Piola

Jonathan's the Rub (2 locations)

Sushi Jin

Sal y Pimienta 

Bori and bunch of other Korean places north of 10

Gyu Kaku

Kuu

State Fare

Liberty Kitchen Treehouse (used to be subpar but State Fare people are taking it over)

Burgers: Pappas, Hopdoddy, Grub, Becks

Cao Bao

Krazy Katsu

Izakaya Wa

Pepper Twins

Pappy's

Original Carrabba's on Voss

I've always been underwhelmed with Lynn's. You're better off at Pappas Bros, Perry's (Memorial City, not Woodlands) and all the other chains that are in the area. 

Coming soon:

Mia's Table

Masraff's

Treebeard's

Texadelphia

Is there a timeline on Treebeards On Bunker Hill opening? It’s been “coming soon” for awhile. 

Thanks for the recs. Any good dive bars/laid back spots in Memorial or out that way on Richmond/Westheimer? I’ve heard good things about the Hideaway on Dunvale. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is there a timeline on Treebeards On Bunker Hill opening? It’s been “coming soon” for awhile. 

Thanks for the recs. Any good dive bars/laid back spots in Memorial or out that way on Richmond/Westheimer? I’ve heard good things about the Hideaway on Dunvale. 

Yesterday, I drove by the building where Treebeards, Masraff's, and Texadelphia are going in and all three had a lot of work going on. Shouldn't be too much longer. 

As far as bars, there's By Popular Demand on Memorial, Kirby Icehouse on Gessner, Westchase Tavern, Radio Milano at City Centre. There's also a super laid back place in Spring Branch called Lazy Oaks Beer Garden that is north of 10, between Gessner and the Beltway that has food and a full bar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For decades, the go-to dive bar in that area was Ron's Pub (Fountain View at San Felipe). The kind of place that Memorial kids now in their 40's had been going to since they snuck in underage in high school.

Currently closed it appears.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2020 at 10:49 PM, Mack Tripper said:
I'm in Memorial.
Pizaro's
Just GRK
White Elm
Goode Co. Seafood
Goode Co. Cantina
Cascabel 
Original Ninfa's Uptown
Impero Italiano
BB Italia
Piola
Jonathan's the Rub (2 locations)
Sushi Jin
Sal y Pimienta 
Bori and bunch of other Korean places north of 10
Gyu Kaku
Kuu
State Fare
Liberty Kitchen Treehouse (used to be subpar but State Fare people are taking it over)
Burgers: Pappas, Hopdoddy, Grub, Becks
Cao Bao
Krazy Katsu
Izakaya Wa
Pepper Twins
Pappy's
Original Carrabba's on Voss
I've always been underwhelmed with Lynn's. You're better off at Pappas Bros, Perry's (Memorial City, not Woodlands) and all the other chains that are in the area. 

Coming soon:
Mia's Table
Masraff's
Treebeard's
Texadelphia

I don’t like Goode Co Seafood as much since they moved. They lost the redfish bites which were awesome.

Sam’s burgers fries and pies
Juarez (eating take out enchiladas from there while slightly drunk on their tasty margaritas right now)
Avalon Diner is good for weekends after church
I’ve been meaning to try the Cuban place near Memorial and Dairy Ashford but I’ve heard it’s good

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 9/7/2020 at 10:47 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

If we’re talking gyros, Ekko’s On Richmond is probably my favorite outside of the Houston Greek Festival. 

I forgot about Jonathan’s The Rub. Two locations in Memorial. Love that place. The original location was BYOB with inexpensive family style options. 

I also really like Goode Co. Cantina. I think it’s better than El Tiempo in the high end Mexican food category. 

Listen to this guy, he knows what he’s talking about. 

On 9/7/2020 at 11:08 PM, Mack Tripper said:

Yesterday, I drove by the building where Treebeards, Masraff's, and Texadelphia are going in and all three had a lot of work going on. Shouldn't be too much longer.

I would never leave a combo Texadelphia Treebeards. The Montrose Texadelphia and downtown Treebeards closing and moving out to the Beltway is one of the worst things that has ever happened. 

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t like Goode Co Seafood as much since they moved. They lost the redfish bites which were awesome.

Sam’s burgers fries and pies
Juarez (eating take out enchiladas from there while slightly drunk on their tasty margaritas right now)
Avalon Diner is good for weekends after church
I’ve been meaning to try the Cuban place near Memorial and Dairy Ashford but I’ve heard it’s good

I love Sam’s Burger and Pie. The only turkey burger I’ll eat. Really good key lime pie. 

Most of the places have been mentioned, but Union Kitchen and Dish Society (Hot chicken sandwich is great) are right there on Memorial as well. Roostar is at Gessner and Long Point just north of I-10. State Fare has some good eats and everyone forgets about it but Churrascos is upstairs from SF. Still excellent and never crowded. Urban American Kitchen is at Kirkwood/Memorial and solid.

Sam's B&P has always been hit or miss for me.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:08 PM, Mack Tripper said:

As far as bars, there's By Popular Demand on Memorial, Kirby Icehouse on Gessner, Westchase Tavern, Radio Milano at City Centre. There's also a super laid back place in Spring Branch called Lazy Oaks Beer Garden that is north of 10, between Gessner and the Beltway that has food and a full bar. 

The Branch on Longpoint just east of Wirt is a decent little place if you live in the area, Cobble and Spoke off Blalock was a great beer bar but I dont think theyve opened since covid

17 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I would never leave a combo Texadelphia Treebeards. The Montrose Texadelphia and downtown Treebeards closing and moving out to the Beltway is one of the worst things that has ever happened. 

That place was not good at all. The only thing that would have made it tolerable would have been hammocks.

4 minutes ago, mycox said:

That place was not good at all. The only thing that would have made it tolerable would have been hammocks.

Technically the Montrose Texasdelphia isn't moving to the west side, which is owned by the guys who have the Texadelphia in the Vintage. 

Edited by Mack Tripper

On 9/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, Mack Tripper said:

I've always preferred Sam's Deli Diner to Sam's. 

For cheap/old school Tex-Mex there is La Plaza on Bingle and Long Point and the two La Fiesta locations are pretty solid. 

West Houston restaurant talk not going away. 

I've been meaning to try Sam's deli.  I've been eating at La Fiesta since my parents started taking us to the original on Sunday after church.  It's still run by the same family and has been solid for the 45+  years I've been going.  It's my daughter's second favorite Tex-Mex place.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Memorial move is all but done. I’ll see y’all out there when things return to normal, hopefully. 

Ah... now I know why you were bagging on me on the other thread.  Hey... but I used to live in the Memorial area - grew up there - hit me up with any questions on food.  Mack Tripper's list is mostly legit. I do miss me some Izaka Wa.  We could walk there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The strip center where Nidda Thai was on Westheimer was redone, so they had been closed for a while.  I noticed the sign went back up a couple of weeks ago...and now is gone.  I hope it's just a change out of the sign and not that it's gone for good.

Voo Doo Doughnuts is apparently going in that center too.  Hopefully next to Nidda and not replacing.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, Mack Tripper said:

I've always preferred Sam's Deli Diner to Sam's. 

For cheap/old school Tex-Mex there is La Plaza on Bingle and Long Point and the two La Fiesta locations are pretty solid. 

West Houston restaurant talk not going away. 

I agree with this post.  I miss Henry at Sam’s Deli Diner. He was a hoot.  Gone too soon. 

On 9/16/2020 at 3:06 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've been meaning to try Sam's deli.  I've been eating at La Fiesta since my parents started taking us to the original on Sunday after church.  It's still run by the same family and has been solid for the 45+  years I've been going.  It's my daughter's second favorite Tex-Mex place.

Good to hear La Fiesta. It’s been a few years. We’d eat lunch there when I offices at the Technip building.