New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Lots of good memories at P&P. Oh well, times change.

As for new places, we went to 1751 (something something) that used to be Star Fish. We thought it was great. Good service, food was excellent, and they don’t rape you on wine prices.

I has the amberjack seared with a side of their broccoli. Wife had the green curry shrimp. Both were excellently done.

We went for a quick dinner before a movie and I am looking forward to going back when we have more time to try out some other dishes.

As for new places, we went to 1751 (something something) that used to be Star Fish. We thought it was great. Good service, food was excellent, and they don’t rape you on wine prices.

Go have some drinks at the bar next time you’re there.

I'm heartbroken to hear about Pass and Provisions closing. I loved that place and we often ate there when visiting family in Houston. It was always the top of my recommendations list when talking about Houston restaurants. Hopefully Seth will get some much-needed family time. Running a restaurant takes a toll on family and demands constant time and attention. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that played a role in P & P shutting down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 5/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, ERhine said:

Go have some drinks at the bar next time you’re there.

I did just that last night and they were great.  And half price from 4-6.  Also had $5 crudo and $1 oysters.  Wish the HH went to 7 though.

Sipsmith VJOP is great gin with a silly name.

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ekko's Greek American Deli was featured on Texas Country Reporter today. Looks pretty good. Has anybody been? 

place has been around 15 years at least.  was good last time i was there but it's been a long ass time. 

I expect this should be pretty good:

Restaurateur Michael Sambrooks just opened the seafood-focused restaurant 1751 Sea and Bar this spring, and now his new Tex-Mex spot is ready to be unveiled this summer. Sambrooks and Sambrooks Management just announced that the restaurant will be called Cadente, slated to open in mid-July at 4306 Yoakum Boulevard in Montrose. That’s the space that was once home to Cane Rosso’s Montrose location 

Sambrooks is behind Montrose barbecue favorite The Pit Room, and his empire’s been growing since Sambrooks Management took over Pi Pizza and Star Fish from Cherry Pie Hospitality. (1751 Sea and Bar opened up in the former Star Fish spot). For this next project, Cadente will serve up classic Tex-Mex staples from a custom-built wood burning grill.

Went to Eunice a couple of nights ago for anniversary dinner. Thought it was great. Got the crab and avocado, bbq lobster, and crawfish empanadas for apps, and Gulf fish with cauliflower and crawfish etouffe for dinner with bread pudding for dessert. Thought it was all great. The bbq lobster was my least favorite thing. 

• Like 1

saw ninfas in the window a couple weeks ago.  there had been a ninfas at post oak/san felipe (NW corner, had been a ginormous oak tree back there until a few years ago).  looking at the wikipedia, i guess that was an independent licensee.  iirc that took over a carlos mencia's location (or maybe i have it the other way around).  i'll have to try los tios when it opens too

2 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Went to Eunice a couple of nights ago for anniversary dinner. Thought it was great. Got the crab and avocado, bbq lobster, and crawfish empanadas for apps, and Gulf fish with cauliflower and crawfish etouffe for dinner with bread pudding for dessert. Thought it was all great. The bbq lobster was my least favorite thing. 

Their weekday lunch specials are awesome. I strongly recommend it. 

Great restaurant, but I don't love the location. Greenway is what it is, it's a series of office buildings. Eunice would probably be getting Oxheart like hype/praise if it were Downtown/Montrose/Heights/Eado. 

Is the Agricole place in Eado, Vinny's any good? I love pizza by the slice. 

Another good meal at Rocco's in Northside Village tonight. I think the secret is getting out. The place was jumping. The Classic pizza is probably the best I've had in Houston. So simple, but so darned good. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Their weekday lunch specials are awesome. I strongly recommend it. 

Great restaurant, but I don't love the location. Greenway is what it is, it's a series of office buildings. Eunice would probably be getting Oxheart like hype/praise if it were Downtown/Montrose/Heights/Eado. 

The location is what it is, but it was jam packed on a Wednesday night. Actually caught me by surprise a bit 

Just now, Fat Bastard said:

The location is what it is, but it was jam packed on a Wednesday night. Actually caught me by surprise a bit 

It's flying up there for me in New Orleans style restaurants in Houston. It's probably a step behind Brennan's food, but it has a MUCH better bar.

If y'all are sick of eating s****y meals at BB's, please give Eunice a try. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is the Agricole place in Eado, Vinny's any good? I love pizza by the slice. 

Another good meal at Rocco's in Northside Village tonight. I think the secret is getting out. The place was jumping. The Classic pizza is probably the best I've had in Houston. So simple, but so darned good. 

Vinnys is dogshit for the price. One visit was more than enough for me. Worst of the agricole hospitality group, by far

On 6/8/2019 at 8:33 PM, ERhine said:

Went to 1751 Sea and Bar on Wednesday. The food and drinks were great.

This.  Went Friday.  Hamachi crudo, pork belly with kimchi, crispy skin snapper, dirty rice.  Everything was excellent, especially if you like gin.  They have the most of that.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Storm the Field said:

Has anyone been to this year's iteration of One Fifth? Going for wife's bday on Thursday and not sure what to order. The Kibbeh Nayeh (lamb tartare) looks pretty good.

Do the multi-course / chef’s recommendation option where they just bring you stuff. You can add anything you must have a la carte, but there’s a good chance it’s in the food they would bring you with the set option. And you don’t need to upsize to the “bigger” chef’s recommendation option, the regular one is more than enough food. 

Edited by Planet Houston

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 8:15 AM, Gourmand said:

I'm heartbroken to hear about Pass and Provisions closing. I loved that place and we often ate there when visiting family in Houston. It was always the top of my recommendations list when talking about Houston restaurants. Hopefully Seth will get some much-needed family time. Running a restaurant takes a toll on family and demands constant time and attention. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that played a role in P & P shutting down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

He’s spending a bunch of time out in Marfa - apparently he bought into a distillery out there, and may move there. Seth’s a great dude, I hope whatever he does makes him happy and makes him money. 

went to Poitin last night.  Inside is nice with sort of an industrial vibe.  Was loud as crap because they had a private function going in the bar area.  View of downtown last night at sunset was one of the best in Houston.

Good drink menu and prices for the drinks were fair considering my Smoked Old fashion was basically about three drinks worth.  Food was also pretty good - mushroom opener was on point. I had the soft shelled crab which was nice and the wife had the gnocchi in pork cheek ragu.

I would return because the drinks were so damn tasty.