ITC terminal fire

FartingMonk

Took my first breath, where the muddy Brazos spills into the Gulf of Mexico.
Where the skyline’s colored by chemical plants to put bread on the table of the working man.
Where the working man does his best to provide safety and shelter for kids and a wife.
Given little love and soul every day. Making overtime to keep the wolves away.

(Enjoy whistling the hook that’ll now be in your head all day)

• Like 2

Flare up last night when they temp lost water pressure because pumps went out on a fireboat.  2 tanks containing pie gas now burning.  Also burning are tanks 80-3, 80-5, 80-6, 80-9, 80-11, 80-12, Bingo!

Edited by clapclapclap
I can vouch that pie gas is explosive.

As an aside, this is also my industry and I am on two projects now where we are building 10 tanks in two tank farms (not in Houston but close by). I sit a couple doors down from one of our terminal managers and of course he has been following all the news as it’s relevant to his interest. Better get his comments in on foam and fire suppression documents out for review!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thestud said:

This makes no sense, pyrolysis isn’t a material/substance but rather the degradation process of a material at high temps. Not giving you shit, it’s clear from the multiple posts after yours that this is something that was pushed out on the news. Still doesn’t make any sense.

Yes, it was said by the ITC comms person. 

1 minute ago, thestud said:

This makes no sense, pyrolysis isn’t a material/substance but rather the degradation process of a material at high temps. Not giving you shit, it’s clear from the multiple posts after yours that this is something that was pushed out on the news. Still doesn’t make any sense.

Well, when the company rep is out there speaking to the media, and they said Pyrolysis Gas or PyGas, that's what we typed out. 

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

I'm not in the industry, but it seems from a bit of Googling that pyrolysis gas or pygas is an industry term for a specific byproduct of cracking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolysis_gasoline

https://www.shell.com/business-customers/global-solutions/petrochemicals-technologies-licensing/pyrolysis-gasoline-processing.html

From that 2nd link:

Ethylene production through pyrolysis (steam cracking) produces several by-products, including a heavy C5+ stream. The C5+ cut is referred to in the industry as pyrolysis gasoline or pygas. Left in its raw form, the stream has little commercial value owing to its high reactivity and low stability. However, the stream contains many high-value components, such as isoprene, benzene, toluene and xylenes.

• Like 1