ITC terminal fire

FartingMonk

How far is this from San Jacinto battleground? 

A little over a mile.

Can’t see the fire from my building in downtown because of obstructed view, but the smoke is going to be impressive when the sun comes up.

Yesterday around noon I saw the smoke as I drove towards the 5th Ward. I didn’t head out there to take pictures because I had my youngest daughter with me.

I bet all the tank farm operators adjacent to this farm are shitting their pants.

Spent a summer as a pipe fitters apprentice interning at an oil refinery (my mom was in crude purchasing and they had some program where employee kids could come and intern in the summer - I guess to get us to want to work in a refinery). That is a nasty f'in place. Everything there will crush you, burn you with fire, chemically burn you, etc.

Our fire crew was top notch though. They would go out to the local air force  base and cross train with those guys because we made the Jet A fuel they used. But I don't think even our fire crew and the local AFB crew would be able to put out the fire they now have there.

This is my industry.  This is a very, very bad fire, but not the worst.  As well-trained as the fire response teams are, you just have to let this thing burn and mitigate expansion to other tanks.  Unfortunately, the products burning produce so much heat that containing the fire has been impossible to this point.  

It's amazing to me that there have been no injuries.  Given the magnitude of this fire, that's a wonderful outcome.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Yeah, I’m assuming it’s going to have to burn out.

I live fairly close, and the smoke is nuts.

So far (from news sources), the tanks that are burning contain Naptha, Xylene, and Toluene.

Those are not great chemicals on their own, but I’ve no idea what the components of their combustion might be. The smoke might be safer than the original vapors. 

Worked at a petro plant in Pasadena a while back, so hits close to a past home. 

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

My daughter's moving today from Houston to Dallas.  Guess it's as good a day as any.

pm RespectableLawyer about some $ for the mental pain and suffering of this causing her to permanently evacuate.

Naphtha (/ˈnæpθə/ or /ˈnæfθə/) is a flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture.

Mixtures labelled naphtha have been produced from natural gas condensates, petroleum distillates, and the distillation of coal tar and peat.

In different industries and regions naphtha may also be crude oil or refined products such as kerosene. Mineral spirits, also historically known as "naptha", are not the same chemical.

Naphtha know how

1 hour ago, Mappable said:

grew up in deer park.   worked as a summer hand pipeliner after graduating high school. 

urban cowboy is my go to reference to explain what it was like growing up in deer park.

RIP Uncle Bob...

best line of the movie is from the burial scene..."the family car is waiting". I try to use that at least once a month   

17 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

That's a nice looking place.  Can you give us an update of the fire this evening when the wife is in the hottub drinking chardonnay?  

Fucking hottub, not hotter.  Damn autocorrect changed that twice on me.

Edited by Lhorn

Been following this since yesterday, company, county and city still rolling with "everything is fine", as far as air quality goes. I was in League City yesterday, read that, walked outside to see the black smoke and thought "I dont know guys..."