Prayers for Johnny Lam Jones

Hornius Emeritus

Just saw this message from former Horn Vance Bedford. Keep Lam Jones in your prayers:

Lam Jones In 1994, was inducted into the Texas Athletics Hall of Honor. He is considered to be one of the greatest athletes in school history
Before enrolling at the University of Texas,he qualified for the 4 × 100 metres relay, becoming the youngest athlete from Texas to earn a berth on the U.S. Olympic track and field team. In the 1976 Summer Olympics, he won a gold medal running the second leg of the 4x100

2005, Jones was diagnosed with myeloma cancer that affects bone marrow in the legs. His cancer has returned and the end is near. Lift him up with prayer.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cuernavaca said:

Fucking IOC took the video down.

Hook Em Lam!!!

Yeah. And to think I used to like the IOC.  

Video unavailable
This video contains content from International Olympic Committee, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube

OK, so it watched it on YouTube.  Can you imagine trying to tackle any of that?

Edited by Bullneck

On 3/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

Johnny "Lam" Jones..... from Lampasas Texas 🤘 

Wore #26...... Same as Keaontay Ingram

I was about to say it's the wrong way, but then remembered that I was there, across from the press box. Jones preferred to play running back. His freshman year, I recall he'd take a pitch out of the veer in his early games and defenders disastrously miscalculated their cut-off angles due to Lam's speed. 

We were all young and immortal then. Autumn sunshine and Longhorn football. Earl and Lam and me.

So very sad that time passes. Even sadder that it passes too quickly and likely painfully for the lightning bolt from Lampasas. I believe he donated his gold medal to the Special Olympics. A generous gift that may have also indicated the young man's dislike of the spotlight.

Johnny Lam Jones, I hope all goes as well as it possibly can for you.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

Some time ago after EA went through their O'Bannon suit, I started fucking around with NCAA 2014 and converted all the elite schools into their respective all-time teams. JLJ is one of my 4 starting WR's along with Roy Williams, Mike Adams, and Eric Metcalf. 

Really hated hearing that it resurfaced and only hope he was as comforted as possible. Fuck you cancer; you are a diseased whore.

Jones spent his last days at the Round Rock Scott & White Hospital. He will be buried in the Texas State Cemetery, a close friend said, after the late Darrell Royal became a strong advocate for him being laid to rest there.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/03/15/former-texas-star-olympian-johnny-lam-jones-passes-away-cancer-battle/

On 3/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

Johnny "Lam" Jones..... from Lampasas Texas 🤘 

Wore #26...... Same as Keaontay Ingram

Little known, and unbelievable fact.....we went 22 years without another Kickoff Return TD after Lam Jones in '78.....Victor Ike broke the streak in the 2000 Holiday Bowl.  

A great fact about his speed:  how many 4x4 relay anchors could go from last to first in the TEXAS state finals?  Holy smokes.

Jones is perhaps best known for his performance as the anchor leg on the 4x400-meter relay at the 1976 UIL Texas state track meet, when he took the baton in last place and passed everyone on a dramatic final lap.

JLJ passed away

• Like 1