New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Chicken Station
This place is affordable and delicious. It's the same chef that used to run Latin Bites when it was downtown. He left Houston for a couple of years and is back. It's a bit out of the way at 7001 Harrisburg Boulevard.

had to look up where this is. i’ve lived in houston for 30 years and don’t think i’ve ever been within 2 miles of that spot.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:50 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Not a restaurant, but the Marquis II closed this weekend as well. Had a lot of memories starting the night there, not as many memories leaving. 

just read on Facebook.  Under new ownership and will reopen today at 2:00pm.  All is not lost.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 10:32 AM, DaysOff said:

Met my wife at the Marquis II. Spilled a 4 dollar long island iced tea on her.

They were $2 way back when on Thursdays, between those and the frozen screw drivers at volcanos not sure how our livers survived 

Someone on the staff?

These are my kids, Cristian and Olivia. There is nothing they love more than coming to work with daddy early Saturday mornings.
I spend a lot of time away from home. I’m at work early and I get home well into their sweet dreams. The last 4 years have forced me to spend more time at the bar because hiring more staff just wasn’t realistic. Time lost with your wife and children doesn’t show up on a PNL.

I made a promise to my son long ago that daddy wouldn’t always work so much 
and one day the Marquis II would be his. I intend on keeping that promise.

My wife and I made the decision to purchase the Marquis II. Thank you to George for his patience in this process and for the 27 years he has given to the community.

There is much work left to do and we will need your help. We ask that you stop by and be a part of our story and allow us to be a part of yours.
The Marquis II has been called a lot of things over the years; dive bar, frat bar, college bar, hole in the wall, and the place where everybody knows your name. But the name I’ve always liked best is “neighborhood bar.” That means part of the community.

The public outcry has meant the world to me these last few days. I read every text, message, email, and post. I appreciate all who reached out. You see, I made a promise to you as well. I promised to do everything to keep the doors open. I also intend to keep that promise.

So, with all due respect to Swamplot, “quit” is just not a term I’m familiar with.
The Marquis II is under new ownership and opens at 2:00pm today. We look forward to seeing you.

I ate at Oddball, it was meh. Colleagues had Low Tide and they said it was ok.  I should have gone for Dish Society, Mala or Sit Lo.  The pizza place and another place weren’t open.

Overall it seemed like a cool place and hopefully it won’t be that crowded after a little while because it was pretty hectic and took more time than I like to grab lunch.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, pepper brooks said:

Supposed to go to Tribute (new Houstonian restaurant that used to be Olivette) tomorrow night.  we will see if that holds.  will report back. 

Wife and I did Tribute last night.  We had the crab appetizer and it was very good.  We shared the smoked wagyu short ribs and they were the richest meat I have ever eaten.  We could not finish our 1/2 portions.  Excellent smoke job.  We drank a bottle of Leviathan wine that was good.  Finished up with the churro dessert.  Overall a very good meal.  They have completely remodeled the old Olivette and bar next door.  The bar is pretty neat but the restaurant still has a hotel feel to it.  We will go again.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 10:00 AM, pepper brooks said:

agree.  That place and Local Foods are the same to me.  They make high quality food, but its generally flavorless and lacking in proper portions of protein.  

Agree that Dish Society sucks, but the Crispy Chicken and/or the truffled egg salad sammy at LF slam and go hard

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anyone tried Bisou yet?  Wife made us a reservation for Monday night.  

I wanted to try it the other night, but the boss lady said all of her friends who have gone said it sucked something fierce.  That had more to do with the pitiful service and general chaos of the place than anything, but the food reviews from them were not all that great either.  

On 12/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, tx ind said:

Finn Hall was a complete cluster today for lunch.

I went yesterday. It was packed but thought it was a pretty good setup. Needs more seating obviously but went with a big group and still got a table. I bet in a month or so when everyone knows the drill and the newness has worn off it will operate as efficiently as say Treebeards.

Mrs. Laz and I hit BB Lemon yesterday before the theater.  Still haven't eaten at B&B so don't have a frame of reference for how the two compare.  The burger was good, if undercooked.  Very much a classic, no-frills, PJ Clarke's-type burger.  It's got a decent vibe going but I feel like I need a couple more producing wells in my portfolio to really fit in 

I'm having low tide from the new Finn Dining Hall.  The she crab soup is really good.  Super rich.  cannot imagine more than a cup would ever be possible.  I am also having the beer battered fish, and while just a touch too greasy, is really good as well. PLace is definitely solid.  would go back.  While I was waiting on Low Tide to get my food ready for pick up I went over to the coffee place (Amaya).  There were 4-6 girls in line.  I was going to get a coffee to go.  Solid fail.  I waited about 10 minutes and never made it to the register.  How can it be that hard to order a f*cking cup of coffee?

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I'm having low tide from the new Finn Dining Hall.  The she crab soup is really good.  Super rich.  cannot imagine more than a cup would ever be possible.  I am also having the beer battered fish, and while just a touch too greasy, is really good as well. PLace is definitely solid.  would go back.  While I was waiting on Low Tide to get my food ready for pick up I went over to the coffee place (Amaya).  There were 4-6 girls in line.  I was going to get a coffee to go.  Solid fail.  I waited about 10 minutes and never made it to the register.  How can it be that hard to order a f*cking cup of coffee?

4 to 6 orders of upside down half caf skinny soy macchiatos, plus orders for their coworkers that no one bothered writing down?  how long could that take?

should be able to get a brewed cup on the honor system.  put a buck in the jar and you can refill your yeti from the cambro. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, pepper brooks said:

I wanted to try it the other night, but the boss lady said all of her friends who have gone said it sucked something fierce.  That had more to do with the pitiful service and general chaos of the place than anything, but the food reviews from them were not all that great either.  

Welp.  We went anyway. And it was terrible.  Wife ordered flounder.   She needed a steak knife to cut it.  Rubbery and tough.  Won’t go back to Bisou

Not a Houston restaurant, but may come in handy for anyone traveling to Dallas. We hit rapscallion last week in Dallas/greenville area. The crab dip appetizer and everything else was really top freaking notch. Highly recommend. They had an unapoened bottle rip van winkle 12 year lot b that I tried buy. They wouldnt sell it to me. I even offered to pay whatever the price would be if they sold it off drink by drink.  

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, DCA_HORN said:

I went yesterday. It was packed but thought it was a pretty good setup. Needs more seating obviously but went with a big group and still got a table. I bet in a month or so when everyone knows the drill and the newness has worn off it will operate as efficiently as say Treebeards.

We went last Saturday for brunch.  Not too bad.

Go to the bar upstairs.  They will take your order from any restaurant and bring it to you.  I think we ordered something from almost every place and all of it came out within a few minutes of each other.

Feges is darned good. If you haven't tried it already, I'd recommend the half chicken. Best smoked chicken I've had in my life.

The last time I had the babyback ribs, they weren't very good. It was disappointing because it's what they're known  for. 

Their sauce is an abomination. My theory is that owner is an old school Central Texas BBQ guy, and hates sauce so he made it so bad that people just wouldn't use it. 

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any good spots in Greenway Plaza? 

Eunice looks interesting. Tony's is solid, but nothing exciting. 

I'm also looking for happy hour recommendations. Going to Kirby Icehouse all the time is getting old. 

For nearby, I like State of Grace and Le Colonial for dinner.  

On 12/27/2018 at 4:31 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Any good spots in Greenway Plaza? 

Eunice looks interesting. Tony's is solid, but nothing exciting. 

I'm also looking for happy hour recommendations. Going to Kirby Icehouse all the time is getting old. 

Had dinner at Eunice a few days before Christmas with some friends.  Thought it delivered well.  Menu is small, but everything we had was spot on.  

Pit Room owner continuing to branch out:

The recently shuttered Cane Rosso location in Montrose won’t stay empty for long. Sambrooks Management Company, the local restaurant group behind The Pit Room, Sam’s Chicken & Donuts, and others, has assumed the lease and will open a Tex-Mex restaurant in the space.

Those efforts will build off the Tex-Mex dishes that have always been part of The Pit Room’s offerings. Popular dishes like the brisket fat tortillas, smoked chicken tacos, and chips and salsa will make the move down the street, while occasional specials like cabrito could find a permanent place on the menu

Wife and I went to Indianola for an early NYE dinner.  We had high expectations given Coltivare awesomeness.  I would say it is good not great.  Part of the issue was service.  I asked the waiter if he wanted us to order all at once or should we order as we go.  He said he would be happy to course it out for us, but everything came out super fast.  A $200+ meal that should have lasted 90 minutes was done in 30.  The menu is kinda like they're trying to be UB Preserve, but not as creative/ethnic.  Given the number of new spots out there we've haven't tried, it will be a while before we go back.

Eunice is great btw.  Very surprisingly cool atmosphere given that it's in an office building.  Solid food/service at the bar.  Will def be going back.