New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

On 12/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, Storm the Field said:

Another tenant gonna give it a go at the ill-fated Balls Out Burger location in the Heights.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/12/9/21003419/micos-hot-chicken-opening-houston-heights

Bump. Looks like they did some major upgrades to the outdoor area, especially much needed fencing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mycox said:

Acme Oyster Hose is moving in the where El Real was. I've never been because why wait in that line when you can go to Drago's.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/5/11/21254974/acme-oyster-house-opening-houston-expansion-new-orleans

That’s a good building for something like Acme. It should do well. 

On 5/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, mycox said:

Acme Oyster Hose is moving in the where El Real was. I've never been because why wait in that line when you can go to Drago's.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/5/11/21254974/acme-oyster-house-opening-houston-expansion-new-orleans

I'd try to clone the original and drop it in the Montrose. We'll see if they can pull it off.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Correct. The owners said it was unrelated to covid and they were moving due to a much higher rent. I believe they're opening a signature location in Memorial. 

Yep. They are opening 6000 sq.ft. restaurant in the Memorial City area that will be their first to be open for dinner. Masraff’s and Texadelphia will be in same development. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yep. They are opening 6000 sq.ft. restaurant in the Memorial City area that will be their first to be open for dinner. Masraff’s and Texadelphia will be in same development. 

A little bit of a drive for me, but I'm happy Treebeard's sticking around. Also happy to see them add dinner to their offerings. Dinner at the Market Street location was very limited, and a summer only thing. 

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Was this place a cougar hot spot or something? I never understood the appeal.

earlier this year the only two cougars in the place were the two I was with (on a thursday night). hotel granduca across the street has very nice rooms, fun little bar 

7 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Went to the Wood Shed (bbq place) or whatever the fuck Love’s restaurant at Levy Park is called. Great space on a nice day but the food absolutely sucked all the way around. 

odd spot with pit room right down the street 

First Bernie's I had was one of the best burgers I've ever had. That was back when there was just the one truck. Never had one quite that good from them again.

Not sure $15 burgers can survive in this town with oil at $33 anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Way better (to me) than Burger Joint or Hubcap.  

This. The Fire Drill was a very good burger. The garlic tomatoes will be missed. 

I didn't love their prices. I can't remember them offering a happy hour or a special. 

I wish overpriced burgers and $30 fajitas a swift good bye. 

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. The Fire Drill was a very good burger. The garlic tomatoes will be missed. 

I didn't love their prices. I can't remember them offering a happy hour or a special. 

I wish overpriced burgers and $30 fajitas a swift good bye. 

Sadly, I'm seeing more restaurants re-opening with either a COVID service fee or increased prices due to supply chain issues and reduced occupancy affecting revenue. 

On 5/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, Tylerocks said:

Ragin Cajun Westheimer/Gessner is closing.  I think only the original will remain.

Dolce Vita in Montrose is closing on the 24th.  They were already planning on shutting down, but still sucks.

God

On 5/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, TonyTexas said:

Treebeard’s Download closing. 

Fucking 

On 5/26/2020 at 8:30 PM, TonyTexas said:

Barry’s Pizza closing down after 37 years. Building was a dump but the pseudo deep dish pizza was damn good. 

Dammit 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

First Bernie's I had was one of the best burgers I've ever had. That was back when there was just the one truck. Never had one quite that good from them again.

Not sure $15 burgers can survive in this town with oil at $33 anyway.

Ditto. It was at the Bone Yard (I forget the actual name) on Old Hempstead/Westcott way back in the day, early on when I had just started dating my now wife. Fucking Homeroom and the tipsy onions for the goddamn win. That had to have been a year or two even before they opened in Bellaire. 

Disagree with JS1, though, I'm a much much larger fan of Hubcap. Best Burger in Houston now that the Totem is gone. Although I've lived near the one in Shady Acres since it opened, which has to be 5-6 years now, and I've never seen more than 2-3 tables with people there, AND they aren't open on Sundays...I have no idea how Hubcap stays in business. But I'm not complaining. 

9 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

Out of all these $20 burger places I'd still take a Becks over any of them. I really dont get the hopdoddy fascination.

Beck's Prime is trash. Then again, there's no accounting for personal taste. After all, someone actually married and pro-created with Greenspoint. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

Out of all these $20 burger places I'd still take a Becks over any of them. I really dont get the hopdoddy fascination.

I can cook a better steak than Beck's Prime. They just don't season their meat correctly if at all. 

I'd say Hopdoddy is on the same level as Bernies. 

Bubba's appears to have made it. I can't imagine their rent is very much. They're located on a vacant lot underneath an overpass. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Ditto. It was at the Bone Yard (I forget the actual name) on Old Hempstead/Westcott way back in the day, early on when I had just started dating my now wife. Fucking Homeroom and the tipsy onions for the goddamn win. . 

That's funny. My first Bernie's was also at the Bone Yard while dating your now wife.
  • Haha 1

I haven’t been but you usually can trust Allison Cook, particularly when it comes to burgers. 

Alison Cook’s Burger Friday: Just GRK broke my brain and my point scale

Meat juice adorned my chin, Alison Cook writes. French fries flew every which way. A driver in the next car regarded me with something akin to horror, or maybe it was just alarm.

Alison Cook May 29, 2020Updated: May 29, 2020, 11:20 am

Greek Burger from Just GRK

Photo: Alison Cook / Staff

Yesterday was National Hamburger Day. I dislike those made-up promotional “holidays,” when journalists typically dance to the music of public relations professionals. Yet there I was, parked in a strip mall on the Interstate 10 West feeder road a couple exits past Beltway 8, gobbling a burger like a wild animal.

Meat juice adorned my chin. French fries flew every which way. A driver in the next car regarded me with something akin to horror, or maybe it was just alarm.

How, I asked myself, had it come to this?

Let me explain. Food reporting during the pandemic dictates takeout for yours truly, but takeout is not friendly to the whole burger genre. Burgers are best eaten on the spot, hot off the grill, while the meat juices are still seething quietly and the toasted buns, melted cheese and fresh ingredients, if any, are at their best. There’s a short window of excellence, followed by a long curve of diminishing pleasure.

So I had resolved to eat my first few bites of every takeout burger (and every French fry order) right there in the restaurant’s parking lot, the better to judge its merits fairly.

More Information

Just GRK

11325 Interstate 10 W., 832-623-6048; justgrk.com

But my first bite of the Greek Burger from Just GRK, the distinguished little Greek grill, set off something primal in my brain, and I just couldn’t stop at a couple of bites. Without really meaning to, I scarfed down the whole thing. Here’s why:

PRICE: $12.95 for the Greek Burger with hand-cut fries; $1 for the cheese option.

ORDERING: Just GRK has a detailed, efficient online ordering option set up on their website. I opened an account for myself, placed my order — marveling that they actually gave me the option to specify degree of doneness — plugged in a pickup time, and paid via credit card. (There’s no option for leaving a tip, my only sorrow.)

My food was ready right on the dot, handed to me through the passenger side window when I called their number to say I had arrived.

ARCHITECTURE: Salad stuff, in the form of a tomato, on top; and on the side, in the form of a quick-pickled house cucumber relish. On a shiny, toasted bun goes a thick beef patty, a thin mantle of Greek white cheese, a slice of tomato and a healthy schmear of garlic sauce. That’s it.

QUALITY: I loved everything about this burger, from the expansive, juice-splooshing clarity of the tall, aggressively seared beef patty; to the lively seasoning; to the lush tomato slice; to the thick, assertive garlic sauce. This marvelous substance is the kind of condiment you’d expect to find on a gyros or shawarma sandwich, the kind of stuff that makes aioli seem prissy in comparison.

If the garlic sauce sounds scary to you, you can opt out of it on the burger ordering form. Or just order a regular burger. But I found the Greek Burger uniquely satisfying, with the primacy of its good beef, its expert cooking, its thin slice of salty Greek cheese, and its essential simplicity. It really did speak to some primitive part of my brain, and I was helpless to stop eating once I had begun.

OOZE RATING: Glorious.

LETTER GRADE: A ++. This burger broke my brain, and my point scale.

BONUS POINTS: Very good, crisp hand-cut fries complete the burger picture here. They seem to be more highly seasoned than they once were, which meant I wound up eating less of them, but they are very nicely made. And get this: to keep them from sweating and wilting inside their styrofoam clamshell, a staffer had stabbed the top of the container with a fork to make dozens of tiny holes, so that the expanse looked like a distant galaxy. It worked!

SUPER EXTRA BONUS POINTS: I got a chance to take home a quartet of Just GRK’s scintillating dips (tzatziki, eggplant, skordalia and kefalotiri, a red-peppered feta whip), along with three pita rounds’ worth of fresh pita triangles. Not to mention two lovely spanakopita turnovers, filled with spinach and feta, their envelopes a delicate crunch.

LOCAL COLOR: The strip center parking lot in which I ate offers few thrills. But seeing the friendly faces of brother-sister team Chris and Anastasia Nikolas, even half hidden behind their face masks, meant everything to me. The corners of their eyes crinkled up in welcoming smiles, and I am pretty sure mine did, too.

alison.cook@chron.com

twitter.com/alisoncook

Edited by TonyTexas