New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

28 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Ike's Sandwiches on Heights Blvd appears to be temporarily closed. This is devastating news. 

Wtf? They were packed even during all of this bs.

I can’t make heads or tails of it. Ike’s app says Heights location is closed. So does Google. 

On 5/29/2020 at 3:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I can’t make heads or tails of it. Ike’s app says Heights location is closed. So does Google. 

Must have been a temp. closure for repairs or something. I tried to go today for lunch. Not a single parking spot to be found in the complex and a line out the door at Ike's.

Called an audible and decided to finally go try a chicken sandwich at Mico's. Every table in the yard was occupied and there were probably 15 people in a line wrapping around the side of the building waiting to order. 

Moral of the story is don't bother trying to get a sandwich in the Heights any time around 1 on a Saturday. 

31 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Must have been a temp. closure for repairs or something. I tried to go today for lunch. Not a single parking spot to be found in the complex and a line out the door at Ike's.

Called an audible and decided to finally go try a chicken sandwich at Mico's. Every table in the yard was occupied and there were probably 15 people in a line wrapping around the side of the building waiting to order. 

Moral of the story is don't bother trying to get a sandwich in the Heights any time around 1 on a Saturday. 

i had mico's at the start of this and decided i should try the hotter end of the scale next time.  definitely worth going back tho.  just really haven't been anywhere.  about to go an entire calendar month without getting gas, which i haven't done since undergrad, if even then.  helps that trucks keep coming by. 

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Thank goodness. 

Eater's got an updated list of restaurants that closed for good. Hadn't heard about some of these yet:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/5/20/21264894/houston-restaurants-closed-permanently-during-coronavirus-pandemic

Sucks about America's. Wife and I usually went once or twice a year. Her family always wanted to go when visting from out of town.

And definitely bummed about Frank's Backyard. That was my go-to place for Astros pre-gaming. 

17 minutes ago, huge said:

Fajitas for 2 is $15 on Wednesday at Pistoleros and they are actually great. Plenty of food, comes with Fixins and rice/beans

Also $4 margs til 8 M-F

You’re welcome.

they got take out at those prices?

Edited by elfenix

12 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Petrol Station shutting down. They had a tasty burger. 

Did they ever improve the food service? I ordered a burger a year back and they told me to come back in 45 minuets. Non-optimal. 

Wakefield Dr gives me the curse vibes. How does any bar fail on that street? Plenty have. It’s surrounded by cross fit gyms and soccer dads. Plus adult softball and kick ball is right next door in the park. That’s primo clientele. Crow Bar found their niche by hosting adult sand volleyball leagues. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

We'll see. That location hasn't done well. Possible curse. 

Barnaby’s did great there. Had to move because the lease was up and a new tenant offered to pay double rent (apparently MF Sushi if that’s what is goin in there). Barnaby’s was given the option of staying if they paid the double tent; they declined. We will see how well a high end sushi place does there.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Barnaby’s did great there. Had to move because the lease was up and a new tenant offered to pay double rent (apparently MF Sushi if that’s what is goin in there). Barnaby’s was given the option of staying if they paid the double tent; they declined. We will see how well a high end sushi place does there.

Between both newer hand roll places, the high end korean place going in across the street, moku bar next door, Kin Dee (which is fantastic), and Be More Pacific (which is also fantastic), the heights is getting quite asian

46 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Damn, going to miss the Rancor burger. 

I had one a few months back and it was a shadow of how good that burger used to be.  Dry overcooked meat, subpar quality toppings, etc.  Even the beer selection/quality was meh - typical Texas/Houston beers you can get anywhere.  Petrol used to be great, but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while.

7 minutes ago, texasfight2025 said:

I had one a few months back and it was a shadow of how good that burger used to be.  Dry overcooked meat, subpar quality toppings, etc.  Even the beer selection/quality was meh - typical Texas/Houston beers you can get anywhere.  Petrol used to be great, but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while.

Agree with this.  The last time I was in there it was jarring.  It was like it had a new owner that didnt GAF.

Oh well, throw it in the gutter, go buy anutter.

16 minutes ago, mycox said:

Never wad a fan of Pistoleros food, but the fajitas sound intriguing. 

Agree, I had not been in over 2 years. 

Im a fan now.  And the $4 margs are good.

They also do a $6 burger and fries on Thursday that is a ton of food.  Could be split.

3 hours ago, texasfight2025 said:

Yep. Buddy of mine knows a bunch of the Petrol staff and said COVID was just the final nail in the coffin. Poorly managed and food quality had definitely gone downhill. I loved Petrol but it's like they went out of their way to scare off all customers except for devoted regulars. Extremely long wait times for food, tiny little nasty bathroom...etc.

That is such a great location especially now that that little corner of Wakefield has really blossomed over the past few years. With some money put into making the facility more appealing, improving the kitchen...etc., a properly-managed bar and grill could do very well. 

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Between both newer hand roll places, the high end korean place going in across the street, moku bar next door, Kin Dee (which is fantastic), and Be More Pacific (which is also fantastic), the heights is getting quite asian

We're also getting our first Viet-Cajun place, across Shepherd opposite 11th street Kroger.

Some closures from the Pappas Group. 
Yia Yia Mary’s Mediterranean Kitchen (4747 San Felipe in the Galleria neighborhood), Pappas Seafood House (11301 I-45 North at Aldine Bender), Pappas Shrimp Shack (6945 I-45 at Woodridge), Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen (2410 Richmond near Kirby), and Little Pappas Seafood House (3001 S. Shepherd at West Alabama) are all closed, Pappas spokeswoman Christina Pappas confirmed Friday.

This study says up to 85% of independent restaurants may fail. Granted this report was commissioned by a restaurant coalition looking for some Fed bailout, it’s still sobering. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrisfurnari/2020/06/16/report-without-federal-aid-85-of-independent-restaurants-could-permanently-close/amp/

Edited by TonyTexas

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Some closures from the Pappas Group. 
Yia Yia Mary’s Mediterranean Kitchen (4747 San Felipe in the Galleria neighborhood), Pappas Seafood House (11301 I-45 North at Aldine Bender), Pappas Shrimp Shack (6945 I-45 at Woodridge), Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen (2410 Richmond near Kirby), and Little Pappas Seafood House (3001 S. Shepherd at West Alabama) are all closed, Pappas spokeswoman Christina Pappas confirmed Friday.

This study says up to 85% of independent restaurants may fail. Granted this report was commissioned by a restaurant coalition looking for some Fed bailout, it’s still sobering. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrisfurnari/2020/06/16/report-without-federal-aid-85-of-independent-restaurants-could-permanently-close/amp/

RIP Yia Yia Mary’s. I ate there on New Years Eve last year. I’m glad I did. Terrific lamb lollipops. 

Little Pappas seafood house and pappadeaux menus were too similar for me to think both those locations would survive just blocks away from each other. Guess the land under both is too valuable to keep.

Only time i've ever gotten a pearl in an oyster was at that little Pappas seafood house. /Csb

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 1:13 AM, elfenix said:

Little Pappas seafood house and pappadeaux menus were too similar for me to think both those locations would survive just blocks away from each other. Guess the land under both is too valuable to keep.

Only time over ever gotten a pearl in an oyster was at that little Pappas seafood house. /Csb

Apparently the Little Pappas Seafood House was a test kitchen for new menu items.  I am guessing their small footprint and the 50% capacity limitation did not make the math work for profitability.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:11 PM, huge said:

Fajitas for 2 is $15 on Wednesday at Pistoleros and they are actually great. Plenty of food, comes with Fixins and rice/beans

Also $4 margs til 8 M-F

You’re welcome.

Interesting.  We're right around the corner and haven't been there in years.  Never really understood how it was still in bidness...

On 6/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

MF Sushi coming to the Heights

Looks like this will actually be a new, more casual concept than MF.

The minds behind Houston raw fish favorite MF Sushi will soon debut a brand new restaurant called Ume in the Heights.

Chef Chris Kinjo tells Eater that if all goes according to plan, Ume will open in the former Barnaby’s Cafe space at 2802 White Oak Drive in the next couple of months. “I’m just helping a couple of my chefs do their own thing,” Kinjo said. “They are MF-trained. I’m going to let them run it and get creative. I’ll just assist them in whatever they need to be successful,” he says.

Ume, which means “plum blossom” in Japanese, will occupy a 3,000 square foot space that Kinjo designed himself, planning a spot that’s a little more casual than the upscale MF Sushi. The reservation-only dining room will seat 60, along with a bar and dining area with 30 seats reserved for walk-ins only, and an eight-seat sushi bar. “They are going to do MF-style cuisine, but with no omakase,” he says. “I will probably be there once or twice a week, just to work as a chef.”

Edited by Storm the Field

On 6/18/2020 at 11:11 PM, huge said:

Also $4 margs til 8 M-F

You’re welcome.

Temporarily closed along with several others

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/more-houston-restaurants-announce-temporary-15356964