How Fox News works

retread

On 2/9/2020 at 10:48 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Well, Stephanie, maybe go back to high school and learn how to hold a press conference?

She's a lying cunt.  And immediately after she said that, Tapper tweeted at her that she was incorrect, and that she was invited on SOTU

22 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Stuck in an airport bar with Fox News on and I don’t think I’ve actually sat and watched it for a hour plus in a decade. It’s difficult to describe the insanity on the shows and the commercials. I don’t know which is worse. 

I belong to the local Elks lodge.  Cheap, cold beer.  Nice enough people.  I rarely go because every TV is always tuned to Fox News. 

I find Fox News offensive in general, but I find Fox News particularly offensive when there's a fucking game that could be on the TV instead.  It's a fucking BAR people. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

She's a lying cunt.  And immediately after she said that, Tapper tweeted at her that she was incorrect, and that she was invited on SOTU

She doesn’t want to appear on the other shows. She only want Hannity viewers to think that the Left networks and their viewers are closed minded, unlike them.

I also guess there is more to the story because she quickly says that even Fox’s Sunday show turned her down. Perhaps there were conditions on her and others appearances like statements only and zero questions.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 2/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

Ahhh now they’re roasting Mayor Pete. Fuck it, I’m only watching Fox News now. Give me a reverse mortgage and some free medical devices covered by Medicare. 

If you are a Bernie supporter and realize you have adopted right-wing talking points, at what point do you hear Ding Ding Ding.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Geraldo viewers will be nodding their heads because in his press conference, the President said this:

"And this is really an offshoot of that. So this isn't a czar. I don't view Mike as a czar. Mike is part of the administration. But I'm having them report to Mike. Mike will report to me. They'll also be reporting, in some cases, to both. I'll be going to meetings quite a bit depending on what they want to do and what message we want to get out." So if the President says Pence isn't a czar then he isn't a czar. Simple!

26 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

That dude is crazy. More of that exorcism type stuff. Trump is not Michael Clarke Duncan and it's rather an insult to the late actor and his movies.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Mdhorn said:

If you turned on Fox News on Thursday night to catch the ongoing Senate impeachment trial of Donald Trump -- only the third time in American history a president has faced such a proceeding -- you were sorely disappointed.

Fox wasn't showing the trial -- as CNN and MSNBC were. Instead, Fox ran its usual primetime lineup of pro-Trump voices with the trial confined to a small corner of the screen, without sound. Sean Hannity, the network's flagship host, called the entire impeachment trial a "snoozefest." The previous night, when Fox again ran its primetime lineup rather than live coverage of the impeachment trial, Hannity noted: "If I were a terrible host. I would force you to endure watching the regurgitation, the repetition ... the insanity that has gone on all day." 

In each episode of his weekly YouTube show, Chris Cillizza will delve a little deeper into the surreal world of politics. Click to subscUnless you have spent the last few years on another planet, that programming decision won't surprise you. Fox has relentlessly promoted and defended Trump -- and he has responded in kind by showering its hosts with coveted interviews.
But what's terrifying about how Fox News is choosing to cover (or not cover) the impeachment trial is revealed in new polling from the Pew Research Center delving into trust (or lack thereof) in the media.

Asked to name media companies in which they have trust, 65% of Republicans named Fox News. One in 3 named ABC. And that's it. Not a single other news source was trusted by even 33% of self-identified Republicans in the Pew poll. 

That's in stark contrast to both Democrats and the population at large. More than 1 in 3 Democrats named 13 media sources they trust. The general public named 8: ABC (48% trusted), CNN (47%), NBC (47%), CBS (45%), Fox News (43%), PBS (42%), BBC (35%), The New York Times (35%) and MSNBC (34%). (Note: The pollsters went through 30 media sources with the respondents.)

200124113534-pew-research-news-sources-e

Now, consider what those numbers mean. 

A majority of Republicans (and Republican-leaning independents) don't trust ANY media company other than Fox News. And two thirds don't trust ANY media companies other than Fox News and ABC. The next 3 most-trusted media sourced among Republicans? CBS, NBC and, wait for it, the Sean Hannity radio show -- all of which are trusted by 3 in 10 people. Eighteen of the 30 media courses that Pew asked about were trusted by less than 1 in 5 Republicans and Republican-leaners.

Combine those numbers with Fox News's overwhelming viewership numbers among Republicans (60% get their election news from Fox; no other outlet gets above 30%), and the marked difference between its content and that of all the other mainstream media outlets, and you see a major reason for why we are where we are, politically speaking.

If you only trust one news outlet and that news outlet is telling a very different -- and factually challenged -- version of current events, a massive disconnect is created. It's not too much to say that Fox News viewers are occupying a different (and less fact-based) reality than the people who seek out other sources for their news.

And it is into that disconnect, that information void, that Trump has leaped -- and now resides. What Trump has done and is doing is use his own massive social media following to amplify the messages on national news offered by Fox News. Trump regularly tweets and retweets Fox News segments to his 71+ million Twitter followers. He often directly quotes from Fox personalities. He works to create a totally closed information ecosystem for his supporters -- and largely succeeds.

That so many Republicans believe a) Fox is the only network to be trusted and b) trust in Trump despite his demonstrated lack of concern for telling the truth allows both the network and Trump to succeed. But their success comes at a price. A big one. And one that we will continue to pay for years and years to come.

I should be surprised by this but I am not. 

What actually does surprise me is CNN standing out relative to an outlet like NPR or the New York Times, both of which do provide really good political coverage (you don't have to read the latter's editorial board if you don't want to).

Edited by gmr548

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Good, hope il douche's minions believe it.  Let's get those rally numbers up!!!!!

What we really need to do is to round them all up, shake them around like rag dolls, beat the shit out of them with weapons a la Mark Fuhrman, and then piss on them before leaving them to rot.

And I don’t say this as a violent lunatic with zero conception of common sense. I say this because if they can’t be convinced to believe that fucking pathogens exist and can hurt them on the inside, why is that any more or less legit than believing we’d hurt them on the outside by beating the fuck out of them? I mean if you deny the existence of pathogens, why can’t you deny blunt force trauma, which is every bit as scientifically established as fact as pathogens have been? When you deny the existence of pathogens, you’re entering Make Believe and Pretend, and when you do that, there’s just no end to the list of bullshit to which you’ll devote yourself.

Edited by hpslugga

34 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Damn I miss Jon Stewart at times like this - he absolutely eviscerated Fox News for their bullshit. 

I have a dream that Bloomberg would work with Jon to produce ads to run on Fox News in the middle of their night time propaganda shows.  I know that it would go right over the standard Trumpkin's head, but it would be so fucking cathartic to me.

Edited by Gap03
Meant to link to 6:55. Special treats at 3:35 and 3:50, though.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Authoritarian propaganda is easy to write. You really don't gotta watch to know exactly what bullshit Fox News is going to be spewing. It's so predictable. 

But hey, a tweet supporting her was retweeted by Dotard, so she's golden. Will probably be invited to dinner at Mar-A-Largo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Authoritarian propaganda is easy to write.

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

But hey, a tweet supporting her was retweeted by Dotard, so she's golden. Will probably be invited to dinner at Mar-A-Largo.

Both of you put into words the feeling I had while watching that video----plus, it had the overwhelming feeling that one usually has with FNC of the female anchor auditioning/performing for an audience of one. The slow pauses and dramatic effects, tics, or whatever you want to call them reinforced (to me) that the audience of one was watching and loving it simply because it was so over the top.