New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm in desperate need of more BYOB restaurant options inside the Loop. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Lucio's.  Collina's.  Jenni's noodle house (beer is free BYOB, wine is $4 corkage), Ruggles Green ($5 corkage), Mala Sichuan ($10 a bottle), 

Here is a list of a bunch of places:

LIST

On 6/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, elfenix said:

saw ninfas in the window a couple weeks ago.  there had been a ninfas at post oak/san felipe (NW corner, had been a ginormous oak tree back there until a few years ago).  looking at the wikipedia, i guess that was an independent licensee.  iirc that took over a carlos mencia's location (or maybe i have it the other way around).  i'll have to try los tios when it opens too

jesus I've lived in this city a long time

On 6/7/2019 at 9:10 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Vinnys is dogshit for the price. One visit was more than enough for me. Worst of the agricole hospitality group, by far

This place sucked. I’m not sure how this place is open. 

I had Pizza Hut two weeks ago at work and that was much better pizza. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 2

Went to Emmaline on Saturday.  It was fantastic.

CRUDO di PESCE BIANCO* red snapper, grilled pineapple, orange, apple, serrano, lime, cucumber

CAVIAR CICCHETTI* chilled soubise cream, fresh cut chives, brioche crisp

OYSTERS & PEARLS* bruléed east coast oysters, black garlic, la tur-fontina sauce, orange pearls 

BUCATINI alle VONGOLE littleneck clams, vino greco, garlic, pepperoncini, lemon, parsley

LAMB PAPPARDELLE overnight ragu, caponata, herbed ricotta, bread crumbs 

Already have plans to go back with the In-laws next week..

Have resv for Theo Rex for tomorrow but just looked at menu and nothing really looked my style.  I'm guessing at a place like that, you just order and everything will be good?   I heart coltivare, GJ, and Nancy's hustle to give you reference.

Am I finding nits on kate Bosworth here?

9 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Have resv for Theo Rex for tomorrow but just looked at menu and nothing really looked my style.  I'm guessing at a place like that, you just order and everything will be good?   I heart coltivare, GJ, and Nancy's hustle to give you reference.

Am I finding nits on kate Bosworth here?

This is shaggy. There’s probably dozens of incels here that will rush to tell you that Kate bosworth isn’t even hot. In fact she’s borderline ugly. No tits. 

Cant help you in the restaurant though, haven’t been myself. 

Next year's One Fifth is going to be "Gulf Coast"

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Chef-Chris-Shepherd-to-open-One-Fifth-Gulf-Coast-14091943.php

Also says that much like how One Fifth Steak became Georgia James, they're planning to turn the current Mediterranean concept into a full-time standalone after it closes at the end of July.

17 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Anyone been to Ouzo Bay yet? Menu looks incredible and it’s gotten great reviews from what I’ve seen. I guess it’s part of or affiliated with Loch Bar that @pepper brooks mentioned above?

The wife and I are going tonight. I’ll report back. 

I went last Wednesday. It was decent nothing overly memorable but the way you buy the fish is kinda confusing. They’ve only been open a couple weeks so they are still trying to work out the kinks. Nice wine list.

No time to go back and search through this thread.  Kiddo left for camp.  Need some new places to hit this week.  How is Ritual?  Menu looks awesome, and it better be to make me go all the way to the Heights and have to hear the boss lady bitching about going to the heights the entire way over there.  

12 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

No time to go back and search through this thread.  Kiddo left for camp.  Need some new places to hit this week.  How is Ritual?  Menu looks awesome, and it better be to make me go all the way to the Heights and have to hear the boss lady bitching about going to the heights the entire way over there.  

if you haven't been to 1751 you should.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

haven't been in a while, but it was always good when we went.  Had a surprisingly good meal at Mastranto's just up studewood from there.  Helen in the Heights is always terrific, but not new.  

Had an exceptional meal at T-Rex a few weeks ago.  I've been going since the early Oxheart days, and it was as good a meal as I've had there.  Nancy's was also solid.  And both places have fun wine lists.  Need to get to Squable... reports have been good.

Ritual knocked out of the park tonight. I had the wagyu strip.  Incredible. Wife had the ribeye and it was also great. Mine definitely had more flavor. Wife wasn’t drinking so i had to do btg on wine. Their wine by the glass offerings are straight shit. A perusal of their wine list was pretty solid, but I want gonna drink a bottle by myself. Pro tip, hidden gem is the Quilt cabernet at $75.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hit One Fifth:Gulf Coast last night.

Chris does such a great job with his concepts.

Food, Service, drinks....all on point.

Oysters, crab fingers, charred okra/pimento cheese,  hush puppies, catfish, remoulade salad, bbq shrimp, pecan pie chocolate cheesecake, black  key lime pie

On 8/23/2019 at 3:05 PM, royiv said:

On Welch just east of Shepherd.

Its the old Mockingbird Bistro.

Not THAT new but went to Eunice last night and the food was all great.  Highlight was the black drum with brown butter and roasted cauliflower topping.  Also the pork chop which was served like a schnitzel with kale salad on top (grated parm and meyer lemon vinaigrette) and served on top of white bean mash.  

Checked out Rosie Cannonball earlier this week.

Cool little place.

Burrata with charred tomoato and chili oil was great

I had the Steak Fiorentina.  Was a smidge over-cooked, not enough to be upset about.  Great flavor and tenderness.

Wife had the Pesto Rigatoni-  It was good.  might have been even better the next day.

Mint/Thyme Gelato was great.

We'll be back for drinks and to try the pizza

That group has a good thing going with RC, Goodnight Charlie's and Montrose Cheese and Wine.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, texasdago said:

Scrolling through the thread and I saw someone mention Los Tios.

Los Tios?

9013775-large.jpg 

On this thread?  I don't know about the new location but there's a reason they call it Gross Tios.

Man I grew up on Los Tios.  Still like their cheese enchiladas.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to the Bird Haus over in the conservatory in downtown?  I have been a few times.  The hot chicken isn't really all that hot, but it is flavorful and cooked nicely.  I will say I think they do need to fry a bit hotter as their chicken is most certainly on the greasy side.  They have good fried pickles too.  Since the spicy isn't all that hot I decide to try the Reaper once.  Mother of Hell that mother*cker was so overwhelmingly, unrelentingly, unquestionably lava hot I only got two bites into it, and had to give up.  I went and got a regular spicy.  In the meantime my mouth was on absolute fire to the point I couldn't talk and breathing hurt, and then things got really bad.  THat shit hit my stomach and it felt like I had consumed a large hunk of white hot charcoal.  I thought I was going to yak everything up, but held on and went to the restroom where my body started sweating profusely for a few minutes.  THings settled down and I went back and ate a few bites of the regular chicken when my second and much much much more intense attack hit me.  I ran to the shitter again, didn't yak anything up, but again got a bad case of the sweats and pain in my digestive tract like lava was running through me.  I started sweating to the point I was dripping and my shirt was soaked through.  THis lasted 3-5 minutes where I honestly thought I might need to go to a hospital or something.  It was unreal, and the first time anything like this has ever happened to me.  I eat spicy shit all the time.  That said, NEVER have I had anything as spicy as this nor have I ever had anything close to that kind of reaction.  I had two more similar episodes, but they were much less severe in both intensity an duration.  Bottom line, check this place out, but unless youre really into harming your health stay the f*ck away from the reaper level of spice.  Dear God.  I am afraid when the final exit comes my anus is simply going to melt.  

• Like 1

we went to doris metropolitan this weekend, and the steaks were incredible.  We did a sampler platter where we sampled 4 of their best cuts including some a5.  This steaks are phenomenal.  They may have been the best steak house steaks I have had in the city.  every cut was spectacular  On the down side, their sides just are flat out underwhelming and boring.  They're not "bad", they're just clearly not a focus or they're simply trying to appear "different" with their sides, but they just miss that mark on them for what is expected of a great steak house.  I am all for "different", but theirs are just pedestrian.  Their wine list is also by a very very very long measure a huge weak spot.  The somm there is new, and I am pretty sure I would have been a better hire, and I do not claim to be a decent somm on any level.  She told us they were about to start focusing on pouring the restaurant profits into the wine program so they obviously are aware their wine list is far from meeting expectations of a steakhouse/fine dining situation.  Coppa has a far superior list just to name one place that gets it right with their list.  we had 6 people and our bill was 1800 before grat which also seemed excessive given none of our wines were more than 180 and we only had 3 bottles.  Basically, it was a mixed bag.  Epic steaks, but everything else left a good bit to be desired.