New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Speaking of fried chicken, FM Bar and Kitchen is not new but their bird is A+.  Had 2 piece 2 side last Friday for lunch $12.  Asked for dark and got a leg and a breast.  I'll be damned, that breast was as juicy as SA's mom (am I doing this right?).  Usually I would have thrown that white meat back in their face but instead I was happy to have the larger piece.  Collard greens and broccoli/onion sides were good too.

• Like 1

Went to Candente on Friday.  It's the Tex-Mex place from the Pit Room Group.

Wasn't impressed.

They'd only been open 5 days at that point so willing to give them some slack.  It was packed.  Was told 1.5hr wait, we grabbed a spot at the hightop near the bar (open seating there) instead

Place needs better ventilation...it was smoky as hell.

Queso was ok.  I actually like Pit Rooms queso better....I assumed it would've been the same.

I got the brisket enchiladas.  They were solid but came out at slightly above room temp...same with the wife's cheese enchiladas.  Taste was good, just not hot.

Will go back once they work out some of the kinks.

Went to One Fifth last night. Everything was really good except for the gumbo, which tasted like creosote (from badly smoked ham) and vinegar. 

Also, went to Bravery food hall a few weeks ago with a big group and basically tried every place there. Not a bad or even mediocre plate from any of the places. Good wine and cocktail options. 

On 9/24/2019 at 5:17 PM, PRONG HORN said:

As long as parking at that location sucks, Velvet will dominate that corner.  FM won't last.  

This. Not enough spots and the ones that are there were made for Smart cars. As long as Velvet is there, nothing will last in the old East Hampton space. Simply not enough parking for two busy places.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, Mack Tripper said:

Went to One Fifth last night. Everything was really good except for the gumbo, which tasted like creosote (from badly smoked ham) and vinegar. 

Also, went to Bravery food hall a few weeks ago with a big group and basically tried every place there. Not a bad or even mediocre plate from any of the places. Good wine and cocktail options. 

Went to One Fifth last night and thought it was excellent.  We didn't have the gumbo, but the jambalaya was top notch.  Hush puppies and boudin balls were also memorable.  It wasn't full, which was a little surprising for a Thursday night, but we'll be going back.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Bryan Caswell appears to be flaming out spectacularly. Just announced that El Real is closing, and currently being  sued by his former partner. Also fired his now ex-wife from Reef earlier this year. Sad.

El Real employees are saying they haven't been paid or are still owed wages.

Not going well.

Bryan Caswell appears to be flaming out spectacularly. Just announced that El Real is closing, and currently being  sued by his former partner. Also fired his now ex-wife from Reef earlier this year. Sad.

Counterpoint: I had a meal at reef a couple of months ago that was really fantastic. Not sure how much equity Caswell had in el real, though it seems he’s the spokespartner. As a vendor, it still sucks hardest for the employees who will likely never see a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/29/2019 at 9:11 AM, texasdago said:

C'mon... there's a reason they call it Gross Tios.  We went once... my wife's quesadillas came out with a bite taken out of them.  True story.

True story, at the Escalante's in Highland Village three nights ago, my wife discovered a cough drop in the queso.  We eat there probably 3 times a month.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

True story, at the Escalante's in Highland Village three nights ago, my wife discovered a cough drop in the queso.  We eat there probably 3 times a month.

So the questions remains, did they drop it on there or did they cough it out and it flew into the queso.  Varying levels of nastiness.

17 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

didn't go to reef.  saw on social media that someone wanted to rent the restaurant for Saturday night and they were moving all reservations to a communal table in the bar.  not my scene.  

That's a great way to build up some goodwill after the El Real closing.  

36 minutes ago, texasdago said:

That's a great way to build up some goodwill after the El Real closing.  

right.  They didn't mention it when they called to confirm my reservation either.  I wouldn't have known unless my wife saw it on social media.  Ended up having to take the wife and kid to the galleria and ate at 5115.  that place is damn solid for a department store restaurant.  

What's this boards opinion on Nancy's Hustle.  Wife's birthday coming up and need to find a good spot - also would like to try a spot we've never been to...although that can be risky.

It’s very good. Only complaint is that it took too long to get a cocktail.

hit up 60 Vines last night in Rice Village.  they have 60 wines on their tap wall, as well as other bottles.  it was nice to see a meat and cheese board that had interesting offering such as lavender goat cheese, and in house made ricotta that didn't cost a freaking fortune.  Kid had the pizza and loved it.  Wife had the chicken Caesar which was definitely a dinner sized portion.  I had the rainbow trout with broccoli and avocado slaw and damn it was fantastic.  Service was prompt and attentive.  The wine I ordered had some pretty large sediment chunks floating in it.  I pointed this out and they quickly brought me a replacement, and then proceeded to comp my wine as well as my wife's.  I most certainly didn't expect nor want them to do that, but it was a nice gesture on their part.  100% will go back.  

Edited by pepper brooks

• 3 weeks later...

Not a new restaurant by far, but the last few times I've gone to Churrascos Memorial City the food has been outstanding. Easy to overlook some older places in search of something new, but damn if they aren't putting out good food.

Also, had Ike's Love and Sandwiches today. They make a pretty damn good sandwich. We sampled between the Soprano, Menage a Trois, Matt Cain, and Michael Jordan. All on their dutch bread which is good but they have other options. They use Pinkerton's Brisket on the Cheesesteak sandwiches and have another sandwich named for Grant as well. Will definitely give those a shot very soon. In the Heights and worth it.

Also not new and not in line with the high end restaurants which are the focus of this thread - a place that just has a great sandwich is World Catering & Bakery. No frills but just a really good sandwich/burger if you need a quick place to grab lunch. The turkey and swiss is just a good quality sandwich and I can't understand why its any better than what I can make at home, but it is. Maybe I just need my wife to make the sandwich or something. Silber just north of I-10.

Edited by HoustonHorn

great lunch spot when working the I-10 energy corridor 
Dead on. Hit it up a couple times per year for a business lunch.

I live pretty close by and only make it by for a dinner maybe once a year and every time I enjoy the hell out of it. A very good example of why it's so tough in the restaurant industry. Everyone goes to the next big thing.

My wife and i walked in on Saturday night at 7:30 with no reservation and it was not busy. Everything we had was great, there's a wide selection, and made me wonder why we don't go more often. Even my kids really like it when we've taken them.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, MAROON said:

What's this boards opinion on Nancy's Hustle.  Wife's birthday coming up and need to find a good spot - also would like to try a spot we've never been to...although that can be risky.

To follow up on this.  We went on  Sunday night and the place was hopping.

Had an Old Fashioned to start that was perfect, and we shared a bottle of one of the White French Burgundies on the menu..can't remember which, but it was nice.

We shared the Nancy Cakes, Lamb Dumplings, Ricotta Gnocchi with roasted mushrooms, and the Sirloin Tips with beef fat sticky rice.  After that we decided to skip dessert and instead ordered the Caramelized squash cappelletti in brown butter sauce - it had a nice sweetness to it that was perfect as an entree or a dessert.

Service was fantastic with our server very attentive, but not too attentive.  Perfect balance of making sure we were ok, but not a presence every ten minutes.

Will gladly return.

Edited by MAROON