New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Looking at all the steak houses we have I just don't see going to pay $150 for a bone in ribeye.  Maybe if it's some seriously elite meat, 40oz and for two people.  Otherwise, Pappas, Vic and Anthony, Steak 48, Mastro, the porterhouse at DaMarco, STW, Killens, Del Frisco, etc are all better options.  Hell the wagyu strip at Flemings is one of the best value steaks in town at about $50.  I'm actually offended at the prices at Georgia James, especially considering how expensive 1/5 Steak was and how underwhelming my steak was at that place.  

• 2 weeks later...

60 for a pizza? That better be a big and amazing pizza.

Finn Hall is opening December 3. The 20,000-square-foot Finn Hall will house 10 food vendors:

Spoiler
  • Goode Company Taqueria from local brand Goode Company Restaurants.
  • Low Tide from Alli Jarrett of Harold’s Restaurant & Tap Room. 
  • Mr. Nice Pie from Brandon Young, who’s behind Moon Tower Inn, Voodoo Queen Daiquiri Dive and Love Buzz. 
  • Dish Society from Aaron Lyons
  • Mala Sichuan Bistro from Cori Xiong and Heng Chen
  • Amaya Coffee from Max Gonzalez, who owns Catalina Coffee and Amaya Roasting Co. 
  • Craft Burger from Shannen Tune of Craft Burger Food Truck. 
  • Oddball Eats from food truck owners and siblings Rani Francis and Rene Francis
  • Sit Lo from Jay Le, Adrienne Le and Jeff Jacobson of Bowl’D Up food truck. 

Oz Rey issues 12- to 24-month operating licenses for its tenants to ensure that tenants are constantly changing, HBJ previously reported. Additionally, Finn Hall — named after Alfred Finn, the architect of the JPMorgan Chase Tower — will have two bars operated by Oz Rey: 

• St. Jac’s will be in the main hall with vendors and will offer craft beer, wine and cocktails.
  • Swallow’s Nest, an Art Deco bar, will be on a mezzanine level above Finn Hall and will serve cocktails. 

Finn Hall's hours are expected to be Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.; Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.; Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.; and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Click here to read more about Finn Hall.

Edited by mycox

2 hours ago, mycox said:

Finn Hall is opening December 3. The 20,000-square-foot Finn Hall will house 10 food vendors:

Hide contents
  • Goode Company Taqueria from local brand Goode Company Restaurants.
  • Low Tide from Alli Jarrett of Harold’s Restaurant & Tap Room. 
  • Mr. Nice Pie from Brandon Young, who’s behind Moon Tower Inn, Voodoo Queen Daiquiri Dive and Love Buzz. 
  • Dish Society from Aaron Lyons
  • Mala Sichuan Bistro from Cori Xiong and Heng Chen
  • Amaya Coffee from Max Gonzalez, who owns Catalina Coffee and Amaya Roasting Co. 
  • Craft Burger from Shannen Tune of Craft Burger Food Truck. 
  • Oddball Eats from food truck owners and siblings Rani Francis and Rene Francis
  • Sit Lo from Jay Le, Adrienne Le and Jeff Jacobson of Bowl’D Up food truck. 

Oz Rey issues 12- to 24-month operating licenses for its tenants to ensure that tenants are constantly changing, HBJ previously reported. Additionally, Finn Hall — named after Alfred Finn, the architect of the JPMorgan Chase Tower — will have two bars operated by Oz Rey: 

• St. Jac’s will be in the main hall with vendors and will offer craft beer, wine and cocktails.
  • Swallow’s Nest, an Art Deco bar, will be on a mezzanine level above Finn Hall and will serve cocktails. 

Finn Hall's hours are expected to be Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.; Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.; Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.; and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Click here to read more about Finn Hall.

I walked by there the other day.  If they're opening Dec 3, they best get their ass in gear.  

We hit Eunice last night.  Neat place.  Samples the duck poppers.  Execution on these was a bit of a miss.  The bacon wrap on some of them was grossly undercooked.  The crisp boudain was phenomenal.  THough, they should just call it fried boudain balls.  That's what they are.  They were exceptional.  The bbq lobster was another highlight, and the beed duo was pretty flawless.  I would definitely go back, and recommend.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

We hit Eunice last night.  Neat place.  Samples the duck poppers.  Execution on these was a bit of a miss.  The bacon wrap on some of them was grossly undercooked.  The crisp boudain was phenomenal.  THough, they should just call it fried boudain balls.  That's what they are.  They were exceptional.  The bbq lobster was another highlight, and the beed duo was pretty flawless.  I would definitely go back, and recommend.  

Was there was last night as well...shrimp and grits were on point. fried boudin balls were tits. my poppers were awesome. bandera quail was real good. enjoyed the other dishes as well...i will be adding this into the rotation. 

Edited by riloh05
  • Like 2

I realize I should have known better.  I had hoped when the Otto's moved over to Penzoil with the new location that maybe they'd defy the odds and possibly offer something at least resembling edible bbq.  Nope.  Not even close.  I know....I know,  I know.  They've always sucked and I should have known better.  I had very low expectations, but basically gave it one shot due to it being in my building.  There is ZERO shot any of that meat has ever been in anything other than a gas powered oven and maybe has had some bit of liquid smoke spritzed on it, but it cooked off during the roast.  My God, despite my incredibly low expectations they managed to not come anywhere close to meeting them.  How does this place remain in business?  I have no idea.  Utterly horrific.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I realize I should have known better.  I had hoped when the Otto's moved over to Penzoil with the new location that maybe they'd defy the odds and possibly offer something at least resembling edible bbq.  Nope.  Not even close.  I know....I know,  I know.  They've always sucked and I should have known better.  I had very low expectations, but basically gave it one shot due to it being in my building.  There is ZERO shot any of that meat has ever been in anything other than a gas powered oven and maybe has had some bit of liquid smoke spritzed on it, but it cooked off during the roast.  My God, despite my incredibly low expectations they managed to not come anywhere close to meeting them.  How does this place remain in business?  I have no idea.  Utterly horrific.  

Cheeseburger

• Like 1

I bought an extra prime shirt rib pho from les noodle the other day.  Took it to work for lunch today.  I’d strongly urge you to go get some of this. It’s about a pound of meat and that broth is the most rich I’ve ever had. It’s  limited time menu special. And quite special it is. I may go back for dinner again today.  

not new, but we did the Sunday Supper at State of Grace again last night.  It might be the best deal in town - $29 per person for five courses.  Everything we had was simply outstanding.

first course - biscuit, country ham, and jelly

second course - green salad

Entree - chicken fried steak and gravy topped with a fried egg. (other choices available were pan seared red snapper, T-Bone, cavatelli with short rib, duck casoulet, fried chicken).

Sides for the table - potato casserole, squash, Brussel sprouts (our three choices from the menu of eight options - you get three choices for the table).

Dessert - Chocolate bourbon pecan cupcake.

Menu from last night (it changes each week - although some are carryovers each week - CFS, Fried chicken, etc.)

http://stateofgracetx.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/SOG_SS_111819.pdf

Edited by MAROON

On 11/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

I liked it, but yeah the large is too expensive, could probably feed a bunch of people. Think the order here is 2 or 3 slices, which are like 4-5 bucks a slice. 

18 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

dang.  that stinks. It's sooooo worth it.  Best Pho ive ever had.  THe broth is so rich, and that rib just takes it to another level over the typical meat in pho.  

Close to my house.  Didn't realize they were doing this sort of thing now.  Posrep.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, riloh05 said:

Was there was last night as well...shrimp and grits were on point. fried boudin balls were tits. my poppers were awesome. bandera quail was real good. enjoyed the other dishes as well...i will be adding this into the rotation. 

I am going to have to try this.  I am so behind on restaurants.  Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Not a restaurant, but the Marquis II closed this weekend as well. Had a lot of memories starting the night there, not as many memories leaving. 

wow.  I was just there last Thursday for the Cowboys/SAints game.  I know the owner, but haven't alked to him in a while.  Didn't hear it was closing.  Not surprised.  The never ending construction on bissonett is absurd.  I think these road projects that disrupt business  should have some pretty strict deadlines whereby they begin making up for lost revenue the longer they exceed their deadlines.  There is just simply no reason this shit should have gone on this long.  Youre flattening dirt, and pouring pavement.  jesus.  

Not at all surprised by Acqui either.  as my review said earlier in this thread, when we went we had an okay experience but certainly nothing that would make us go back.  A huge part of that was the server who totally missed the boat on what we wanted which was interesting considering we flat out told him "we have never been here before, we want to try as many of the signature/best dishes the chef would like to showcase".  That seems pretty clear to me, yet after a hard sell on the special of the night, which sounded amazing, he failed to include it in our meal and we had to add that ourselves.  Stupid.  

Edited by pepper brooks

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Not a restaurant, but the Marquis II closed this weekend as well. Had a lot of memories starting the night there, not as many memories leaving. 

Back in the early 90s you could get a jack and coke in the big tea glass for $6.  It was probably about 6 oz of booze and that $6 would go a long way.

3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Seems like just about everyone that spent any significant portion of their 20's in Houston has a total blackout story involving LIT's from the Deuce.

According to an old Houston Press article, you can understand why:

2 ounces Juarez tequila

2 ounces Castillo rum

2 ounces Heaven Hill vodka

2 ounces Taaka gin

Sweet and sour mix

Splash of Coca-Cola

Death in a glass.

15 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Seems like just about everyone that spent any significant portion of their 20's in Houston has a total blackout story involving LIT's from the Deuce.

According to an old Houston Press article, you can understand why:

Death in a glass.

I was there during the "research" for that Press article.  You know, for journalism.

20 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Damn.....my Marquis memory was watching the OJ chase there (we were there watching Rockets-Knicks game 5). The LIIT's helped ease a lot of pain back in the 90s.