New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

On 1/22/2021 at 6:41 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Pretty good, but it’s been a minute. If Fletch is right (he probably is) and K&Z buy their bagels from New York Deli, I’d put Golden Bagel in the 3 spot. I do think Hot Bagel is somewhat better than the others. I’m not sure what their secret is. They have a very small kitchen. It could be a texture/cream cheese thing. 

New York Deli definitely does it the right way. Boil, and bake. The owners are from the Northeast, and I believe they’re a Jewish Family. 

All that said, you can grab a bagel at a random deli on the subway in New York City and it’s better than anything we have done here. 

Their daughter is a Texas alum.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

had osso & kristalla for a birthday brunch on easter.  drinks were very slow to come out.  may have only been one bartender and they had a packed house in there.  boar tagliatele was good tho

their service is always slow. ive never had a bad meal there, the pizza is under rated 

While procrastinating at work, I looked up some newer restaurants I want to try soon

Tiny Champions- from the Nancy's Hustle people

MAD- from the BCN people. Not really that new, but I haven't been yet

93 'til- new place at the former Lowbrow/Night Heron building (not sure if it's open yet)

Ume- from the MF Sushi people

Bludorn- apparently is one of the hottest new restaurants in Houston

Ostia- some well known chef from Houston moves back home to make his first Houston restaurant. Across from one of my favorite breakfast spots, Guadalapana. I think it's dinner only, so it thankfully won't screw up Guadalapana parking

Also need to try Eugene's, and obviously Acme 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

While procrastinating at work, I looked up some newer restaurants I want to try soon

93 'til- new place at the former Lowbrow/Night Heron building (not sure if it's open yet)

Ostia- some well known chef from Houston moves back home to make his first Houston restaurant. Across from one of my favorite breakfast spots, Guadalapana. I think it's dinner only, so it thankfully won't screw up Guadalapana parking

They have valet.  I've had 2 great meals there...both lunch/brunch.  The hanger steak was one of the better things I've had recently

Others thought it was "mediocre at best".

I went to Musaafer recently for my sister's birthday.  It's a beautiful, ridiculously opulent restaurant in the Galleria..which I guess is why it's so unbelievably expensive.  

Service was knowledgable but slow. 

Food was delicious, but I feel like I could get the same food elsewhere for 1/2 the price.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

They have valet.  I've had 2 great meals there...both lunch/brunch.  The hanger steak was one of the better things I've had recently

I went to Musaafer recently for my sister's birthday.  It's a beautiful, ridiculously opulent restaurant in the Galleria..which I guess is why it's so unbelievably expensive.  

Service was knowledgable but slow. 

Food was delicious, but I feel like I could get the same food elsewhere for 1/2 the price.

It shares a wall with Sak's 5th Avenue. Pricey is built in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Would you do the dining room or the greenhouse for lunch?

Edited by Fud

51 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I live less than a block away from Ostia and have eaten there a grand total of three times since they’ve been open. Mediocre at best would be a good summary of my feelings toward it. Sucks because my wife and I were really looking forward to having a spot so close that could be in our regular rotation.

Bludorn, on the other hand, just keeps getting better and better. My most recent meal there was a couple of weeks ago when I took a recruit there for dinner. One of the best meals I’ve had in Houston in a while and was a big hit with the person I’m recruiting.

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

I live less than a block away from Ostia and have eaten there a grand total of three times since they’ve been open. Mediocre at best would be a good summary of my feelings toward it. Sucks because my wife and I were really looking forward to having a spot so close that could be in our regular rotation.

Bludorn, on the other hand, just keeps getting better and better. My most recent meal there was a couple of weeks ago when I took a recruit there for dinner. One of the best meals I’ve had in Houston in a while and was a big hit with the person I’m recruiting.

At Ostia would you recommend sitting in the greenhouse or dining room for lunch, or no difference? 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

At Ostia would you recommend sitting in the greenhouse or dining room for lunch, or no difference? 

Not much of a difference in my opinion. Either way you’re going to have a pretty middle of the road meal. Nothing terrible, but also nothing great.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/7/2021 at 11:11 AM, Storm the Field said:

Houston's first Acme Oyster House opens Friday in the old El Real.

Apparently this was a hit.

Acme Oyster House, the popular New Orleans restaurant that opened in Houston’s Montrose neighborhood over the weekend, was so overrun with customers during its first two days of service that the restaurant was forced to close down temporarily in order to restock.

“Y’all kicked our butt!” the post read. “We are out of food, alcohol and everything but ice."

During Acme’s first two days of business, customers saw long lines outside and wait times up to two hours for a table. Acme tentatively plans to reopen on Wednesday.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:30 AM, Fud said:

Ostia was ok. Wife liked it more than I did, but I was trying to get in and out to go get vaccinated and also wasn't boozing. Good atmosphere. Unsure if I'll give it another more fair shot. 

Got Tiny Champions to go. Really good stuff. Will dine-in sometime soon to determine how it stacks up against Rosy Cannonball and Coltivare. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Overrated 

Couldn't agree more. Went there once a few months after it opened and thought it was overpriced and the food didn't stack up. MAD seems to be more about the decor and the scene than the dining. That being said, I think they do a great job at BCN.

On 4/8/2021 at 9:58 AM, royiv said:

I live less than a block away from Ostia

We're neighbors. Haven't been to Ostia yet though. Been circling back to my old faves now that I'm vaxed. I just thought it was funny that the Ostia website said the chef "attended" the University of Texas, which I assume is a euphemism for "didn't graduate from".

Bernard

It's not new by any means and I'm embarrassed it's taken me this long to try it, but I finally got around to Nobie's.

You know those meals or dishes where after one bite, you look at your husband or wife across the table and kind of smile and your eyes go wide?

That happened last night after trying the Freak in the Sheets.   King Crab, with squid ink pasta, uni butter, smoked trout roe and lemon.

Top 5 dishes for me.

16 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

It's not new by any means and I'm embarrassed it's taken me this long to try it, but I finally got around to Nobie's.

You know those meals or dishes where after one bite, you look at your husband or wife across the table and kind of smile and your eyes go wide?

That happened last night after trying the Freak in the Sheets.   King Crab, with squid ink pasta, uni butter, smoked trout roe and lemon.

Top 5 dishes for me.

Always been curious about this place. They don’t take reservations, right? How big of a bitch is it to get a table there on a Friday or Saturday night?

8 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Always been curious about this place. They don’t take reservations, right? How big of a bitch is it to get a table there on a Friday or Saturday night?

That policy has changed..we had reservations.

The patio is first come, first served (I believe)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MAROON said:

going to Bludorn tonight.  An must haves from those tat have been there?

I have enjoyed most things there. I keep going back to the lamb. The Tuna and Gnocchi are enjoyable. The ravioli is popular, but I thought it was bland.  

• Like 1

Yia Yia Mary's is coming back from the dead.

A beloved Greek restaurant will reopen with a new name and a new location. Pappas Restaurants will rebrand Yia Yia Mary's Mediterranean Kitchen as Yia Yia Pappas, Pappas director of marketing Christina Pappas tells CultureMap.

Slated to open in the summer of 2022, Yia Yia Pappas will occupy the former Pappadeaux space at 2410 Richmond Ave.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yia Yia Mary's is coming back from the dead.

Excellent happy hour. They offered half priced lollipop lamb chops for years. I paid full price on my last visit before Covid, but it was worth it. 

I liked the original location more, but something is better than nothing. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Excellent happy hour. They had half priced lollipop lamb chops for years. I paid full price on last visit right before Covid, but it was worth it. 

I liked the original location more, but something is better than nothing. 

Yep, from 2011-14 I worked in that tower directly adjacent to YYM. Many pleasant afternoons were spent on the patio catching happy hour. 

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

I took a look at their wine list and it’s really weak. Seems odd for a high-end steakhouse to have a shitty wine selection.

Ha. That's not a selling point for me. At all. I like wine fine, but I'm no connoisseur. Lately I've been really digging vodka martinis with my steak. 

6 minutes ago, huge said:

be better

If you're suggesting Gin as opposed to vodka, sir, not only will I refuse to be better I will revel in a complete distaste in Gin.

If you're suggesting another drink entirely, well, usually it's bourbon but man we all go through phases. Maybe I'll do a Manhattan tomorrow night instead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you're suggesting Gin as opposed to vodka, sir, not only will I refuse to be better I will revel in a complete distaste in Gin.

If you're suggesting another drink entirely, well, usually it's bourbon but man we all go through phases. Maybe I'll do a Manhattan tomorrow night instead. 

There is a time and a place for everything.

Manhattan >>> "vodka martini"

And your distaste for gin seems on brand.  Hatred being what it is these days.

Cheers

• Haha 1

I wouldn't recommend King Ranch Texas Kitchen for dinner. I would recommend it for drinks. Really good margaritas and ranch water (the kind actually made with tequila and Topo Chico, not that canned shit). There were several other cocktails that looked promising. It's a spruced up Saltgrass Steakhouse with a solid patio. 

On 4/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, Fud said:

Going to MAD tonight; you guys have any must-gets there?

I forgot about this thread and I’m late here but catching up. I fucking love BCN. I went to MAD and could not believe how mediocre I thought it was. I’ve heard mostly the same from others, so it surprised me to see that you liked it. 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Team dirty vodka martini, here, but not with my steak. It’s my pregame steak routine, followed by the steak paired with a Bordeaux. 

I was at B&B last night, among other places, I guess my question is, why not both? I had rye manhattans, dirty martinis, red wine. We can all just get along with these drinks. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I forgot about this thread and I’m late here but catching up. I fucking love BCN. I went to MAD and could not believe how mediocre I thought it was. I’ve heard mostly the same from others, so it surprised me to see that you liked it. 

We really enjoyed the small plates, deserts, and drinks, but the larger entrees were mediocre. Enjoyable experience overall

"New" Masraff's on I-10 is great. Food was excellent and the service was fantastic. Meatball and Fried Green Tomatoes for appetizers. Both great. I had the short rib, my wife had the red snapper and both were delicious. Creamed Corn and Brussels sprouts for sides. Sticky Toffee pudding for dessert. New location is more modern than the old one on Post Oak. Seafood heavy menu, but something for everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1