New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Owners of Heights Bier Garten are opening up a new all-in-one complex near corner of Washington and Waugh.

The Kirby Group, the hospitality company behind Heights Bier Garten and Holman Draft Hall, has picked Washington Avenue for its next project. Construction has begun on Buffalo Heights Bier Garten.

Like Heights Bier Garten, the property will contain a cocktail bar — similar in style to Wooster’s Garden and Worcester’s Annex — as well as a separate building that will house a wine and beer bar with 100 taps. 

Emma Jane Bakery will occupy a white house that will be constructed on the property. The Kirby Group makes already makes hamburger buns and other breads for both its establishments and wholesale clients such as Blood Bros. BBQ and Riel. Emma Jane will expand those offerings and add a selection of pastries such as cookies, cakes, and croissants. It will also serve coffee prepared by baristas. 

A dedicated butcher shop will produce items such as sausages, charcuterie, and pates and break down whole animals for use at Degust, Kirby Group culinary director Brandon Silva’s recently opened tasting menu restaurant in Spring Branch.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-22-21-buffalo-heights-bier-garten-new-bar-emma-jane-bakery-the-kirby-group-washington-avenue/

18 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Texas grad and college buddy of mine just opened Memorial Trail Ice House. He did a fantastic job. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-12-19-memorial-trail-ice-house-new-bar-washington-avenue-juergen-building-john-shaeffer/#slide=4

Interesting location. Canyon Creek does a lot of business because it backs up to the park. We'll see if people want to walk across Westcott. I wish him well. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Interesting location. Canyon Creek does a lot of business because it backs up to the park. We'll see if people want to walk across Westcott. I wish him well. 

I think CC does a lot of business because it's a known commodity. getting around that area blows otherwise it would be even more popular than it is.  I actually think getting in and out of the ice house location across Wescott might be be better and easier for rideshare and general traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
All that said, you can grab a bagel at a random deli on the subway in New York City and it’s better than anything we have done here. 

Unless shit has changed (a lot) in the last 10 years, I’m unable to disagree with this more. Egg on a roll, sure, but the typical deli bagel is just as mass-produced and shitty in NYC as it is in most major cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Berg planning 2 new restaurants for opposite ends of 11th street.

The owner of BB Lemon and B&B Butchers on Washington Avenue has two new concepts in the works for the Heights as part of a collaboration with developer Ancorian.

“To have two outposts in one of Houston’s most dynamic and fastest-growing neighborhoods is an incredible opportunity for us,” Benjamin Berg of Berg Hospitality Group said in a news release.

Berg Hospitality hopes to first open Trattoria Sofia, an intimate Italian restaurant named for Berg's firstborn daughter, in May, after redesigning the space at 911 W. 11th St. to be “Houston’s most whimsical dining room and patio, reminiscent of a lost garden,” according to Berg.

In a more ambitious project, Ancorian is redeveloping a 50,000-square-foot commercial warehouse at 2505 W. 11th St., Houston, into a mixed-use facility that will include an 8,000-square-foot, yet-to-be-announced restaurant by Berg. The project, called The Docks at Timbergrove, will begin construction in March and is targeted for a January 2022 opening.

In addition to the restaurant, it will offer 30,000 square feet of retail and 20,000 square feet of covered parking.

911 W 11th is the old Presidio, which has been vacant since a fire back in 2018.

Edited by Storm the Field

Unless shit has changed (a lot) in the last 10 years, I’m unable to disagree with this more. Egg on a roll, sure, but the typical deli bagel is just as mass-produced and shitty in NYC as it is in most major cities.

This. I’ve had shitty bagels in NYC and very good bagels in Houston.

27 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Down House unexpectedly announced that this past Sunday was their final day in operation after 10 years.

I know that restaurant group Treadsack was in serious financial trouble, but was there any explanation given? I haven't eaten there in some time, but there was also a line out the door for weekend brunch. 

Fingers crossed for Johnny's Gold Brick and D&T Drive Inn. I believe they're the only locations left standing. 

I know that restaurant group Treadsack was in serious financial trouble, but was there any explanation given? I haven't eaten there in some time, but there was also a line out the door for weekend brunch. 
Fingers crossed for Johnny's Gold Brick and D&T Drive Inn. I believe they're the only locations left standing. 

pretty sure neither D&T nor JGB have been part of Treadsack for quite some time.

Not necessarily new, but I went to Bravery Hall tonight for the first time tonight. Pretty cool spot - had some good wines and out of all the dishes we got, the ones from the sushi place and the blind goat (Thai/Asian) were the best we had. Didn’t try anything from the Italian place but it looked good as well. We used to go to the conservatory before baseball games but this might be the new spot for pregaming. 

Just now, Etexhorn13 said:

Not necessarily new, but I went to Bravery Hall tonight for the first time tonight. Pretty cool spot - had some good wines and out of all the dishes we got, the ones from the sushi place and the blind goat (Thai/Asian) were the best we had. A couple of people that used to work at Uchi run the sushi place btw. Didn’t try anything from the Italian place but it looked good as well. We used to go to the conservatory before baseball games but this might be the new spot for pregaming. 

On 11/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, Ted Lange said:

Anyone tried out this new BBQ joint on Shepherd across from HEB?

https://www.pipersbarbecue.com/

Still haven't been as there's nothing on the menu (literally) my wife can/will eat. But for anyone who cares, it's the same folks who own Pressley's.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, Storm the Field said:

Ben Berg planning 2 new restaurants for opposite ends of 11th street.

911 W 11th is the old Presidio, which has been vacant since a fire back in 2018.

Read about this last week. I'm pretty excited, that steak house is walking distance from our house. 

On 5/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, mycox said:

Acme Oyster Hose is moving in the where El Real was. I've never been because why wait in that line when you can go to Drago's.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/5/11/21254974/acme-oyster-house-opening-houston-expansion-new-orleans

Opening up sometime in April according to latest update.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Do you guys have any interesting brunch recs in-town? I’ve been to most of the institutions, so something new or less obvious would be welcome 

I would welcome an old or obvious recommendation for brunch, if you’re willing and/or able. Gonna be at The Westin downtown and very rarely make it out for breakfast when in town. Wouldn’t mind tackling a kickass brunch date with the wife (no pics) on an upcoming trip. 

11 minutes ago, After irth said:

I would welcome an old or obvious recommendation for brunch, if you’re willing and/or able. Gonna be at The Westin downtown and very rarely make it out for breakfast when in town. Wouldn’t mind tackling a kickass brunch date with the wife (no pics) on an upcoming trip. 

Don’t love the downtown spots, but Xochi, Indianola, or hearsay market square (not on the green, which is next to you, but not as good) are what I’d do if I’m staying in the area 

Lot more options if you head out a little more 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, After irth said:

I’m listening...

Sadly, some places closed during the O&G downturn (Danton's, Baba Yega, Michaelangelo's, Canopy), and now even more have closed down during covid (Downhouse, Emmaline), but here are some that come to mind (keep in mind I haven't been brunching as much the last few years, which is why I asked for some recs earlier in the thread)

Breakfast Klub (no reservations, long line outside)

Harry's

The Dunleavy

Common Bond

Backstreet Cafe

Ouisie's Table

Cadillac Bar and Grill

Hobbit Cafe

Brasserie 19

Guadalapana 

Max's Wine Dive

Hay Merchant

Blacksmith

Empire Cafe

Brasil

Vibrant

Hugo's

Cyclone Anaya's (for bottomless mimosas)

a'Bouzy

Snooze

Federal Grill

Liberty Kitchen

Weights and Measures

UB Preserve

Present Company

In/near downtown, the three places I recommended should be good. If you want to venture a little farther out, let me know what you're looking for and I can help narrow the list 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sadly, some places closed during the O&G downturn (Danton's, Baba Yega, Michaelangelo's, Canopy), and now even more have closed down during covid (Downhouse, Emmaline), but here are some that come to mind (keep in mind I haven't been brunching as much the last few years, which is why I asked for some recs earlier in the thread)

Harry's

The Dunleavy

Common Bond

Backstreet Cafe

Ouisie's Table

Cadillac Bar and Grill

Hobbit Cafe

Brasserie 19

Guadalapana 

Max's Wine Dive

Hay Merchant

Blacksmith

Empire Cafe

Brasil

Vibrant

Hugo's

a'Bouzy

Snooze

Federal Grill

Liberty Kitchen

Weights and Measures

UB Preserve

Present Company

In/near downtown, the three places I recommended should be good. If you want to venture a little farther out, let me know what you're looking for and I can help narrow the list 

The Dunleavy is a really cool spot. 

• 2 weeks later...

We had a surprise party at our ranch this weekend for my sister in law’s birthday.  We hired Monica Pope to cater.  She made all these Mediterranean apps for cocktail hour and chicken skewers with steak, simple salad and flash fried Brussel sprouts and cauliflower as sides.  Damn it was a good meal.  

I really like her cooking.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We had a surprise party at our ranch this weekend for my sister in law’s birthday.  We hired Monica Pope to cater.  She made all these Mediterranean apps for cocktail hour and chicken skewers with steak, simple salad and flash fried Brussel sprouts and cauliflower as sides.  Damn it was a good meal.  

I really like her cooking.  

That’s pretty cool. Boulevard Bistro was our go-to occasion spot back in the day.

Harry's
The Dunleavy
Common Bond
Backstreet Cafe
Ouisie's Table
Cadillac Bar and Grill
Hobbit Cafe
Brasserie 19
Guadalapana 
Max's Wine Dive
Hay Merchant
Blacksmith
Empire Cafe
Brasil
Vibrant
Hugo's
a'Bouzy
Snooze
Federal Grill
Liberty Kitchen
Weights and Measures
UB Preserve
Present Company

Danton’s is still around. Moved location and is now Eugene’s.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:21 PM, After irth said:

never been for brunch but I've hit it many times pre game. always good food and horrible service. https://www.ossoandkristalla.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/OSSO-SPRING-2021-2.pdf

potente next door has a damn good bar and great food 

• Like 1

DCA is probably correct, but I still prefer Pappas Bros. And I like their thick, heavily breaded onion rings.
Pappas is always the correct answer but a filet assuming they can cook it to your request is going to be the same anywhere. You go to Pappas for the dry aging program. And the service.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

never been for brunch but I've hit it many times pre game. always good food and horrible service. https://www.ossoandkristalla.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/OSSO-SPRING-2021-2.pdf

potente next door has a damn good bar and great food 

Thank you for this.  We stay at The Westin, so we spend a lot of time misbehaving at Osso & Kristalla.  The staff there treat us well.

Have not ventured into Potente however.  Looks incredible.

2 minutes ago, After irth said:

Thank you for this.  We stay at The Westin, so we spend a lot of time misbehaving at Osso & Kristalla.  The staff there treat us well.

Have not ventured into Potente however.  Looks incredible.

ive had many many many many drinks at that bar, never tried the food but it looks damn good

vic and anthony's bar has a great burger too 

• Like 1