New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Good to hear La Fiesta. It’s been a few years. We’d eat lunch there when I offices at the Technip building. 

Took my daughter there last night. Had a crispy taco, cheese enchilada, and a beef enchilada. It was great as usual. She loves it that their crispy tacos are in little bowl shells.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I office off post oak.  Going to grab that family pack and take home for dinner.  Good prices.

and easy shot from galleria/uptown area.  i office on woodway so exit 18th, come back taking the hidden ramp to 610 from the ramp to 10 coming back off 18th.  barely even have to be on 610. 

Smokey Cheeks: 2x OG tacos and cup corn. Nice smoke flavor on the tacos, couldn't really taste the blueberry ghost pepper sauce. Adding it to the takeout lunch list.

cf51cabbbd8be09f48db3cfd99aafd33.jpg

I had an OG and a plain Barbacoa with onions/cilantro. The smoke is nice, but to me the meat is on the dry side considering it’s cheek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, elfenix said:

Smokey Cheeks: 2x OG tacos and cup corn. Nice smoke flavor on the tacos, couldn't really taste the blueberry ghost pepper sauce. Adding it to the takeout lunch list.

cf51cabbbd8be09f48db3cfd99aafd33.jpg

Live in spring branch, had driven by this place many times on way to banh mi n more (recommend) and finally swung by.  Got tacos and a baked potato.  I'd say good, well priced, not fantastic, but convenient.  Good enough as a lunch place that it is now added to my rotation for sure.  Habanero cream sauce is legit.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:28 PM, b_p said:

Might’ve missed it but any opinions on Bludorn?

Went a couple of weeks ago.  Everything we had was very good.  We did the flaming dessert for the wife's insta post.  Not sure about the social distancing...it felt very lively (which was actually kind of fun since that is so rare these days).  

I recommend if you are comfortable with it.

Got the build your own OG beef cheek taco with the pink habanero sauce  and the green chile chicken taco.

Both were good.  Will go back and try other stuff.

This joint is far better than the nasty Checker's that used to be in the building there. All of the Checker's nastiness go sucked into the Frank's Grill super-vortex of nastiness, vomit, cigarette butts, cellulite and hypertension a few doors down to the north.

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

Got the build your own OG beef cheek taco with the pink habanero sauce  and the green chile chicken taco.

Both were good.  Will go back and try other stuff.

This joint is far better than the nasty Checker's that used to be in the building there. All of the Checker's nastiness go sucked into the Frank's Grill super-vortex of nastiness, vomit, cigarette butts, cellulite and hypertension a few doors down to the north.

Frank’s Grill is good, but I have soft spot for greasy spoon diners. 

Jackie’s Kitchen is also pretty solid. 

Neither are ever going to make Allison Cook’s best of anything, but they’re pretty good for a hot breakfast and cups of coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Neither are ever going to make Allison Cook’s best of anything, but they’re pretty good for a hot breakfast and cups of coffee.

Seconded on Jackie’s kitchen. I think they remodeled during the corona shut down period, have been meaning to go back.

Chicken and Waffles with bacon added into the waffles is my go to

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Seconded on Jackie’s kitchen. I think they remodeled during the corona shut down period, have been meaning to go back.

Chicken and Waffles with bacon added into the waffles is my go to

Good to see there are some others that aren’t afraid to slum around.  Too many fancy Nancy high fliers on this thread.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 8:28 PM, b_p said:

Might’ve missed it but any opinions on Bludorn?

Went last Saturday. Highlights were the Tuna, Risotto, and Wagyu.  Ravioli didn't taste as good as it looked. I thought the lobster pot pie was just okay, others really liked it. Oysters were fine. Great drinks.

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

First weekend in the new house Just GRK is on the menu. 

I’ll probably get shouted down because it’s a chain, but the Firehouse Subs in Hedwig Village slams. It slams hard. 

have to slum it over here (charnwood rent house) for 9 months or so while our house is finished being built- damn i love southwell's and fu's.

Edited by riloh05

have to slum it over here (charnwood rent house) for 9 months or so while our house is finished being built- damn i love southwell's and fu's.
Fu's is the only Chinese restaurant anyone at the office ever wants to go to. Bored of it. Million Chinese places in town. But, "Chinese?" always means Fu's.

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Other than Avalon Diner, are there any good greasy spoons in the Memorial area? 

Buffalo grill? I’m not at all a fan of their egg dishes, but they make some of, if not, the best pancakes in town. Certainly the best pancakes near where I live 

Edited by Fat Bastard

Went to a new place in Missouri City that's easy to get to off the Fort Bend Toll road called "Alex's Kitchen".  They opened first week in March just as pandemic hit...

After hearing some buzz on the place wife and I checked it out. Definite hole in the wall shopping center looking place but holy crap their food is the real deal.

Calamari appetizer was outstanding. Had a chicken and mushroom white wine dish and was excellent as well.

Nice wine selection.  Service was definitely more 5 star than shopping center. Very reasonably priced as well.

Masraff’s, Treebeard’s, and Texadelphia are all open now at 10 and Bunker Hill. The latter two face Gaylord St. Tiny’s Milk and Cookies is opening soon in the same spot.

I’ve only tried Treebeard’s so far since they were the first to open, and after getting take out twice I found it much better across the board than the downtown locations. No one is going to mistake it for Brennan’s but it was better than the last couple of times at Ragin Cajun.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to Ostia on Dunlavy on Saturday for lunch.  Will be going back.

We shared the caeser salad, Mussels w/ white wine/butter/jalapeno and some big crusty bread, and a 4 cheese pizza bianco.

Food was great, weather was perfect, great patio and we ran into an old server friend of my wife's family

On 11/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, Mack Tripper said:

Masraff’s, Treebeard’s, and Texadelphia are all open now at 10 and Bunker Hill. The latter two face Gaylord St. Tiny’s Milk and Cookies is opening soon in the same spot.

I’ve only tried Treebeard’s so far since they were the first to open, and after getting take out twice I found it much better across the board than the downtown locations. No one is going to mistake it for Brennan’s but it was better than the last couple of times at Ragin Cajun.

I know where the wife is picking up my lunch this week. What day is the duck gumbo?

On 11/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, Mack Tripper said:

Been to this new treebeards 3 or 4x now.  So happy with this new option in the hood.  I went last week and texadelphia wasn't open though.

17 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Went to Ostia on Dunlavy on Saturday for lunch.  Will be going back.

We shared the caeser salad, Mussels w/ white wine/butter/jalapeno and some big crusty bread, and a 4 cheese pizza bianco.

Food was great, weather was perfect, great patio and we ran into an old server friend of my wife's family

if you didn't get the carbonara there you need to correct that tactical error immediately.    nevermind.  you said ostia.  I was thinking antica osteria on bissonnet.  we are hitting ostia friday night.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

What do you usually order? The menu looks kind of limited, and they don't post their daily specials online. 

I am a sucker for a good bowl of red beans n rice with sausage/cheese/onions and cornbread.  So that 3x and once got a chicken fried chicken.  Cfc was good, not great.   

I'm trying to get a stuffed pork chop at some point but can't time it right.

Ftr, I used to be more regular at ragin Cajun but with this TB much more convenient, hard for me to cross 610 galleria for something similarish.  Although must admit, RC cornbread > TB cornbread.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got take out from Texadelphia tonight. It’s a pretty big, nice space with plenty of TVs. Food was same as always. Only negative was that the mustard blend isn’t free flowing in bottles at the table like at the Vintage and was the case at the old Dunvale location. You have to ask for the little containers like back in the day.

10 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Got take out from Texadelphia tonight. It’s a pretty big, nice space with plenty of TVs. Food was same as always. Only negative was that the mustard blend isn’t free flowing in bottles at the table like at the Vintage and was the case at the old Dunvale location. You have to ask for the little containers like back in the day.

Parking is a bit of a pigfuck...