NIT Selection Sunday - 7:30 3/17 ESPNU

Henry Hill

Shocks vs. Texas in Austin for the championship, Shocker fans will outnumber the horn fans

On 3/17/2019 at 7:38 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Can you imagine playing @ Furman? Scares you to death.

Furman was scrong to quite scrong.

On 3/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, Napoleon said:

-Wichita State (though they don't necessarily get 1-and-dones)

uh what

On 3/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, realgreggym said:

Not to change the subject slightly but Junior is a great reason not to sweat all of this star nonsense. Based on his offers, he probably would have been a 2 star recruit.

Yes, recruiting was exactly the same back then. There wasn’t such a thing as summer league much less AAU. And that whole internet thing. Did you know Shaq was like the 6th highest rated recruit in San Antonio. Jesus this is a dumb take.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, realgreggym said:

You basically made my point.  Abe's kids basically did what they wanted. Obviously, they had to show up for practice. When they went on road trips, the kids were told that the bus leaves for the game tomorrow at a certain time and be on it. That was it. If they didn't want to go to the shoot around the day of a night game, they didn't have to. There were no team meals. The kids got meal money and they could do whatever they wanted with it. 

Weltlich as almost every college coach in the country had rules. You went to the shoot around. You had team meals, etc. I'm not sure that there were many coaches that could have followed Abe under those circumstances. And Dodds didn't make the decision alone. He was part of a 5 man committee that chose Weltlich and he went along with the other committee members. 

Your point was that Weltcich was a good coach despite being 20 games under .500 and Abe was bad despite being 110-63. That point? Where did Weltlich coach again after here, and how did he do? And if he was so handicapped by having all these rules along with “almost every college coach in the country”, was any coach able to go above .500 in this time frame?

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Your point was that Weltcich was a good coach despite being 20 games under .500 and Abe was bad despite being 110-63. That point? Where did Weltlich coach again after here, and how did he do? And if he was so handicapped by having all these rules along with “almost every college coach in the country”, was any coach able to go above .500 in this time frame?

No. My point was that Abe deserved to be fired for things that he said.  Weltlich was a good coach but the wrong coach at the time to replace Abe. The larger point is that Abe let the kids basically do whatever they wanted and Weltlich was a more strict coach. Going from one end of the spectrum to the other wasn't a good fit and thats one of the reasons that kids left. I am well aware of what happened to him after he left Texas. I am also aware that in the coaching community if things don't go well, its tough to get another high level coaching job..