Beto 2020

bad_teammate

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

There are tens of millions of them.  Every person who voted for an R in the midterms can be counted on to vote for Trump, regardless of who the Dems nominate, and regardless of his or her positions.  That number is Trump’s floor.  What the ceiling is, I don’t know.  Anyone who took a look at what is going on in this country in 2018 and thought yeah, Republicans are doing a good job, we need to put/keep them in power - is a lost cause and no effort should be made to try to bring them over.  The only hope is for is a massive get out the vote effort, so that the numbers are overwhelming - and to get all D’s on the same page to back whoever the candidate is, 110% - regardless of whether he’s your guy/gal or not.  

I thought Betos campaign did a good job of that and mainly focused on turnout. It worked enough for turnout to be way up and almost enough to win.

so if everyone runs and survives -- Beto will win TX no doubt, will Harris win CA?? Could get very convoluted if 4 or 5 people carry the states, with no majority winner of delegates. Then it be hell on earth in Wisconson, no?

Call me naive but the comparison to John Edwards is laughable.

Most women can sniff out a player - Edwards & Bill Clinton both pinged my horn dog meter immediately.

Beto could be fucking everything that moves but I get a more “Grown into his hotness former skinny but nice weirdo, was a virgin till 20 but once he figured it out OMG” vibe from him.

That’s why he so appealing to lots of women. He’s that boy from high school that we all wanted to give a second look but didn’t and then regretted it at the 15 year reunion.

And if there were any whispers about that sort of thing, Ted Motherfucking Cruz would have been on that like stink on shit.

The worst they dug up was the DUI.

After that? He wore a dress, skateboards at Whattaburger, and cusses a lot.

• Haha 1

so if everyone runs and survives -- Beto will win TX no doubt, will Harris win CA?? Could get very convoluted if 4 or 5 people carry the states, with no majority winner of delegates. Then it be hell on earth in Wisconson, no?

The upper Midwest isn't hell on Earth regardless?
I actually think it’s harder to beat Cruz in Texas than Trump for POTUS.  He doesn’t have to carry Texas to win.

The data bears this out. He lost the general, but outperformed most Democrats relative to the partisan lean of their states/ districts. He also outperformed the polls (slightly) and the projections of the election handicappers.

If a D POTUS candidate got within 3 points of winning Texas (not that Beto is anything close to a lock to do so), that means it is an EC wipeout pushing Obama 2008 level. PA, MI, WI, FL, and AZ all flip comfortably in that scenario, even if you attribute a portion of that petformance to Beto being the home state candidate and not the national political environment. That's ballgame and then some right there. NC and GA are more likely than not. Score starts running up at that point. IA/OH are right there on the edge with TX and possibly flip. Could get real ugly.

Also, Trump is wildly unpopular and has a ceiling approval rate in the low 40s. And it never actually gets that high bc he can't help doing dumb shit. That's just a hard position to win from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Call me naive but the comparison to John Edwards is laughable.

Most women can sniff out a player - Edwards & Bill Clinton both pinged my horn dog meter immediately.

Beto could be fucking everything that moves but I get a more “Grown into his hotness former skinny but nice weirdo, was a virgin till 20 but once he figured it out OMG” vibe from him.

That’s why he so appealing to lots of women. He’s that boy from high school that we all wanted to give a second look but didn’t and then regretted it at the 15 year reunion.

And if there were any whispers about that sort of thing, Ted Motherfucking Cruz would have been on that like stink on shit.

The worst they dug up was the DUI.

After that? He wore a dress, skateboards at Whattaburger, and cusses a lot.

Wait. You wear a dress, and cuss a lot.
Do you skateboard at whataburger by chance?

I don't know if anyone posted this NYTimes profile of Beto from last month, but it's a beating. The amount of "searching" and pointless, shiftless, lazy depression the self-absorbed Gen X male child of privilege can generate would solve the world's energy crisis if scientists could hook it up to a dynamo.

Fuck me running.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The data bears this out. He lost the general, but outperformed most Democrats relative to the partisan lean of their states/ districts. He also outperformed the polls (slightly) and the projections of the election handicappers.

If a D POTUS candidate got within 3 points of winning Texas (not that Beto is anything close to a lock to do so), that means it is an EC wipeout pushing Obama 2008 level. PA, MI, WI, FL, and AZ all flip comfortably in that scenario, even if you attribute a portion of that petformance to Beto being the home state candidate and not the national political environment. That's ballgame and then some right there. NC and GA are more likely than not. Score starts running up at that point. IA/OH are right there on the edge with TX and possibly flip. Could get real ugly.

Also, Trump is wildly unpopular and has a ceiling approval rate in the low 40s. And it never actually gets that high bc he can't help doing dumb shit. That's just a hard position to win from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was getting at but much more eloquent.  Pos rep.

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't know if anyone posted this NYTimes profile of Beto from last month, but it's a beating. The amount of "searching" and pointless, shiftless, lazy depression the self-absorbed Gen X male child of privilege can generate would solve the world's energy crisis if scientists could hook it up to a dynamo.

Fuck me running.

Well, not all of us are lucky enough to have our purpose figured out as you clearly are, Bad_teammate.   I agree with you: rather than busting his ass in an attempt to beat the evil Ted Cruz, Beto should have spent the last 11.5 months posting 4,409 posts here on Orangebloods. 

• Like 2

The notion that if Beto couldn't beat Cruz in Texas, he couldn't beat Trump for POTUS is ridiculous.

Barack Obama and Bill Clinton won four general elections without winning Texas.  

What, Beto has to carry Texas because it's his home state?  Not if he wins California and New York, which he would easily.

You think Trump and the surrogates he hasn't fired yet aren't mortified at the idea of Beto speaking Spanish at campaign stops in Florida?

Hell yes, he can win the general.  

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Well, not all of us are lucky enough to have our purpose figured out as you clearly are, Bad_teammate.   I agree with you: rather than busting his ass in an attempt to beat the evil Ted Cruz, Beto should have spent the last 11.5 months posting 4,409 posts here on Orangebloods. 

Did you read the profile? Your timeline is off. Turn on your monitor

So confused by the Bernie camp's all out anti-Beto blitz. In terms of positions and principles, Bernie and Beto are almost the same guy. Is it because they perceive Beto to be the biggest threat to Bernie? Earlier before even Bernie announced his candidacy, Beto was directly in the crosshairs of every Bernie bro in my twitter feed. And the attacks were all either laughably untrue (Beto is in bed with Big Oil) or just lame personal shit (he's married to a rich person). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

So confused by the Bernie camp's all out anti-Beto blitz. In terms of positions and principles, Bernie and Beto are almost the same guy. Is it because they perceive Beto to be the biggest threat to Bernie? Earlier before even Bernie announced his candidacy, Beto was directly in the crosshairs of every Bernie bro in my twitter feed. And the attacks were all either laughably untrue (Beto is in bed with Big Oil) or just lame personal shit (he's married to a rich person). 

Lmao. This is like Johnny Sack’s Isreal thread posts level of delusion. 

Edited by Fozzz

Sorry, but I just don't see any night and day difference between the two. Beto ran his campaign based on Bernie's financing model (no PACs). He said he'd impeach Trump. He was consistently and fearlessly left to far left, on every single issue, every time I heard him speak. I think I heard him talk about the environment more than anything else. He did not have a centrist platform even though he was running for Senate in Texas. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

So confused by the Bernie camp's all out anti-Beto blitz.

I have real Beto-skeptic cred because I voted against him in the Senate Democratic primary (VIVA SEMA!).

I also donated money to him in his Senate campaign. I knocked doors and recruited neighbors to let me put signs in their yards (my favorite overall campaign aesthetic in a LONG time).

I like Beto. He frustrates and annoys me with his narcissistic vacancy, but I think he's charming. The thing I hate about him most makes him very real and personable to me, like a son you want to strangle but also makes you smile and you're always glad to be around. And, at the end of it, I think he's a good enough guy who would be a good enough president.

If he wins the primary, I will donate, volunteer, and vote. It's not even a question in my mind. I will probably do more actual, out-in-the-world, legwork to make him president than most of the people defending him online.

In terms of positions and principles, Bernie and Beto are almost the same guy.

lol the fuck?

Is it because they perceive Beto to be the biggest threat to Bernie?

There are a dozen "threats" to Bernie. I don't see Beto as the biggest.

Bernie people love Bernie because he's got decades and decades of being consistently right. He is about as egoless and guileless as you could get in any elected official. He's got an obvious, coherent worldview and his policy positions grow from that tree.

Beto is... not those things.

• Like 4

Pescado is right. 220k will be made up by old white deaths and young hispanics turning voting age. This is pretty much the nightmare scenario for the Republican party. 
Honestly if Beto ran a more strategic campaign (less time on rural towns/more effective tv ad) he probably would have beat Cruz.

Disagree. I sat through many small town Town Halls with Beto. They like what he says, but they are punching Straight R. Guns/ bortion/jerbs! Trump would carry Texas by 6 points today vs Beto, Jesus himself or whomever.

A lot of trumpkins didn’t bother to vote in 2016

Maybe 2024. But with shitty turnout in the valley again, I doubt that too unless the State Democratic Party gets its shit together.
Maybe the end of straight party voting in Texas accelerates things....

Presidential election year is a different animal than a midterm. Dems best shot at winning Texas is trump continuing to trump. Add a Beto type on the ticket somewhere and it gets interesting. 
You would have to be a real sack of shit to vote for trump over anybody, let alone Beto. Unfortunately there are a lot of sacks of shit out there.

Nobody likes Ted Cruz.

Yet he’s our Senator

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If he wins the primary, I will donate, volunteer, and vote. It's not even a question in my mind. I will probably do more actual, out-in-the-world, legwork to make him president than most of the people defending him online.

Will do the absolute same for Bernie. 

But I'm going to maintain that Beto and Bernie are, on the issues, extremely similar. The two rebuttals I've gotten so far have been "LMAO [you're delusional]" and "lol the fuck." Where do Bernie and Beto deviate? Because it's not on the environment, or immigration, or guns, or reproductive rights...

I mean, it's fair to opine that Bernie is better because of experience, intangibles, he just seems more aggresively committed, or even just a feeling that Bernie is the right guy. But I don't think it's fair to say Beto's platform/policies are a far cry from Bernie's, especially when you zoom out of the democratic party and look from a national perspective. 

If you read the VF piece released today, Beto takes issue with that NYT profile.

O’Rourke objects to a New York Times story published in February that he believes painted him as aimless and depressed in New York. He describes the time as one of joyous indirection in which he surrounded himself with “some amazing artists and thinkers.” He read Joseph Campbell’s The Hero’s Journey, discovered Bob Dylan, deepened his devotion to The Odyssey, and went through bursts of enthusiasm for bands like Big Star and Guided by Voices. In the parlance of the times, he was a slacker. “Generation X is scrappier and less formulaic,” observes David Guinn, a Williamsburg housemate who’s now a painter in Philadelphia. “Not with the manifest destiny or the heroism of the baby-boomers who believed they were going to change the world. There’s a real humbleness to the whole generation—and to Beto.”

“I was waking up in time to go to work, because I had stayed up so late, playing music, having fun, dancing, just being alive,” O’Rourke says. “And I don’t feel guilty or bad about it, because I’m so glad I did that. It was just such a wonderful time. And I’m so grateful that I had it. But it was not conducive to a career or a discipline or a profession.”

32 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

But I'm going to maintain that Beto and Bernie are, on the issues, extremely similar. The two rebuttals I've gotten so far have been "LMAO [you're delusional]" and "lol the fuck." Where do Bernie and Beto deviate? Because it's not on the environment, or immigration, or guns, or reproductive rights...

Beto didn't sponsor College for All (HR 1880) or Medicare for All (HR 676), so there are two fairly huge ones.

He was (still is? who knows with him honestly) part of the the New Democrat Coalition, which is a centrist, "We've gotta work with Republicans!" coalition that advocates expanded private markets and, essentially, ACA reform.

He says now he supports the Green New Deal, but has also said repeatedly that he sees O&G as a key component of America's energy future (which it's... uh... NOT in the Green New Deal).

I mean, it's fair to opine that Bernie is better because of experience, intangibles, he just seems more aggresively committed, or even just a feeling that Bernie is the right guy. But I don't think it's fair to say Beto's platform/policies are a far cry from Bernie's, especially when you zoom out of the democratic party and look from a national perspective. 

This is the thing Beto: Who fucking knows what he believes?

I will happily grant that, for tens of millions of voters, it doesn't really matter. As long as he's nice and looks good and isn't Donald, those voters don't give a shit whether or not Beto has any actual firm grounding or framework through which he makes decisions and views the world.

And as much as I like him personally, he's not Obama. He's even less substantive and less inspirational (by a factor of 10).

I am very, very ready to listen.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

I don't know if I get the not left enough. He definitely supported a lot of liberal causes while running in fucking Texas. Looks like someone who will lead to me and that's what we need.

More importantly, he supports a lot of the same structural reforms as Bernie, most importantly limiting the influence of money in our politics. That along with ending gerrymandering and restricting corporate lobbying would do more than anything else to start to fix our shit sandwich.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

SO the "New Democrat Coalition" caucus let him in, which describes themselves as moderate and balanced budgets and pro-growth (their words, not mine).  But the Congressional Hispanic Caucus wouldn't let him in despite his cool name and El Paso roots?  Got it, no facts from now on.  

Is this all you’re going to say over and over? It’s already boring and he hasn’t even officially announced yet.