New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

On 6/18/2020 at 11:37 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Did they ever improve the food service? I ordered a burger a year back and they told me to come back in 45 minuets. Non-optimal. 

Wakefield Dr gives me the curse vibes. How does any bar fail on that street? Plenty have. It’s surrounded by cross fit gyms and soccer dads. Plus adult softball and kick ball is right next door in the park. That’s primo clientele. Crow Bar found their niche by hosting adult sand volleyball leagues. 

It's called Covid 19, id assume. Even with lower quality, it was still packed with families out back on weekends and evenings. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

The namesake of Tony's Mexican died yesterday. RIP.

Not my favorite place, but I love Mexican food for breakfast. 

RIP. You have to respect a guy that was so open with his faith. I think they might be the only restaurant in Houston with Bible verses printed on their sign. 

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Isn’t it a stand-alone place?

Yes.  A building that used to house several bars I had been to over the years.

I am surprised to see you make that comment.  Pretty sure you dont stay round these parts...

1 hour ago, huge said:

Yes.  A building that used to house several bars I had been to over the years.

I am surprised to see you make that comment.  Pretty sure you dont stay round these parts...

I'm in Dallas but I ate there last month while helping my youngest find an apartment.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

RIP. You have to respect a guy that was so open with his faith. I think they might be the only restaurant in Houston with Bible verses printed on their sign. 

And then serving margartitas to the heathen and the faithful alike.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the most important food family in Houston. Extended family opened dozens of restaurants  including Carrabas, Ninfa’s and Ragin Cajun to name a few. I saw a restaurant family tree once and it was mind boggling  

Edited by TonyTexas

On 7/19/2020 at 9:32 PM, TonyTexas said:

Probably the most important food family in Houston. Extended family opened dozens of restaurants  including Carrabas, Ninfa’s and Ragin Cajun to name a few. I saw a restaurant family tree once and it was mind boggling  

mandolatree-1024x778.jpg

• Like 3

^

That must have been made before Johnny Carrabba opened Grace's and Mia's Table. 

Speaking of, not earth shattering but the Memorial City Mia's Table and Torchy's are about to open. The Kirby Ice House next to them had opened and then had to close. 

Edited by Mack Tripper

55 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

^

That must have been made before Johnny Carrabba opened Grace's and Mia's Table. 

Speaking of, not earth shattering but the Memorial City Mia's Table and Torchy's are about to open. The Kirby Ice House next to them had opened and then had to close. 

Repeat after me at Mia’s Table: “I’ll have the chicken fried chicken please.” 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Luke is a dick.  Met him at the Cajun a few times.  Just a entitled pompass ass attitude always. 

I gave him one of my old Ole Miss baseball helmets to add to their collection behind the bar at their Gessner and Westheimer store (that recently closed) when I moved back to Houston in 2007.  I called and asked him if I could have it back the other day, because I wanted to give it to my son, and he offered sell it back to me.  Fortunately, I went to school with Dom, and he's trying to find it.

Edited by Homesickhorn
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I gave him one of my old Ole Miss baseball helmets to add to their collection behind the bar at their Gessner and Westheimer store (that recently closed) when I moved back to Houston in 2007.  I called and asked him if I could have it back the other day, because I wanted to give it to my son, and he offered sell it back to me.  Fortunately, I went to school with Dom, and he's trying to find it.

Dude is POS. I get along with anyone really but not that guy.   He’s got bad juju vibe all over him.  Wait gestner westheimer closed?!  Fuck!   I was always amazed that the same bartenders worked their for like ten years, that’s sad.  Loved the place

Edited by Hook1997

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Dude is POS. I get along with anyone really but not that guy.   He’s got bad juju vibe all over him.  Wait gestner westheimer closed?!  Fuck!   I was always amazed that the same bartenders worked their for like ten years, that’s sad.  Loved the place

The only decent Ragin’ Cajun locations were Richmond and Westheimer and Gessner. Solid Thanksgiving menu. Decent jambalaya and gumbo. Terrific Thanksgiving catering menu. They’ve always had tiny crawfish, even in peak season, simply unexplainable. 

22 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

that's a dick move lulz. hope you get it back 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, Homesickhorn said:

Definition of an asshole right there. 

I’ve worked in downtown for almost 15 years now and have been to my office exactly once since mid March. The tunnel eateries and Park Shops food court has to have been wiped out by now, right? Sad, but most of those places were already struggling before Covid. 

Several are open. Three of the restaurants in the Understory below the new BofA building are open. Several places below Pennzoil Place are open. Otto’s and the Tex-mex restaurant below Chase Tower are open and several places under the Esperson Buildings are open. I’ve been going to my office every day since around early May.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

very solid lunch spot 

If we’re talking gyros, Ekko’s On Richmond is probably my favorite outside of the Houston Greek Festival. 

I forgot about Jonathan’s The Rub. Two locations in Memorial. Love that place. The original location was BYOB with inexpensive family style options. 

I also really like Goode Co. Cantina. I think it’s better than El Tiempo in the high end Mexican food category. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm in Memorial.

Pizaro's

Just GRK

White Elm

Goode Co. Seafood

Goode Co. Cantina

Cascabel 

Original Ninfa's Uptown

Impero Italiano

BB Italia

Piola

Jonathan's the Rub (2 locations)

Sushi Jin

Sal y Pimienta 

Bori and bunch of other Korean places north of 10

Gyu Kaku

Kuu

State Fare

Liberty Kitchen Treehouse (used to be subpar but State Fare people are taking it over)

Burgers: Pappas, Hopdoddy, Grub, Becks

Cao Bao

Krazy Katsu

Izakaya Wa

Pepper Twins

Pappy's

Original Carrabba's on Voss

I've always been underwhelmed with Lynn's. You're better off at Pappas Bros, Perry's (Memorial City, not Woodlands) and all the other chains that are in the area. 

Coming soon:

Mia's Table

Masraff's

Treebeard's

Texadelphia

• Hook 'Em 1

alison cook raved about just grk's burger

But my first bite of the Greek Burger from Just GRK, the distinguished little Greek grill, set off something primal in my brain, and I just couldn’t stop at a couple of bites. Without really meaning to, I scarfed down the whole thing. Here’s why:

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/alison-cook-s-burger-friday-just-grk-in-west-15303127

• Hook 'Em 1