New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The one on Waugh that just closed?   Wonder what he is putting in.   That space is not very big and there is very limited parking.

Edited by elfenix
how the fuck do you fix quotes on this shit?

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The one on Waugh that just closed?   Wonder what he is putting in.   That space is not very big and there is very limited parking.

Unlike his other restaurants, no three letter suffix is required to explain the concept. Instead, Killen’s will consolidate under one roof the Southern-style comfort food that has been present at all of his restaurants in various forms. Whether it’s the fried shrimp that have always been one of the best dishes at Killen’s Steakhouse, the chicken fried steak that’s a favorite on the dinner menu at Killen’s Barbecue, or the brisket enchiladas that are a customer favorite at Killen’s TMX, they’ll all have a home at Killen’s.

“I’m excited,” Killen tells CultureMap. “It’s the best of what we do. We’ll have some barbecue items. We’ll have a beef rib, fried chicken, chicken fried steak. It’s good comfort food.”

Killen says he’s still working on the details. Sides like mac and cheese and the green beans from Killen’s Barbecue are obvious additions. He’s also got memories of eating soul food at a Pearland restaurant called Big Mama’s that served braised pork chops and dirty rice; he thinks he could put his spin on those dishes, too. Specials like meatloaf and versions of Killen’s staples like pork belly will also be included.

so, pretty much the same sort of stuff that hickory hollow served.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-25-19-ronnie-killen-new-restaurant-killens-comfort-food-101-heights-hickory-hollow-braun-enterprises/#slide=0

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Except for the minor point that it will now probably all taste good.  

Edited by pepper brooks

16 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

I can't believe Hickory Hollow lasted as long as it did. Actually I can given that there wasn't shit for restaurants in the Heights in the 90s and 00s.

I could never get over the people who would recommend that place when the "best CFS" in Houston question was asked.  They had a yyyuuuuuuggggggeeee CFS, but I never had a good one there.  thing was the size a freaking wagon wheel.  I ate there 3 times in my 25 years in Houston.  That isn't a large sample size, but given each time I ate there my CFS was tough, bland, and the batter falling off with the tough meat just steamed inside I could never warrant more than that.  place was terrible.  

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I could never get over the people who would recommend that place when the "best CFS" in Houston question was asked.  They had a yyyuuuuuuggggggeeee CFS, but I never had a good one there.  thing was the size a freaking wagon wheel.  I ate there 3 times in my 25 years in Houston.  That isn't a large sample size, but given each time I ate there my CFS was tough, bland, and the batter falling off with the tough meat just steamed inside I could never warrant more than that.  place was terrible.  

Runniest ranch dressing was an award they could have won...

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

limited indoor seating and prices that are on the high side wasn't going to be a recipe for success. though i liked the truck the one time i had it. 

Edited by elfenix

On 4/3/2019 at 12:42 PM, mushroomface said:

Just tried out New Spot Eatery on Westheimer in Westchase. They make a damn good burger, fries were not that good, not hot, and not crispy at all. Burger had cheese, fried egg, arugula, bacon, onion ring, and meat sauce. The meat sauce was the star.

cd0eedd88b7db3789442f35944901e2c.jpg

If meat sauce was the highlight I’m having a hard time believing it’s a damn good burger. I will also be glad when the overused fad of putting a fried egg on everything runs its course.  

Edited by pepper brooks

19 minutes ago, huge said:

Fried eggs are delicious and almost always voluntary

Get over it

I love fried eggs.  There are many times it's almost required.  The bacon enchiladas they serve at brunch at El Real would be totally incomplete without a fried egg.  It belongs.  there are countless examples where it's simply added because people ran out of ideas, but were still trying to be decadent.  It has become the "truffle oil" for this decade.  I love truffle oil too, but it was way overplayed for a good while.  

Sounds like Reef is finally close to coming back, 18 months after Harvey wrecked it. The bar area re-opens this week, and the restaurant later this summer.

I hadn't been in a while, even before the storm, but will have to check it out again. That crispy skin snapper used to be one of my favorite dishes in town.

Edited by Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Sounds like Reef is finally close to coming back, 18 months after Harvey wrecked it. The bar area re-opens this week, and the restaurant later this summer.

I hadn't been in a while, even before the storm, but will have to check it out again. That crispy skin snapper used to be one of my favorite dishes in town.

That's good to hear, wasn't sure they ever were coming back.  Place was great. Can't wait to go back to see what changes they have made.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, elfenix said:

limited indoor seating and prices that are on the high side wasn't going to be a recipe for success. though i liked the truck the one time i had it. 

I think they were going for a Whataburger style burger with a "clever" name and beer. The place was completely unremarkable. 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, Mack Tripper said:

I can't believe Hickory Hollow lasted as long as it did. Actually I can given that there wasn't shit for restaurants in the Heights in the 90s and 00s.

I liked their prices, the food was OK. Pretty good cheap steak. 

Hickory Hollow was not a beloved neighborhood establishment. I have no idea why Ronnie Killen feels the need to pay homage to it with his new restaurant in the same location. It's his place now, do whatever you want with it.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

RIP Presidio. Fuck yes

That place sucked ass. Hopefully something better will go there

The patio was legit. Burger was decent to good. I heard good things about their chicken fried steak, but it was never on the menu. I think they got too cute with a rotating daily menu. I'm fine with a seasonal menu, but when you have no idea what a place is serving that particular day, it makes it tough to commit. 

In other neighborhood news, Eight Row inexplicably pulled the skirt steak off their menu. 

Did bill Floyd bail on the partnership with caswell?  Is he still part of el real?  Will be interesting to see if reef can gain back some of its last glory. I haven’t been in a very long time. Last time we went was well before the hurricane, and the place seemed to have run its course. Food was pretty meh, service seemed uninspired, wine list was still good. 

• 2 weeks later...
Did bill Floyd bail on the partnership with caswell?  Is he still part of el real?  Will be interesting to see if reef can gain back some of its last glory. I haven’t been in a very long time. Last time we went was well before the hurricane, and the place seemed to have run its course. Food was pretty meh, service seemed uninspired, wine list was still good. 

Floyd and Caswell split a while back. He’s partnered with Jim Crane on a couple of restaurants by Minute Maid and is opening a BYOWine spot in Timbergrove.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, pepper brooks said:

Went to a birthday dinner at steak 48 last night and I can say the bone in strip I had was one of the top 5 steaks I e ever had. It was unreal.  Love that place. 

This is surprising to me.  I have not heard anything good.

Went to a birthday dinner at steak 48 last night and I can say the bone in strip I had was one of the top 5 steaks I e ever had. It was unreal.  Love that place. 

I might have to give it a shot. I usually get the bone in ribeye at Del Frisco's Double Eagle. Phenomenal steak. 

On 4/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, Storm the Field said:

The latest Yu/Heugel collaboration opens today in the former Southern Goods spot on 19th.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/4/23/18513166/squable-bobby-heugel-justin-yu-heights-opens

Any reviews yet? It was pricey, but I liked the chow at Southern Goods. 

I really liked all the food but agree with poster below that it’s overpriced. Good thing work dinners don’t come out of my pocket.

As of right now, I'd be hard pressed to drop a bunch of money at a steakhouse not named Doris Metropolitan.  Pappa's is fantastic, and I also have enjoyed every steak I've had at Steak 48, but Doris is such a unique dining experience compared to other steakhouses (with fantastic steaks, or course) that it's far and away my current #1.

As of right now, I'd be hard pressed to drop a bunch of money at a steakhouse not named Doris Metropolitan.  Pappa's is fantastic, and I also have enjoyed every steak I've had at Steak 48, but Doris is such a unique dining experience compared to other steakhouses (with fantastic steaks, or course) that it's far and away my current #1.

Yeah

Doris 1
B&B 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, Fat Bastard said:

Went to 1751 last week. Sat at the raw bar. Got the large iced platter. Was absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to go back

second the iced platter.  also the gin drinks are pretty good, as one would expect. 

3 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

i really loved my steak whenever I've gone to Doris, but I didn't find any of the sides appealing at all.  They pretty much are all a boring afterthought, and appear to be on the menu so they can simply say they have sides.  That said, their steaks are fantastic, but so are the ones at every other place.  In the end atmosphere and sides kinda separate them, or at least make you lean to one over the other because we have an outright glut of top notch steak houses here.  I don't go there much because those sides are lacking.  I do like everything else about the place, steak, atmosphere, wine list.  Problem is, that knocks them back from B&B, 48, Pappas, V&A, Del Frisco, Mastro's for me.  

i really loved my steak whenever I've gone to Doris, but I didn't find any of the sides appealing at all.  They pretty much are all a boring afterthought, and appear to be on the menu so they can simply say they have sides.  That said, their steaks are fantastic, but so are the ones at every other place.  In the end atmosphere and sides kinda separate them, or at least make you lean to one over the other because we have an outright glut of top notch steak houses here.  I don't go there much because those sides are lacking.  I do like everything else about the place, steak, atmosphere, wine list.  Problem is, that knocks them back from B&B, 48, Pappas, V&A, Del Frisco, Mastro's for me.  
The root puree is fantastic

Finally got around to trying Coltivare this past Sunday. Arrived at about 5:30, took maybe 40 minutes waiting out in the herb garden to get a table for 2. 

Based on recommendations, ordered the following:

Foccacia with Burrata

Black Pepper and Parmesan Spaghetti

Pizza with thinly sliced potatoes, goat cheese, pancetta and duck egg. 

All were very good and more than enough to split between wife and I.

Total, including 2 glasses of wine with dinner, and 2 gin and tonics while waiting only came to maybe $100. Worth the hype and the wait, IMO.

• Like 4

On 5/1/2019 at 11:41 AM, Planet Houston said:

This is the correct answer. Doris is tied at the top with Pappa's downtown for me.