New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

14 hours ago, Fud said:

What’s good now downtown (not midtown or montrose) nowadays for a date night that’s not a steakhouse or Xochi?

Nancy’s hustle is also a fun spot on the other side of 59. A little more laid back/funky than something like Xochi, but great food and cocktails. 

7 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Nancy’s hustle is also a fun spot on the other side of 59. A little more laid back/funky than something like Xochi, but great food and cocktails. 

Cool place, been there several times

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to Porta'Vino (Washington, north of I-10) on Friday. Place is a great option if you're looking for a nice night out without breaking the bank. They sell some solid wines at almost zero markup over retail and the food is very tasty Italian fare. Wild boar bolognese on pappardelle was one of the best pasta dishes I've had in a long time. 

Bottle of wine, arancini appetizer, salad, entree and dessert came out to just $100 for me and the wife. 

Recommend grabbing a reservation a day or two in advance as tables fill up quick. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

How’s Loro ?

Wife and I went for lunch a few weeks ago with our baby (note - at 2PM on a saturday every other new parent in Houston has the same idea). Everything was really good… the chili rice noodle dish was a nice app, the elote was good but not our favorite. She had the smoked bavette and I had the turkey, both of which had a great combo of smoked and Asian flavors. Would definitely recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Etexhorn13 said:

Wife and I went for lunch a few weeks ago with our baby (note - at 2PM on a saturday every other new parent in Houston has the same idea). Everything was really good… the chili rice noodle dish was a nice app, the elote was good but not our favorite. She had the smoked bavette and I had the turkey, both of which had a great combo of smoked and Asian flavors. Would definitely recommend. 

let me know when your wife is free to go !

46 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

How’s Loro ?

I thought it was great. We ordered a lot - agree the Turkey was really damn good. 

About an hour wait on a Friday night in April. Drinks were good, the patio bar is nice. Like the ordering system too

Edited by Js1

kinda disappointed the smoked salmon dip was moved to happy hour when i tried to order it on thursday, but everything was fantastic.  brisket, turkey, bo ssam, corn fritters, wonton dip, zucchini, flank steak, potatoes, and peach cobbler were all top notch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I figured this might get more traction in this thread, so here goes: my birthday is in a few weeks and I’ve got a couple friends from New Orleans coming into town for it. They take us to great spots when we visit them so of course I want to return the favor and have a nice birthday meal. I have reservations at Hugo’s since it’s one of my favorites in town, and I figured I could show them Anvil before since it’s so close, but does anyone have any other suggestions that I’m not thinking of? I’m ok with the plan as is but we have kinda settled on several places we like and it might be fun to add something new into the mix. 

28 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I figured this might get more traction in this thread, so here goes: my birthday is in a few weeks and I’ve got a couple friends from New Orleans coming into town for it. They take us to great spots when we visit them so of course I want to return the favor and have a nice birthday meal. I have reservations at Hugo’s since it’s one of my favorites in town, and I figured I could show them Anvil before since it’s so close, but does anyone have any other suggestions that I’m not thinking of? I’m ok with the plan as is but we have kinda settled on several places we like and it might be fun to add something new into the mix. 

Present Company is pretty solid. Women like it. Drinks are decent. 

32 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What about Bludorn? Short Uber over to Anvil after dinner. Also, Anvil is opening a new bar called Refuge in the upstairs space of what was Penny Quarter and Tongue-Cut Sparrow.

edit to add: Bar No. 3 at the La Colombe d’Or is a solid pre-dinner cocktail spot.

Edited by royiv

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Present Company is pretty solid. Women like it. Drinks are decent. 

I’ve looked at this place before and almost been, looks neat but yeah if it’s mostly patio that’s probably a no go as far as not wanting to show up to dinner soaked through my shirt lol.

27 minutes ago, royiv said:

What about Bludorn? Short Uber over to Anvil after dinner. Also, Anvil is opening a new bar called Refuge in the upstairs space of what was Penny Quarter and Tongue-Cut Sparrow.

edit to add: Bar No. 3 at the La Colombe d’Or is a solid pre-dinner cocktail spot.

Bludorn was definitely under consideration, as I’ve been wanting to check it out anyway. How’s parking at Bludorn? Valet? I’m drying out for a while so I’m gonna end up driving and at lest at Hugo’s you can park in the neighborhood around it. Will need to check out this Bar #3

Turning 31, btw, if that helps for suggestions. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

10 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I’ve looked at this place before and almost been, looks neat but yeah if it’s mostly patio that’s probably a no go as far as not wanting to show up to dinner soaked through my shirt lol.

Bludorn was definitely under consideration, as I’ve been wanting to check it out anyway. How’s parking at Bludorn? Valet? I’m drying out for a while so I’m gonna end up driving and at lest at Hugo’s you can park in the neighborhood around it. Will need to check out this Bar #3

Not sure about parking at Bludorn. Wife and I live over in the Hugo’s and Anvil area so we just Uber when we go to Bludorn. As a note, Hugo’s has some construction going on right now. Everything in front of the building is torn up (landscaping, sidewalk) and they’re completely rebuilding the patio on the west side of the building.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ah, I politely disagree. 

Postino is good if you’re an old and married. You gotta really like wine though. No liquor license. Terrific happy hour though. Everything is like 40-50% off. 

Positino is okay. I pop in for a cheap glass of wine every now and then, but would never take an out of town guest there. It’s a chain out of AZ and the wine list is very limited and all the wines are in $10-15/bottle retail range. It’s the Starbucks of wine bars.

1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I think either way, you’re going to sweat through your shirt, but I get what you’re saying. 

a’Bouzy is another popular spot with the ladies. Large patio, but there is indoor seating. 

The drinks are really good at State of Grace. Cool spot. They were raw oyster bar only until 6 pm for a stretch. Kitchen was strangely closed during happy hour. 

The River Oaks locals swear Giacomo’s. 

Lizard’s Pub is over there too. The New Orleans folks might like it because it’s one of the weirdest bars in Houston.

Poison Girl is a very respectable whiskey dive bar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Take them to get something you can’t get in NOLA and/or unique to Houston, like Hugo’s. Everyone I’ve taken there from out of town loved it. 

Honestly the most fun dinners I’ve had taking people from out of town were at El Tiempo or Original Ninfa’s. Everyone loves margaritas and the sizzling meat platters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Take them to get something you can’t get in NOLA and/or unique to Houston, like Hugo’s. Everyone I’ve taken there from out of town loved it. 

Honestly the most fun dinners I’ve had taking people from out of town were at El Tiempo or Original Ninfa’s. Everyone loves margaritas and the sizzling meat platters. 

i was going to suggest el tiempo or ninfa's. let the ritas flow 

Turning 31, btw, if that helps for suggestions. 

7 dollar valet. Parking can be done on the street. I recommend Bludorn. PM me if you need help with a table.

If you stay with your original plan there also Rosie Cannonball and La Grange and Goodnight Charlies all right there for other drink/bite options.  For something they likely cant get in NOLA then Hugos is a great call.  Best margaritas in the city for my money.  I lived a block away for years.

3 minutes ago, huge said:

If you stay with your original plan there also Rosie Cannonball and La Grange and Goodnight Charlies all right there for other drink/bite options.  For something they likely cant get in NOLA then Hugos is a great call.  Best margaritas in the city for my money.  I lived a block away for years.

Goodnight Charlie's has been closed since the pandemic shutdown. They're renovating it into another restaurant.

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good riddance. That place sucked. Least authentic “dancehall” in Texas. 

Wife and I had some good times there, the best being a Dolly Parton drag show during Pride weekend so, yeah, probably not that “authentic.” 😀

12 minutes ago, mycox said:

Goodnight Charlie's was great It was the only place to see good and free live music.

Loved the Sunday morning Bluegrass jam. We would go and drink and watch the very serious dancers who would come out. Good times.

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good riddance. That place sucked. Least authentic “dancehall” in Texas. 

Not to pile on but "authentic dancehall" and Montrose dont necessarily go hand in hand.  It was great for what it was.

• 2 months later...

Him deciding to separate from all of his restaurants leads me to believe that MLB partners fucked up or tried to fuck him over in some way.  I don't think it has anything to do with Chris' business acumen or lack thereof.

If they try to continue all those restaurants without him they're definitely fucked.

11 hours ago, mycox said:

He's a good guy and does a lot of good for the industry. I wish him well.

I have a feeling his investors fucked him over. Re-open Hay Merchant and Underbelly and make it what it was.

He'd have to do it elsewhere, I'm sure the hospitality group owns those properties outright or at least has the leases as they sit empty. 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

He'd have to do it elsewhere, I'm sure the hospitality group owns those properties outright or at least has the leases as they sit empty. 

They don't own the building. They leased it. Not sure what the status of the lease is. Sucks that the UB Preserv space has been leased by some shitty coffee shop. I was hoping Nick Wong would take it over after he left Underbelly Hospitality earlier this year.