New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

On January 8, 2019 at 2:01 PM, heinhorn said:

Wife and I went to Indianola for an early NYE dinner.  We had high expectations given Coltivare awesomeness.  I would say it is good not great.  Part of the issue was service.  I asked the waiter if he wanted us to order all at once or should we order as we go.  He said he would be happy to course it out for us, but everything came out super fast.  A $200+ meal that should have lasted 90 minutes was done in 30.  The menu is kinda like they're trying to be UB Preserve, but not as creative/ethnic.  Given the number of new spots out there we've haven't tried, it will be a while before we go back.

Eunice is great btw.  Very surprisingly cool atmosphere given that it's in an office building.  Solid food/service at the bar.  Will def be going back.

thanks for the Indianola info. I'm heading there tuesday for dinner hope my experience is better. Been to Eunice three times and each time has been enjoyable but its never very crowded/busy. Being off the street like that makes it kinda out of sight outa mind. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, Zwylde said:

Anyone been to Killen's new Mexican spot, TMX yet?

not yet.  Theyre on opentable, but I have not been able to attain a reservation at any time we can make it.  That's fine for now since I am on a fairly restricted diet anyway at the moment.  

Edited by pepper brooks

On 12/10/2018 at 2:56 PM, pepper brooks said:

We went to FM Kitchen for breakfast yesterday and came away pretty impressed.  I went full fat and had the CFS and eggs.  It was fantastic.   Definitely will go back.  Good menu overall.  

FM Kitchen's chicken pot pie sandwich is the best hangover food you can find. Their house margarita is pretty legit as well.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, Zwylde said:

Anyone been to Killen's new Mexican spot, TMX yet?

Heard it's damn good from someone that went to the soft opening.  I've been in Pearland since 2007, and every restaurant that's resided in that building has crashed and burned. Hoping this one stays. 

Went to La Vibra tacos the other day. Soft opening so they didn't have all the kinks worked out. The taco al pastor was good but otherwise meh. Considering the neighborhood it's in, I don't see it lasting long. Certainly don't need unce unce music with my tacos. Give me Cantina Barba anyday over this place, although Allison Cook might have ruined it with her recent article.

Truth BBQ at high noon today and the wait took an hour.  I would say that it was worth it, as the brisket and ribs were outstanding and the sausage was serviceable, but with Feges next door to the office, and the precision-machine efficiency of their line, it isn't reasonable as a regular lunch option.  I'm sure they will trim the wait time as they get their sea legs, because they've only got one cutting station running, and by the looks of it, they are equipped for three.  All in all I'd say it's an 8-9/10, and will almost certainly break the curse on that location.  And that pit room.  MOG

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra

• 4 weeks later...

Star Fish re-branding under new ownership.

When it reopens after a month or so of renovations, it will be named 1751 Sea and Bar.

Physical changes will be fairly extensive. The private dining room is being eliminated to expand the bar, particularly its community table. Former design elements like the fish tank and the rock and roll marlin will be removed. The new atmosphere will be "warm, inviting, and vibrant," according to a statement released by the company. 

Sambrooks culinary director Lyle Bento worked with executive chefs J.D. Woodward and Michael Nutt on a new menu that features dishes such as crawfish souffle, smoked duck gumbo, and paneéd flounder. The new menu's goal is to give diners the ability to choose either a traditional multi-course meal or split an array of shareable plates.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:13 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Truth BBQ at high noon today and the wait took an hour.  I would say that it was worth it, as the brisket and ribs were outstanding and the sausage was serviceable, but with Feges next door to the office, and the precision-machine efficiency of their line, it isn't reasonable as a regular lunch option.  I'm sure they will trim the wait time as they get their sea legs, because they've only got one cutting station running, and by the looks of it, they are equipped for three.  All in all I'd say it's an 8-9/10, and will almost certainly break the curse on that location.  And that pit room.  MOG

I finally got around to trying it.  I had brisket, ribs, sausage.  It was all well cooked, but the ribs and brisket were so bland.  No salt, no pepper, no smoke.  The meat was moist, but just void of any flavor at all.  THe lack of salt and pepper just didn't allow the meat to shine in any way.  My ribs were definitely extremely moist.  So moist in fact they were basically just mush, and again just a staggering lack of flavor.  the sausage was fine.  It was the most flavorful thing, but not from the smoke.  The sausage itself was made to be fairly spicy.  If not for seeing the pits, and seeing smoke and smelling smoke I would swear the place was simply oven roasting those meats.  I will grant they were well cooked.  They just need to introduce themselves to salt and pepper.  could do wonders for their food. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, Errestaurants said:

thanks for the Indianola info. I'm heading there tuesday for dinner hope my experience is better. Been to Eunice three times and each time has been enjoyable but its never very crowded/busy. Being off the street like that makes it kinda out of sight outa mind. 

Any updates on Indianola now that it has been open for a few months. I have a reservation tomorrow night. 

pepper brooks I really appreciate your posts here. I think your taste when it comes to food, wine and cars is impeccable.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Any updates on Indianola now that it has been open for a few months. I have a reservation tomorrow night. 

pepper brooks I really appreciate your posts here. I think your taste when it comes to food, wine and cars is impeccable.

Food was very good service was terrible.

Exactly what Greenspoint said.

I went to La Vibra Taco and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was an off night, but it should not take 15 minutes to get two tacos. I ordered Oaxacan cheese as an extra and it destroyed the flavor of the meet because there was so much melted cheese. The corn tortillas were falling apart. They should use two tortillas on the tacos. 

Texadelphia will always be below average food.

15 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Went there for a lunch a few weeks ago.  Liked it.  Had duck rice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Popped into to Texadelphia on Westheimer today for the first time in months.  WTF happened to the queso?  It’s now a bright orange gooey mess.  Makes me wonder if they are struggling and it’s a way to cut costs.

Probably

The location on Montrose sent out a coupon mailer.  Ouch

BOGO for a cheesesteak

Free Chips/Queso with purchase of a sandwich/burger

Also said they had free soft serve with any purchase.

It also doesn't help that Papa Geno's is around the corner and makes a superior sandwich.

7 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Probably

The location on Montrose sent out a coupon mailer.  Ouch

BOGO for a cheesesteak

Free Chips/Queso with purchase of a sandwich/burger

Also said they had free soft serve with any purchase.

It also doesn't help that Papa Geno's is around the corner and makes a superior sandwich.

It's pretty empty every time I've been in there to pick up some above average food. I'm going to have to start going more often so that it stays in business. I will never forgive myself if a Texadelphia next to my house closes within a year. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

It's pretty empty every time I've been in there to pick up some above average food. I'm going to have to start going more often so that it stays in business. I will never forgive myself if a Texadelphia next to my house closes within a year. 

I go for lunch about every other week and it looks like they do ok business but...  I haven't been in about 3-4 weeks.   But that location is terrible.   Parking sucks and access isn't great. 

Montrose café and bar going up in former Etro space

I was hoping for laid back bar where I could order a cheap beer or a wine for my date. I suppose this will do.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Montrose-cafe-and-bar-going-up-in-former-Etro-13700477.php

The former Etro Lounge nightclub in Montrose that closed last year and moved to new digs downtown will be home to a new all-day concept that will offer coffee, wine and a menu from a James Beard Award-winning chef.

Details for Penny Quarter – a Montrose Café & Bar were announced Tuesday, a project expected to open in early June from a team that includes the principals of Better Luck Tomorrow and the upcoming Squable in the Heights.

Situated just behind Anvil at 1424 Westheimer, Penny Quarter will be a two-level space inspired by Montrose's café and bar culture, serving high quality coffee, wine and a simple menu from morning to night.

The café and bar's wine list will feature about 100 options, in addition to a beer list and a small selection of spirits (no cocktails). The coffee program will draw from the best coffee available from roasters both local and national.

For the food menu, Yu will offer a morning menu of 10 to 12 dishes such as pistachio butter and burnt honey toast, spicy fried egg and bacon sandwich, and rice bowl with sausage and salsa verde. An evening menu of eight to 10 dishes might feature light snacks, salads and more substantial dinner options such as crispy grilled cheese and Yu's take on chicken and rice.

Edited by mycox

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

thank you, kind sir!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Has anybody tried Michael Berry's new BBQ place in Stafford? Republic BBQ?

4.7 stars on 608 Google reviews

Id never eat there (out of the way and I'm 15 min walk from Buck's), but ill guess some of those reviews are fanboyism at it's finest. I'd be curious to see someone here try it and write a review. 

Even though I know its not brand new but still fairly young on the scene Emmaline is a nice place with something on the menu for everyone and very well executed. The GM--I think or Som came over from Helen Rice Village so they a very eclectic wine list that is well priced. The wines by the glass have a nice selection including a 1986 Bordeaux as a selection. Anyways, had a nice dinner last night. 

Lotti Dotti will be moving into the old Brooklyn Athletic Club. Greenspoint should be happy because they will have the chef from Presidio.

Ronnie Killen is opening a new restaurant where Hickory Hollow used to be.

Edited by mycox