Beto 2020

bad_teammate

7 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Will do the absolute same for Bernie. 

But I'm going to maintain that Beto and Bernie are, on the issues, extremely similar. The two rebuttals I've gotten so far have been "LMAO [you're delusional]" and "lol the fuck." Where do Bernie and Beto deviate? Because it's not on the environment, or immigration, or guns, or reproductive rights...

I mean, it's fair to opine that Bernie is better because of experience, intangibles, he just seems more aggresively committed, or even just a feeling that Bernie is the right guy. But I don't think it's fair to say Beto's platform/policies are a far cry from Bernie's, especially when you zoom out of the democratic party and look from a national perspective. 

As I've pointed out multiple times, when you adjust for district electorate, Beto has been one of the most Trumpian Dems in the House.  His actual record is dogshit.  

Beto O’Rourke’s spirited run for the US Senate in Texas last month has prompted powerful voices in the Democratic party establishment to tout the outgoing Texas congressman as a 2020 presidential candidate who, as the party’s standard-bearer, would offer a vision of America contrasting against that of Republicans.

However, a new analysis of congressional votes from the non-profit news organisation Capital & Main shows that even as O’Rourke represented one of the most solidly Democratic congressional districts in the United States, he has frequently voted against the majority of House Democrats in support of Republican bills and Trump administration priorities.

Capital & Main reviewed the 167 votes O’Rourke has cast in the House in opposition to the majority of his own party during his six-year tenure in Congress. Many of those votes were not progressive dissents alongside other left-leaning lawmakers, but instead votes to help pass Republican-sponsored legislation.

O’Rourke has voted for GOP bills that his fellow Democratic lawmakers said reinforced Republicans’ anti-tax ideology, chipped away at the Affordable Care Act (ACA), weakened Wall Street regulations, boosted the fossil fuel industry and bolstered Donald Trump’s immigration policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/20/beto-orourke-congressional-votes-analysis-capital-and-main

19 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Bold prediction: Beto runs away with this and it's over by Super Tuesday. Kamala Harris as VP.

I'm going to make my first donation of 2020 this morning, $50 to Beto for President.

lmao.  If anything Beto running will help Bernie by further splitting the establishment lane between Beto, Kamala, and Creepy Joe. 

lmao.  If anything Beto running will help Bernie by further splitting the establishment lane between Beto, Kamala, and Creepy Joe. 
Disagree. Beto has the ability to capture the soft left people who identify as liberal but are not ideological. And again, he hits all the important issues, most critically structural reform like campaign finance reform. He will also appeal to middle in the same way Obama did in 2008 and expand the electorate like he did in Texas. His campaign is going to be moving like a freight train by Iowa and, absent a scandal, it will be hard to stop. I see the Bernie and Biden support, beyond the very core, as driven mostly by name recognition and good feelings.

Something interesting I noticed in his launch speech. He used the phrase "dignity of work," which would have been the centerpiece of Sherrod Browns campaign. Look for an early endorsement from Brown. On the other hand, he may just be seeking that endorsement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bold prediction: Beto runs away with this and it's over by Super Tuesday. Kamala Harris as VP.
I'm going to make my first donation of 2020 this morning, $50 to Beto for President.

yeah man, I don’t know how anyone who’s a true blue rational democrat could see a Beto/Harris ticket and not count their lucky stars. especially when you consider they’d be going up against fucking Trump.

a Beto/Harris ticket comfortably beats Trump in 2020. I think they’d actually complement each other pretty well too, Bleeding Heart Beto and Kamala the Cop.

3 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

yeah man, I don’t know how anyone who’s a true blue rational democrat could see a Beto/Harris ticket and not count their lucky stars. especially when you consider they’d be going up against fucking Trump.

a Beto/Harris ticket comfortably beats Trump in 2020. I think they’d actually complement each other pretty well too, Bleeding Heart Beto and Kamala the Cop.

I’d wonder if the olds would feel like they’re giving up the reins too much and not be as motivated to vote for that ticket. 

27 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Something interesting I noticed in his launch speech. He used the phrase "dignity of work," which would have been the centerpiece of Sherrod Browns campaign. Look for an early endorsement from Brown. On the other hand, he may just be seeking that endorsement.

Lots of Democratic candidates have adopted Brown's "dignity of work" slogan. Klobuchar, Booker, and Harris to name a few off the top of my head. I want to say Warren used it too. 

33 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Disagree. Beto has the ability to capture the soft left people who identify as liberal but are not ideological. And again, he hits all the important issues, most critically structural reform like campaign finance reform. He will also appeal to middle in the same way Obama did in 2008 and expand the electorate like he did in Texas. His campaign is going to be moving like a freight train by Iowa and, absent a scandal, it will be hard to stop. I see the Bernie and Biden support, beyond the very core, as driven mostly by name recognition and good feelings.

I don't think aping Obama's post-partisan "bring people together" shtick is going to have much appeal to people looking for a real agent of change, the type of people to whom Bernie appeals.  There is nothing about Beto that suggests that his presidency will bring about any meaningful change.

8 months ago, he was "too left for Texas" but now all the "conservatives" are out of the woodwork to praise him.

They ain't going to vote for him.  Stop deluding yourselves into thinking he's going to get some massive unhappy GOP vote.  They'll vote for Trump, bitch about it, say they really voted for Gary Johnson, and then defend Trump. 

• Like 7

First 24-hour donor haul will be interesting. Numbers to watch are Kamala @ 1.5M and Bernie @ 5.9M. This is a long slog of a primary campaign and money will matter.

This is really fun to watch. I'm genuinely excited to see how insane the Internet goes today.

10 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

How can any candidate be a "carpetbagger" in a presidential election? (I guess Obama since he's from Kenya?)

a political candidate who seeks election in an area where they have no local connections.

a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist.

I was referring to Trump but I'm sure you probably thought I meant Bernie.  Works for both.

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

First 24-hour donor haul will be interesting. Numbers to watch are Kamala @ 1.5M and Bernie @ 5.9M. This is a long slog of a primary campaign and money will matter.

This is really fun to watch. I'm genuinely excited to see how insane the Internet goes today.

Donated my part just now 

Whiz Kid Harry Enten does a very interesting breakdown of 2018 mid-term results that put Beto's loss in some perspective. (CNN)

Overall, O'Rourke is certainly stronger in Texas than you'd have expected of a Democrat five years ago. According to this data, so too are other Democrats. O'Rourke's 2018 performance suggests he is certainly no worse than the average Democrat. He's probably better. O'Rourke, though, isn't likely some electoral magic bullet for Democrats.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Whiz Kid Harry Enten does a very interesting breakdown of 2018 mid-term results that put Beto's loss in some perspective. (CNN)

Overall, O'Rourke is certainly stronger in Texas than you'd have expected of a Democrat five years ago. According to this data, so too are other Democrats. O'Rourke's 2018 performance suggests he is certainly no worse than the average Democrat. He's probably better. O'Rourke, though, isn't likely some electoral magic bullet for Democrats.

Yes, O'Rourke did about 11 points better than Democrat Lupe Valdez in the governor's race. In the other two major statewide races (lieutenant governor and attorney general), Democrats did quite well relative to recent years. Mike Collier lost by 5 in the lieutenant governor's race. O'Rourke's 3-point defeat was only 1 point better than Justin Nelson's in the attorney general race. Both Collier and Nelson were up against Republican incumbents like O'Rourke was.

I think he's underselling the fact that Nelson was running against an AG under indictment, and Collier was running against an unpopular Lt Governor

Lets get way ahead of ourselves and assume Beto wins the nomination. Would fellow Texan and known Trump hater W endorse him? If he did, would it help him peel off unhappy Rs, or would it do more harm than good with the far leftists in the Democratic party? Would Beto even want his endorsement? 

Good for Beto.  I was all in for him in the senate race and ironically I'm not sure that I would vote for him if the election were today, but I do think we need his energy regardless.  Mayor Pete has just impressed the fuck out of me.  I don't think he has a real shot in 2020 because this world is stupid, but I'll support Beto for sure.  I think he ultimately ends up as someone's VP.  If he can get people out to vote, that's what matters.  Go Beto!

• Like 2

Beto is  just such a breath of fresh air when contrasted with Trump's shtick and bile.

Maybe it's pollyannish and i am completely off base, but i feel like the country is craving what Beto offers.

Edited by yoladu

So is it going to be Biden/Beto or Beto/Biden?

Sanders is probably saying, "well we can shape the arguements even if we don't win. And I will fight until the very last minute for purity and... (well you know how that worked out) Beto's gonna suck the air out of the room IMHO vs Sanders.  Sanders will try to policy whip him, but BETO's lack of definition is not unlike Trump's lack of definition or Obama's that was appealing.  30 years of definition for Joe Biden is baggage, but he just needs to stay on message as to the why.  How his family and death in his family in particular shaped his political career.  My line for Biden to the attacks on his past would be,  "I wasn't born yesterday obviously, and I don't know what kind of person doesn't change over time as they are exposed to more information?  

I will no delve into what most folks don't want to talk about, there is a big race component in winning.  OR at least historically there is a large race component in past Presidential races, can you bring working class whites with you? I think Beto and Biden check this box better than any of the other candidates.  I personally also believe that there is more animosity towards other races in this demographic than any other. (disagree if you feel differently) I always viewed it as their mental way to "feel superior" when they were doing the same jobs as a brown of black person.  It also feeds into the Trump angle of "taking your jobs, and his back to the future vision." I think simply on looks alone with no substance at all Biden and Beto check this box for these generally lower information voters.

What I also will look for is can Beto bring over the non-white vote?  I think he steals Bernie's younger voters, for some of the same reasons working class whites would accept Beto, simply on his looks alone.  If you are a young kid if it comes down to push for shove are you gonna choose Bernie over Beto?  I just do not think so in the end. I think that both Beto and Biden are gonna go hard after the black vote.  Simply by showing up!!! Something that Clinton didn't do a lot of.  For the Dems winning is and always has been about uniting rather than dividing which favors Republicans historically.  I could see a Biden/Beto or Beto/Biden do very well across ALL the demographics needed to win in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Beto is  just such a breath of fresh air when contrasted with Trump's shtick and bile.

Maybe it's pollyannish and i am completely off base, but i feel like the country is craving what Beto offers.

Agree with this more than the people that think people are looking for a dem to come out swinging. I think most people want somebody that will restore civility and positivity after 4 years of this shit stain in office. Beto is the most opposite of trump on approach.

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

8 months ago, he was "too left for Texas" but now all the "conservatives" are out of the woodwork to praise him.

They ain't going to vote for him.  Stop deluding yourselves into thinking he's going to get some massive unhappy GOP vote.  They'll vote for Trump, bitch about it, say they really voted for Gary Johnson or admit that they voted for Trump and say that "they had no choice and its all the Democrats' fault because they nominated a FAR LEFT EXTREMIST LIBERAL (no matter how reasonable or moderate that candidate's positions are) and then defend Trump at every turn and insist that they aren't defending Tump, and "don't support him at all, he should really post on Twitter less."

more accurate

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

My bold prediction is just the opposite: Beto for president flops.

Let's watch.

• Like 1

I just want to go on the record as stating I think he wins or at the very least makes a very strong showing. He has some weaknesses to overcome but he has too much going his way to not do well.

1. High energy

2. Connects with people in a genuine way

3. Hard worker

4. Great fundraiser 

5. Experienced town hall campaigner

6. Good looking

7. Speaks Spanish 

8. Commands an audience when he speaks, even if not polished

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

8th grade civics question.  Can Biden be VP again?

Sure, why not? The 12th amendment only specifies that someone ineligible to be president cannot be VP.  There's no term limits for a VP.  Biden meets every other requirement to be POTUS.   Calhoun served as VP under two different dudes. 

America 101: Are there term limits for U.S. vice presidents?

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

American presidents are limited to two, four-year terms in office (or a maximum of 10 years in a case of a president who ascended to the position as vice president), thanks to the 22nd Amendment, which was ratified in 1951. However, vice presidents, like members of the U.S. Congress, face no such restrictions on how long they can hold their jobs. To date, though, no one who’s ever been a heartbeat away from the presidency has served more than two full terms. In fact, only eight VPs have served for eight years: John Adams, Daniel Tompkins, Thomas Marshall, John Nance Garner, Richard Nixon, George H.W. Bush, Al Gore and Dick Cheney.

Something that folks seem to be missing is that Beto gets the wife crowd hot and bothered (well, to be fair, folks have acknowledged that). And the dividend for that is...husbands are gonna get a Beto Booty dividend as long as he’s running a strong campaign/wins the nomination.

Support Beto, and get some.

• Like 5

How much money did Beto have in reserve from his Senate run that he can immediately deploy in a presidential campaign?

I would bet my own money that he’s got an almost unlimited flow of cash immediately coming his way. Anyone doubting Beto’s chances may be in for a shocker as 2020 rolls around. And yeah, I’ll be shocked myself if Texas doesn’t flip sooner than later.

My biggest issue is that Beto is another Obama. He is naive and will be played like a fiddle by Republicans, because he assumes certain rule / decorum will be played by Rs. The Rs have shown for the past 12? years that they don’t care about the US. They only care about their team.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm going to make an uneducated guess of $3.2M

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Something that folks seem to be missing is that Beto gets the wife crowd hot and bothered (well, to be fair, folks have acknowledged that). And the dividend for that is...husbands are gonna get a Beto Booty dividend as long as he’s running a strong campaign/wins the nomination.

Support Beto, and get some.

Said it in the Beto/Senate thread but my Beto shirt self started more conversations w/ attractive women than a puppy.  Will be getting Beto for POTUS shirts, ASAP.