New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

21 hours ago, huge said:

Anyone been to UB Preserve yet?  Anything to report?

I went last night for a casual dinner with the wife (no pics).  We sat at the bar.  It was very good, but not mind-blowing enough to say that I'll be running back there to do it again immediately.  

We had the pork dumplings, which were of course excellent, a daily special curry dish with singing scallops, the BBQ ribs and a side of collard greens.  All very good.  The space is solid but not spectacular, and the timing of the dishes coming out could have been better.  Definitely on my go-to list, but not life-changing.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:18 PM, Planet Houston said:

I went last night for a casual dinner with the wife (no pics).  We sat at the bar.  It was very good, but not mind-blowing enough to say that I'll be running back there to do it again immediately.  

We had the pork dumplings, which were of course excellent, a daily special curry dish with singing scallops, the BBQ ribs and a side of collard greens.  All very good.  The space is solid but not spectacular, and the timing of the dishes coming out could have been better.  Definitely on my go-to list, but not life-changing.

Might be in the area Saturday night, would it be a waste of time trying to get in bar area and eat or will it be manageable?  

Going to T Rex for first time Friday night and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bularry1 said:

Going to T Rex for first time Friday night and I'm looking forward to it.

It's spectacular.  I have also heard T Rex has a private, speakeasy type bar around the corner for patrons awaiting tables.  I haven't been, but it might be worth getting there early to figure it out. 

On 5/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

It's spectacular.  I have also heard T Rex has a private, speakeasy type bar around the corner for patrons awaiting tables.  I haven't been, but it might be worth getting there early to figure it out. 

You are correct, food was spectacular and they have a "waiting lounge".  We had reservations, so didn't go into the lounge and didn't even know about it until we walked outside to meet our Uber and we saw a waitress bringing a couple out of there.  

Absolutely loved our meal.  Delicate and interesting and layers of flavor at every turn.

UB Preserv Saturday

Got the dumplings (pretty good)

Crispy Rice salad (outstanding)

Pork Laap (good and spicy lettuce wrap)

Old fashioned was nothing special, but fine

We sat in the bar.  It was pretty crowded and the service was great.

Nobies is great, especially if you get along with the people sitting near you.  Communal experience.

Went to Gus's Fried Chicken last night.  Across the street from B&B Butcher.  Everything was good other than the size of the pieces.  Legs and thighs for ants.  Great flavor though.  Wonder if it is a sourcing thing.  I don't remember that being an issue at all in Memphis, so its not their "thing" I don't think.

3 piece dark with beans (tastes like gussied up baked beans from a can) and cole slaw (decent) with a slice of good white breat $8.39.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Any suggestions for a birthday dinner on a Sunday? Looking to spend a little dough, probably not something like BCN prices though. A good wine list is important to me.  

I'm a little late on this, but State of Grace has a good "Sunday Supper" that is $29 for 3+ courses (biscuits with smoked ham, salad, entree, 3 sides, dessert). 

Edited by Mack Tripper

2 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

I'm a little late on this, but State of Grace has a good "Sunday Supper" that is $29 for 3+ courses (biscuits with smoked ham, salad, entree, 3 sides, dessert). 

We go all the time after church on Sunday.  It’s a very good value as we end up sharing a couple entrees (two adults and two kids)

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

We go all the time after church on Sunday.  It’s a very good value as we end up sharing a couple entrees (two adults and two kids)

Also excellent hh in the oyster bar.  $1 oysters from places other than the gulf.

Pape Genos is open in Montrose.

East Hampton Sandwich Company will soon be open soon next to Velvet Taco.

For some strange reason a lot of you like Texadelphia. There will be one opening where the Yucatan Taco Stand used to be.

9 hours ago, elfenix said:
On 5/31/2018 at 9:05 PM, Lobwedgephil said:
East Hampton Sandwich Company opened tonight in River Oaks shopping center. Dallas places and first of a few locations here in Houston. Went to the soft opening last night and everything was really good. 
https://www.ehsandwich.com/menu/

River Oaks district != River Oaks shopping center.

My bad. 

On 6/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, mycox said:

Pape Genos is open in Montrose.

East Hampton Sandwich Company will soon be open soon next to Velvet Taco.

For some strange reason a lot of you like Texadelphia. There will be one opening where the Yucatan Taco Stand used to be.

Really missed texadelphia, glad it’s coming back.

Made the trip back to TX and Houston.  Hit Ritual and Hay Merchant among others with my team.

Ritual was excellent but I wasn't terribly hungry so some of it was wasted on me.  Won't make that mistake again.

The braised goat and dumplings at Hay Merchant was excellent.  Loved every bite.

Stayed at the new Post Oak Hotel and really enjoyed it.  Very nice and over the top service.

Pretty good talent at the pool as well.

Tried to go see Champkind but couldn't fit it in....next time.

• Like 2

UB Preserve was not good. Reminded me of Underbelly. Completely underwhelming.

pork dumplings - meh

octopus - bad

duck egg curry - ok

queso fundido - excellent

cocktails were fantastic, however. And service and space were tight. They did a good job using the old poscol place.

also, goodnight charlies sucks. Place will be closed in a year or two. Cocktails were trash and the space was left open to the outside when it was 98 degrees outside. Dumb

• Like 2

Tried the new La Vista 101 on 18th across from Hughies.

Pretty impressive transformation of an old Pizza Hut. There was close to a 45 minute wait Friday night, but we managed to find a high top near the bar and skip the wait. 

Food was above-average, but not spectacular, and priced accordingly, IMO. Nice to have another mid-scale option in the area. Cost for appetizer, large entree for 2, decent bottle of wine and some very good tiramisu came out to right around $80.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

UB Preserve was not good. Reminded me of Underbelly. Completely underwhelming.

pork dumplings - meh

octopus - bad

duck egg curry - ok

queso fundido - excellent

cocktails were fantastic, however. And service and space were tight. They did a good job using the old poscol place.

opposite of huge's take (except on service).  no offense, I'll take his opinion

• Like 1

also, goodnight charlies sucks. Place will be closed in a year or two. Cocktails were trash and the space was left open to the outside when it was 98 degrees outside. Dumb

I will echo the heat factor.  I went last weekend and it was just too fucking hot inside.

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Nobu was fantastic, but it might be the most expensive restaurant in town. 6 plates + toro belly pieces x 2 + sake + tip = $300 for two people

All top end sushi places can get damn pricey.  A guy told me at FM Sushi the chef's tasting will run $240+ per person or something like that.  damn.  

Surprised the cocktails were bad with Keck in charge.

Goodnight Charlies will stick around because the guy knows what he is doing and will listen to customer feedback. Keck is also opening three new places next door. All three sound interesting and will be wine focussed.

3 hours ago, bularry1 said:

All top end sushi places can get damn pricey.  A guy told me at FM Sushi the chef's tasting will run $240+ per person or something like that.  damn.  

True, but we're talking just ordering regular dishes off the menu, not omakase, which is probably just obscene at Nobu. 

On 5/30/2018 at 4:59 PM, Johnny Sack said:

thanks for this tip.  Sounds like the perfect way to wind down a Father's Day.  Booked a reservations for this Sunday.

We did Kata Robata Monday night and went early for the happy hour specials (ends at 6:30) since my son is away at camp and hates sushi but my 6 year old daughter loves it.  Their Monday happy hour has some outstanding values and wine by the glass is also half price.  They have a good Sancerre my wife likes by the glass.  We got out with the tip for less than $100 and ordered a ton of food.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Ha.  We are going there too after church.  Reservation is for 12:30.  

I'm going in the evening because I was under the impression the Sunday Supper menu only started at 5:00.  Is that not true?

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We did Kata Robata Monday night and went early for the happy hour specials (ends at 6:30) since my son is away at camp and hates sushi but my 6 year old daughter loves it.  Their Monday happy hour has some outstanding values and wine by the glass is also half price.  They have a good Sancerre my wife likes by the glass.  We got out with the tip for less than $100 and ordered a ton of food.

definitely a good way to do it.   

• 2 weeks later...

This might work.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/6/27/17510878/kau-ba-saigon-kitchen-nikki-tran-opening-july-2018
Kau Ba Saigon Kitchen, the Montrose restaurant from Vietnamese chef Nikki Tran, is preparing to open its doors next month.

A representative for the restaurant tells Eater that Kau Ba Saigon Kitchen will make its debut before the end of July, bringing Tran’s unique fusion of Cajun and Vietnamese — or as she calls it, “Viejun” — cuisine to Space City. As Eater reported in March, the restaurant will open inside the space formerly occupied by recently-departed wine bar Bacchus at 2502 Dunlavy Street.

The menu isn’t finalized just yet, but diners can expect a “retro, Saigon pre-1975” vibe at Kau Ba Saigon Kitchen, and dishes that fuse the culinary traditions of both Vietnam and Houston. Tran’s cuisine earned raves from chef and food personality David Chang, who featured her Ho Chi Minh City restaurant Ca Ba Quan in the first season of his Neflix show Ugly Delicious.

Kau Ba Saigon Kitchen is expected to arrive on July 21. Stay tuned for more details on what the menu will look like.

3 hours ago, mycox said:

Tran’s cuisine earned raves from chef and food personality David Chang, who featured her Ho Chi Minh City restaurant Ca Ba Quan in the first season of his Neflix show Ugly Delicious.

her food looked really good on there