Fun thread: your video game experience in college

markstanco

Technically just post-college, but still Way Young, I had a job as an artist at a software company that was making bootleg versions of Choplifter and Galaga to include in a package called "Hello Charlie" for an upcoming (early 80s) PC release. It was the dream job for a young-20s dork-- I was paid decent 80s money to sit and play Choplifter until I'd memorized every sprite and advanced through all the missions, then I'd sit around and draw cartoon helicopters on graph paper. Bought and built a helicopter model to use as a reference for that extra oomph.

The Galaga knock-off was even more fun. We didn't have it at the office, so they'd issue me a double handful of coins out of petty cash, then I would stroll in the sunshine down to the arcade, where I would get paid to play Galaga for a couple of hours a day until I'd memorized every space-bug wing-flap.

It was Paradise on a Stick, and I didn't know it.

• Like 1

I was twisting all of your girlfriends buttons while you nerds were busy playing pacman

Spoiler

but seriously, this

c9a4c9de-cad2-42e7-9dda-227e8091bf05.jpg

plus this

1285873774.jpg

was good for 45-60 minutes of play.  I mastered that fucking game.

58 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

wish I could play the 1980s version of Seven Cities of Gold again.

I had that on the C64 and played it a ton.  Always asked others about it, no one every knew what the fuck I was talking about.

Edited by mulletpelini
  • Like 1

Counterstrike on pc, tekken tag and quake arena on ps2, ncaa fb (I think it was 2k1?)  on dreamcast, Mario golf on 64, and tiger woods golf on GameCube (probably 02 or 03 version). I think the most consistently fun time was probably Mario golf. 

Sidenote: Bill walsh was the first sports game I got as a kid and I absolutely played as Colorado vs the cpu. 

Mario Kart on the N64 was the biggest, multi year time waster.  We had a semester or two where somebody bought a game called Bomberman that might have been played for a week consecutively in my apartment with different players coming and going.  It sucked, but exploding your opponent with a bomb they didn't see was hilarious.

At the KU bowling alley arcade, I was unbeatable at Mortal Kombat 3.  If I used Sub Zero or Cyrax, you were getting a flawless victory and fatality slapped on you.  I hadn't touched a machine in at least 25 years and we found one on a baseball trip last fall, so I played a few games against a couple of my players.  I still remember of specialty moves and combo button presses for most of the characters.

A lot of FIFA 07, a Rugby game (one roommate was on the team), Guitar Hero II, Super Smash (gamecube version), one weekend of Golden Eye/Pokemon Snap. A shit ton of getting high and playing Endless Ocean on the Gamecube wanting to bang Hayley Westenra while she sings Oh Shenandoah.

Oh and we had a contest on emulators to see who could finish Pokemon Yellow the fastest (at x2 speed).

original NES here.

Arrived in Jester on Frosh move in day August of '93, managed to find a classified ad for a 19 inch TV being sold by a Euro grad student returning home for $30, bought it.

And then in the same week some guy was wanting to exchange his NES & 10 or so games (with metroid being the main on) for NFL Football Cards.

I happened to collect football cards at the time, and had a shitload of duplicate "bonus/ rare" cards and bought a current copy of the monthly Beckett football card price guide, met the guy downstairs in the piano room in Jester.  I let him look through my high dollar cards, and pick what he wanted, and then we sat there and added up the prices of his cards with the price guide, and agreed on a deal.  I think I ended up giving up  $75 worth of cards for the deal. but as we all know I wouldnt have gotten $75 for those cards, maybe $50 at best, so it was a good deal.

had to get to radio shack to get the correct adapters since the TV I bought was a Euro TV and didnt have the RCA standards, cost maybe $10 and my roommate and I then played a fuckton of  Metroid

and then a whole weird shitton of rando games that came with the deal including 2 of note

StarWars (which wasnt that great)

Rampart... which was a turn-by-turn roleplay game. All I can remember is I was defending my castle and attacking others, but damn that game took a shitload of my time. Reason below.

pretty soon guys who lived a lot closer to home than I did were bringing several of their own NES games from home so we had a good collection for a while until my roommate or I left the room unattended and someone came in and stole almost all the games (they left the starwars and Rampart games), but that kinda stopped the rest of the floor because several floormates had their personal copies of the good games stolen.

So I ended up playing that Rampart game a fuckton.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Asteroids, whatever that game was where you shot incoming nukes, and Digdug (I could probably get halfway through that now on muscle memory.)

I wish I could play the 1980s version of Seven Cities of Gold again. I found the 90's version online on an abandonware site, so I guess that's good.

Asteroids, never had 'em, but my dad did.  Some days he couldn't even sit on the toilet.

The incoming nukes game you're thinking of was Missile Command, I believe.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, Richter said:

Freshman year - it was all Starcraft in the Simkins dorm.

Late freshman year - we got really into Tribes.

Early sophomore year - Tribes 2

Junior to senior years - I got really into Asheron’s Call (MMO).  Ended up like the 4th highest level guy at one point and later sold my account for $2400...  perhaps a factor leading into one additional semester being required to graduate...

jason?

final fantasy 7, ultima online, quake (inc. the original team fortress), quake 2 and all the mods (Q2 ctf was about the best multiplayer shooter ever), eventually quake 3, warcraft, starcraft, xwing vs. tie fighter, red alert,  n64 mario kart, smash, goldeneye, perfect dark (i was terrible at n64 games). 

4 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Has anyone mentioned Unreal?  We played the shit out of that in the early 2000's.  Moved in with a couple guys right after I got divorced.  If we weren't fucking coeds we were multiplayering that shit for hours.  Good divorce medicine

Unreal Tournament was the shit!

On 3/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, Richter said:

Freshman year - it was all Starcraft in the Simkins dorm.

Late freshman year - we got really into Tribes.

Early sophomore year - Tribes 2

Junior to senior years - I got really into Asheron’s Call (MMO).  Ended up like the 4th highest level guy at one point and later sold my account for $2400...  perhaps a factor leading into one additional semester being required to graduate...

Have you seen this vid? 

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

jason?

final fantasy 7, ultima online, quake (inc. the original team fortress), quake 2 and all the mods (Q2 ctf was about the best multiplayer shooter ever), eventually quake 3, warcraft, starcraft, xwing vs. tie fighter, red alert,  n64 mario kart, smash, goldeneye, perfect dark (i was terrible at n64 games). 

Not me, but there was a Jason in the dorm who was obsessed with and really good at Starcraft.

Buddy of mine had a TurboGrafx 16 with a game on it called Military Madness. It was one of those hexagonal turn based strategy games set on the moon. Ridiculously addictive. It’s been re-released as Neo Nectaris on a few platforms, and for awhile I carried around a TG16 emulator and that one game on a thumb drive. Good times.

NCAA football on ps2 in the dorms freshman year. We really hit our stride though junior and senior years, alternating Mario kart 64 and mortal kombat vs dc universe. There are very few things I have ever been better at than Mario kart battle with bowser from '08-10.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:02 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Super Techmo Bowl.  I figured out that, if you ran the option against the computer, the games almost always ended up close.  IIRC, this was the version in which you could play an entire season + playoffs, so with close games it was kind of fun to run through a season.

Roommate and I used to always play in grad school.  We had both gotten really good and were really evenly matched.  One day, he was beating me 3-0 with about 2 minutes left and I got the ball back at about my 10-yl.  I drove it down inside his 10, and had a 4th and 8 with :03 left.  He guessed wrong and I scored a TD on the last play and talked mad shit.  He not only never beat me again, but we never had a close game again.  

2003-2007.  

Freshman year:  NCAA football, and someone found their childhood NES and Super NES, so we mixed in lots of Duck Hunter, Mario 1-3, and Tecmo Bowl.

Sophomore year:  NCAA football, and a few rounds of Halo between class getting done for the day, and going to dinner.  We were in the dorms yet, and you could play your whole floor or whatever.  It was kinda fun  

Junior/Senior year:  NCAA football online (Xbox live was just coming out).  ISU had a good offense in the '06 game.  We were living off campus at this point.  One of my roomates had the head set, so you could talk shit to the people you were playing.

Was never a huge gamer once I got to college (was more into it previously).  It was a nice time filler when nothing else was going, but by a certain time of night, it was time to start partying.  I never understood guys that stayed in and played video games on party nights.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Doom was the biggie.  Networked 2 computers together.  There were 3 of us, a bottle of some liquor and PvP Doom.  If you die, you take a shot and play until the bottle (usually 1L) was gone.  If you lost a few rounds early, it tended to get ugly for you.

But before playing, we would go get Chinese at HEB  for something like $3.  

Space Invaders

Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man - I used to know the patterns to get through the first few boards on each

Donkey Kong

Missile Command

Tank Commander

A few more less-frequent ones; all in the arcades, pre-PC. Also a good number of pinball machines. Yeah, I'm old.

Oh, the quarters....if I had them back I'd retire.

Super Tecmo Bowl Tournament. 

2 or 4 players draft the 28 teams. Play 7 or 14 1 on 1 matchups per person. Start with your worst (last) pick and work your way up. Best record wins the tournament. Replay with your #1 squad for tiebreaker. Drink a shit ton of Natural Light in the process. 

The bullshit games with the worst teams was always the best. 

Edited by TornACL

Super Tecmo Bowl Tournament. 
2 or 4 players draft the 28 teams. Play 7 or 14 1 on 1 matchups per person. Start with your worst (last) pick and work your way up. Best record wins the tournament. Replay with your #1 squad for tiebreaker. Drink a shit ton of Natural Light in the process. 
The bullshit games with the worst teams was always the best. 

We always did that on Madden.