as he can give decisive coherent answers and transcend party politics, he’s golden.

Beto should just copy/paste Hillary’s 2016 platform no one gave a flying fuck about for “substance”.

Beto 11/2018 to now hasn’t impressed me. His “I don’t know” about addressing g Visa overstay was truly inspiring.  TRULY. 

• Like 1

SO the "New Democrat Coalition" caucus let him in, which describes themselves as moderate and balanced budgets and pro-growth (their words, not mine).  But the Congressional Hispanic Caucus wouldn't let him in despite his cool name and El Paso roots?  Got it, no facts from now on.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

SO the "New Democrat Coalition" caucus let him in, which describes themselves as moderate and balanced budgets and pro-growth (their words, not mine).  But the Congressional Hispanic Caucus wouldn't let him in despite his cool name and El Paso roots?  Got it, no facts from now on.  

I think your repeated take that at you are the only one here with any insight into Robert HUSSEIN O’Rourke’s past and we know of no facts is a bit 14 year oldish.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Beto 11/2018 to now hasn’t impressed me. His “I don’t know” about addressing g Visa overstay was truly inspiring.  TRULY. 

Well, I think he was intentionally laying low so he could burst on the scene now.  Beto isn’t a wonk, he shouldn’t try to be but I think he’ll have the important shit figured out soon enough. We’ll see.  

So no talking about his time in Congress?  Got it.  What is fair game in your opinion.  I mean, we certainly can't discuss the myriad accomplishments of Julian Castro, I guess.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

So no talking about his time in Congress?  Got it.  What is fair game in your opinion.  I mean, we certainly can't discuss the myriad accomplishments of Julian Castro, I guess.  

Talk about it all you want.  We all care about these things.  We also mostly all know about these things.  You're talking to a group that spends 8 hours a day in the Politics board.

I'm a big Beto fan, but I don't think he's ready for President. Sure, he'd be 10,000 times better than what we have now, but that's a very low bar.

Where I'm at. I won't be voting for him in the primary but if he ends up the nominee I will still vote for him with enthusiasm. I'll spend time and money on him because

1.) Fuck Donald Trump.

2.) The upside of his candidacy is it makes Texas marginally competitive for POTUS for the first time in my life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

and sunshine is the best disinfectant.  The more these things are discussed, the more the proper candidates can be put forth, no?  Didn't we learn that with Trump...the echo chamber on either side is dangerous.  We're all very proud of your categorical knowledge of Rep. O' Rourke's record.  Also, your Hussein thing is very disrespectful.

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

and sunshine is the best disinfectant. 

100%

I'm actually really excited every time some deranged Hillary freak thinks they've found the new nuke that's going to ratfuck Bernie's chances. We need to go into the general with the dirty laundry already aired and washed.

38 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

There are tens of millions of them.  Every person who voted for an R in the midterms can be counted on to vote for Trump, regardless of who the Dems nominate, and regardless of his or her positions.  That number is Trump’s floor.  What the ceiling is, I don’t know.  Anyone who took a look at what is going on in this country in 2018 and thought yeah, Republicans are doing a good job, we need to put/keep them in power - is a lost cause and no effort should be made to try to bring them over.  The only hope is for is a massive get out the vote effort, so that the numbers are overwhelming - and to get all D’s on the same page to back whoever the candidate is, 110% - regardless of whether he’s your guy/gal or not.  

^

good point.  O'Rourke will be painted as too moderate in this primary.  Some on here will say, "We already know that, don't post anything factual."  But I think some of you realize he's going to be darting from the center to the left.  That's just the truth.  So get it all out now.  I think that's his plan, his campaign isn't naive.  So when some of y'all bitch that we're bringing up old shit, remember---that's why they call it opposition research.  You think Castro and Biden were born last night?  Brands like his though won't go away quietly, but people cooler than him have been leveled before by far less sexy candidates.  Does nobody else remember John kerry?