Fun thread: your video game experience in college

markstanco

Sega was my generation. Bill Walsh college football. We had a rule where you couldn't be colorado ( kordell stewart) because he was ranked a 100.

Also, our rule was if you went up 21 before the end of the 2nd game over, pay your $5 bet. Most games ended 90-85 or similar.

PGA Tour golf was the other. If you didnt shoot 55 or under you would get smoked.

Got dayum, those fun days were a quarter century ago for me.

Yall go...

• Like 1

Super Techmo Bowl.  I figured out that, if you ran the option against the computer, the games almost always ended up close.  IIRC, this was the version in which you could play an entire season + playoffs, so with close games it was kind of fun to run through a season.

• Like 1

August 1999 - December 2003.  PS1, PS2, N64, GameCube

Perfect Dark + Goldeneye - Lots of fun times had there with multiplayer.

NCAA basketball tourneys in the dorms.  I won 1999 version in my dorm... Duke.  Thanks Dunleavy.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-4.  I dominated THPS 2.  Officer Dick was bomb character

Senior - I jammed to White Stripes Elephant while playing Metroid Prime.  Loved that game.

Tiger Woods golf on Game Cube.  Lots of fun in the house with that one too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Super Techmo Bowl.  I figured out that, if you ran the option against the computer, the games almost always ended up close.  IIRC, this was the version in which you could play an entire season + playoffs, so with close games it was kind of fun to run through a season.

The hell kinda tecmo bowl had the option?

• Like 2

Freshman year - it was all Starcraft in the Simkins dorm.

Late freshman year - we got really into Tribes.

Early sophomore year - Tribes 2

Junior to senior years - I got really into Asheron’s Call (MMO).  Ended up like the 4th highest level guy at one point and later sold my account for $2400...  perhaps a factor leading into one additional semester being required to graduate...

• Like 1

I worked with some buddies in the Physics Lab in RLM. We used to go in there after hours and play Doom deathmatches all night long. Had to scoot out of there real quick when the profs started coming in the next morning. This was early 1994, when networked computers weren't so common. It was sweet

• Like 2

Old motherfuckers in here. We played a fuckton of CoD, NCAA 14, FIFA, and GTA in college. But the most fun was breaking out the old N64 (that my parents bought for me in 1999) and playing Super Smash Bros. Fun fact: That machine & it’s original controllers, and the game still work flawlessly. They’re nearly 20 years old.

1997 to 2001.

NHL and Madden 95 on Sega. The amount of tournaments we had in our apartment off Riverside was outrageous. Most picked the Blackhawks or the Red Wings on NHL. 

If you made little Gretzky’s head bleed (you are so money and you don’t even know it) you got bonus points. 

Edited by Newy25

PS1
NCAA Football with Ricky on the cover.
Tony Hawk 1
Hot Shots Golf 2
PS2
Tony Hawk
NCAA Football
Smugglers Run

My younger brother had that NCAA with Ricky on the cover. I can’t remember if I was playing against his best friend or him, but I couldn’t run for shit. That go route on the left sideline was open for days though.

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Man, I'd love to have all those quarters back.

giphy.gif

Fuck. Yes.

Had a standup game literally given to us for the place we lived in the last 2 years of college.  Used to set that up with about 500 credits at the beginning of the night of a party.

"Wizard needs food...badly"

• Like 3

1997 to 2001.
NHL and Madden 95 on Sega. The amount of tournaments we had in our apartment off Riverside was outrageous. Most picked the Blackhawks or the Red Wings on NHL. 
If you made little Gretzky’s head bleed (you are so money and you don’t even know it) you got bonus points. 

Riverside? The Metropolis?

23 hours ago, markstanco said:

Sega was my generation. Bill Walsh college football. We had a rule where you couldn't be colorado ( kordell stewart) because he was ranked a 100.

Also, our rule was if you went up 21 before the end of the 2nd game over, pay your $5 bet. Most games ended 90-85 or similar.

PGA Tour golf was the other. If you didnt shoot 55 or under you would get smoked.

Got dayum, those fun days were a quarter century ago for me.

Yall go...

Loved Walsh football... Used to run Alabama and the option, milking the clock. My brother would get the kick and drive for a score. I'd take up the rest of the half on a TD drive, and do the same thing after getting the second half kickoff. 

10 hours ago, bluto said:

The hell kinda tecmo bowl had the option?

None.  Iirc, you pressed "A" to hand the ball off.  If you selected, say, a run to the right, you could either keep it (QB) or pitch it to the RB.  It's obviously been awhile, but I think that's how it worked.  Also choosing Tampa Bay ensured you had the slowest, shittiest players.  

This was more fun to me than winning every game 50-0.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

10 hours ago, Richter said:

Junior to senior years - I got really into Asheron’s Call (MMO).  Ended up like the 4th highest level guy at one point and later sold my account for $2400...  perhaps a factor leading into one additional semester being required to graduate...

The seamless and gigantic world of Dereth was unlike anything before or since. I gimped my way through two years on Darktide as a three-school Aluvian archer mage with dagger (so borked). Not perfect, but one of the most unique and original games I've ever played.

There werent many compelling consoles in the 80s and cool kids that played video games did so on a PC of some sort.

I could have had a PC for the asking (and a little fudging about how useful it would be in engineering), but I knew it would become a monster distraction.  Like it was for the guy across the hall during finals.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

None. I was too busy getting drunk, getting high or getting laid during college(wonder why I lost my scholarship). I owned an Atari 5200 as a kid, then the next system I owned was a PS1 like 10 years after college. I did play some Mike Tyson Punch-Out on a neighbor's NES, back when I spent the summers during the late years of elementary school in my dad's travel trailer(he worked in TN and during the summer, instead of him driving home for the weekend, me and my mom would spend them up there). Never played SEGA or SNES until after I finished all the rpgs on the PS1, PS2 and PS3, then went back and played all of the ones from them, on a emulator.

Asteroids, whatever that game was where you shot incoming nukes, and Digdug (I could probably get halfway through that now on muscle memory.)

I wish I could play the 1980s version of Seven Cities of Gold again. I found the 90's version online on an abandonware site, so I guess that's good.